Menu
Expat.com

televisions/stereos

Last activity 16 April 2013 by cadchr

BOBBY L.

I was wondering about bringing a small t.v. and bookshelf stereo into Mexico. Would this be a problem? I've seen posts that say immigration frowns upon t.V's. Any help appreciated(:

gudgrief
BOBBY L. wrote:

I was wondering about bringing a small t.v. and bookshelf stereo into Mexico. Would this be a problem? I've seen posts that say immigration frowns upon t.V's. Any help appreciated(:

Assuming you are coming in as a tourist, I don't think it would be recommended.  I remember reading that iPod and smartphone type devices are allowed.  Bigger than that, it's certain there would be a high import duty or they'd confiscate them.

Have you called the Mexican Consulate?

MexicoBob

Will have to call consulate. Will be living in Mexico on visitors pass. Thanks. Considering ZACATECAS, beautiful town.

cadchr

I drove across the border, using the Donna International Bridge, and brought my computer and a TV.  I just told them it was my personal property.  They won't care if the TV is yours and is used as personal property.  They just don't want you bringing property over that may be used for sales.   Just be sure it isn't in a box and tell them its for your personal use while you are in Mexico.

MexicoBob

Thanks, its a 13" w/ DVD. Not new.. and I have a bookshelf stereo system too. Thanks for info. Will b crossing @ piedras negras, or Laredo.

cadchr

While I can't guarantee it, you should be fine.  Just tell them its your personal property.  They typically won't care...they just want to make sure you have no weapons and no electronics you are trying to sell.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mexico

• Travelling to Mexico
    Travelling to Mexico

Most visitors to Mexico, especially those coming from North, Central, and South America and Europe, do not need a ...

• Retirement in Mexico
    Retirement in Mexico

Do you wish to retire in Mexico? It is, indeed, the dream of thousands of senior citizens across the globe. But ...

• Immigration check!!!!!  Welcome to Arizona, DF
    Immigration check!!!!! Welcome to Arizona, DF

I got stopped by immigration at the North Bus Station in D.F. Friday, after a longer than usual trip from ...

• Dating in Mexico
    Dating in Mexico

We can recognize an intrinsic spark of love in the Mexican culture, "la serenata." Remember that ...

• Leisure activities in Mexico
    Leisure activities in Mexico

Mexico has activities for everyone: from exciting adventure to peaceful relaxation, high culture to rowdy street ...

• Working in Cancun
    Working in Cancun

Cancun and surrounding areas are popular destinations for both tourists and expatriates alike. Cancun is the ...

• Accommodation in Cancun
    Accommodation in Cancun

Like in other parts of Mexico, the best way to find accommodation in Cancun is by searching for one while ...

• Travelling around Mexico
    Travelling around Mexico

One of the best parts about living in Mexico is being able to travel across the country. Mexico may appear small ...

All of Mexico's guide articles