Menu
Expat.com

Belize vs USA - Cost of Living

Last activity 19 November 2013 by msdeb51

xcaret

I wonder if the roads are all paved . Being a Harley rider myself ,this might be a major concern.Do you mibd having parts you might need sent in? Like oil filter.and oil maybe ..
The more I read on this forum , the more I think Chatumal might be a better choice ..

4evrHawk
Stacman wrote:

Does the country allow auto, or even motorcycle (Harley) imports, or is it best to purchase a vehicle there?

Cost of living is of great interest, but I read article after article and never seem to find a consensus on costs.  So I'm more concerned with knowing if a 57 yr. old could live comfortably on a half million dollars?

Thanks!

Well seeing as you only have half a million, I promise you can live confortly on a blow up bed on my floor.

doglady

"Paved" is a matter of opinion. My answer would be, not paved to the standards of American or European roads. Some places; San Pedro is one and Caye Caulker is another, have cobblestone roads which are newer in some places. But for a rider, this is not equivalent to paved. And there is a rainy season there that reeks havoc on roads. YEARLY. Even the roads that are generally asphalt or concrete, some are in VERY bad condition.

Importing cars and trucks is expensive. I think about 40 % of its perceived value. Look around on this forum and others and you will find the details. The Belizean Government website is a little hard to navigate for specific questions but has a lot of the information you need. But motorcycles I am unsure of.

As far as how much you could live on? Again, look at some of the opinions of others; add in your own knowledge of what "comfortable" means to you and divide it into where you choose to live. I think it was Lan Sluder that said "If you want to make a small fortune in Belize; start with a large one." But seriously, some people live comfortably on less than 1000 a month- I knew a person in Caye Caulker that did for years. And being an island the costs were a little more there. The government QRP Program expects that $2000 a month is enough to keep you from becoming a burden on the country.

Taco Girl's blog does a cost of living comparison fairly often and there are others here that can tell you what things cost generally speaking, in different areas. But make sure your list in pretty comprehensive. I have been doing research for a long time--7 or 8 years now and I find that the lists you find may not be complete.They usually included lights, water, rent and food but leave out other things. Don't forget things like health insurance, entertainment, charities if you plan on giving, etc. And if you believe a lot of what you read here and elsewhere you will need cash aside to replace stolen property. It seems funny to say but my guess is that home owners insurance is not a common thing to have there.

Now, lets talk Harley. There are a lot of garages that can get a motorcycle running and maybe do a good enough job. But Harley is different. Its not a bike that you can retrofit odd parts really easily. Import taxes on parts are pretty high and there is only one or two guys in Belize and Mexico that really know how to fix one correctly. Harley might have a place in Mexico by now, I'd Google that and see if you get lucky.

Good luck and keep looking around. You'll find all the information you need; just not in one place. God Speed.

Stacman

Well seeing as you only have half a million, I promise you can live confortly on a blow up bed on my floor.

Thanks, but sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like that.  That's just what I have to work with.  I won't have a pension, and only a $1,500/mo. VA benefit, so once I move there I don't plan on coming back.  I want to leave the US for so many reasons that are beyond my control.  I want out before they regulate the life right out of everyone, and tell me I can't have a Christmas Tree.  You get the point.

David

drumultaberei
LoveBelize wrote:

Hi,  We lived in Belize for 3 years total and in Chetumal Mexico for 7 years.  Cost of living is really what you want to spend.  We live in a 2 bedroom home.  We live on $1,200. U.S. Social security a month.  We live as good if not better than we did in Florida with both of us working.  I get over $500 a month which we do not include in our cost of living.  Save most of it and go on little trips too. So the people who say it costs as much as the U.S.  are certanly overpaying or living high on the hog.  LOL

Hi,

Do you rent there or own the place? Do you have Internet, health insurance includedd in your budget? And how many people?
Thanks.

dodgerday

Do you know of a good place to rent (furnished) for a month in Corozal (June'14) that is reasonably priced and will allow a small dog-15 lbs.? We're having a house built in the Colony Estates subdivision and want to be there during the final month of construction. Thanks. DODGERDAY

4evrHawk

The dog thing usually is the real deal buster.

Most places do not want dogs, I rented for a week at the Hotel Maya with my malty pooh...she weighs 8 ILBs.

She is well behaved and house broken...I took her across the street every morning to the park.

The Hotel staff loved her...so they took a chance and rented me a 2 bedroom apartment.

I would suggest you call Rosey at the Maya in Corozal and see what she says. You can also call Gwyn at the Sea Breeze and check with him.

Other than that you will have to contact a rental agency, and I'm sure they will help you out.

I don't have a clue what your budget is, but there are a number of places available.

dodgerday

Thanks. I'll definitely follow up on your suggestion. Any place that's reasonably nice in the range of $500-600/mo. would be OK.

4evrHawk

If you are talking 500-600 US money...you will find something nice very easily.

dodgerday

Yes, US $---sorry I wasn't more specific. Your news is encouraging. Thanks.      RICK

LoveBelize

2 people.  Internet, cable TV, Cost of Dr.s here only $3.00 a visit.  Meds are discounted.

LoveBelize

Yes we rent.  I never have a problem with my dogs.  Have a chichua, German Shepard died of cancer.  She was old.  We do our own clean up with the poos and I never let them do it in other peoples yards.  You have to be careful walking them because a lot of people let their dogs run loose.

popeye1

xcaret the roads in belize are for 4x4`s,you cannot drive a harley there and any parts will have to be shipped in from mexico,and myself owning a custom harley,i only have qualified mechanics work on my bike,not a lawnmower garage.the infrastructure is not set up there to drive luxury vehicles,its a raw country,beautiful but no luxuries,you`de be better off bringing a dune buggy.i was in honduras last year and the main highways there are in poor shape and this country is more developed than belize.no body seems to fix anything in these countries,but its not just there i was in montreal,quebec last week and its about just as bad,but thats because the mafia runs the construction industry.and if you looking for parts,you wont find any original manufactured parts.

popeye1

xcaret most people moving to belize do so because its english speaking and theres no inheritance tax or capital gains tax,but in exchange you are giving up luxuries and reliable electricity and water,roads,etc.it actually costs 20% less to live in san juan or ponce,puerto rico,which is controlled independantly but owned by the united states than it is in san pedro,belize and they speak english there.there actually in talks again of canada taking an interest of the turks and caicos from the british and its a little more expensive than belize but theres no comparison to standard of living.

drumultaberei

Thanks for the information.
I forgot to ask, do you have air conditioning?

mrlee879

xcaret, I see Harleys driven in Belize every year. Some dirt roads are not for big bikes but most of Belize has decent roads enough to drive a Harley.

xcaret

Would anyone ( in their right mind ) actually drive from Canada to Belize vith a Camper van and motorcycle traier behind ? I'd like to visit for a few months.. Would there be anything I should beware of at the border entry point ?
Neil

Texblondi2

It's true the roads in Belize do not compare to the US roads, Belize doesn't have the infrastructure that the US has.. It also doesn't have the taxes either!!

When I was in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye in April this year, I met a couple that had driven their Harley from Big Bear, CA to Guatamala and then through Belize, to Belize City where they left their Harley Parked in the Lobby of a Hotel while they spent a week in San Pedro and Caye Caulker.. They said they had no problem the entire trip and all the roads were pretty good.. I understand the Hummingbird Hwy. is the only really good road in Belize.. But you can ride a motorcycle pretty much all over the country..

Stacman

Well, that brings up another question.  If you ride it (or even drive a car) are duties still collected?

Big Bear is just a bit north of me...

Texblondi2

If you are "staying" in Belize, then yes..

http://www.belizenorth.com/importing_vehicles.htm

Importing Vehicles into Belize

We've gotten a lot of questions about the vagaries of bringing your vehicle into Belize, either to visit or for good.  Here are some answers, good at this moment. (August 2002)

If you're visiting... As a tourist, you can bring a car in for up to a year but there may be some hoops to jump through.  Read about them here. 

If you're coming in to stay... If you're really relocating to Belize, you may want to pay the duty and get it over with.  Find out how much you can expect to pay here.

What kind of vehicle?  What are the roads like?  Do you need a 4-wheeler?  Is there an ideal Belize vehicle?  Here are some of my ideas.

If you're Qualified.   If you qualify as an approved retired person under the QRP  program, you can bring in a personal car, boat, and/or airplane. 

You might also want to check out these web sites to get an idea of how much you may be expected to pay if you plan on staying in Belize.

http://belize.visahq.com/customs/http://www.customs.gov.bz/rate_motor_vehicles.html

Stacman

Thank you for taking the time to respond Texblondi, you've been a great help.

I've been bouncing around researching Belize, Ecuador, Lake Chapala, Mexico, and Panama, but I think I've taken Ecuador off the list and am narrowing it down to Belize and Panama.  Texas was my first choice, but the right job hasn't turned up there.  So I might as well retire early and get out of California.

Thanks again!

Texblondi2

You're welcome..

I don't know what sort of job you were looking for but there are a lot of them in Texas right now compared to other States.. And the cost of living is a lot more affordable in Texas then in CA..

If you can retire early, then do it, I wish I could afford to retire now, but I can't for a few more years.. But if you need a few more years on your nest egg, just keep looking and something will come up..

I thought about Ecuador too, but I bought a lot on Ambergris Caye and went down there in April. I loved San Pedro and the people I met and I'm happy with my decision to retire there.  Panama sounds nice too, it does offer a higher standard of living than Belize does..

Good Luck in whatever you decide..

kristinanadreau

Panama=biting insects

kristinanadreau

Stacman.........   people who have lived in Belize a long time all agree that the best way to answer all the questions is to come here and spend 6-12 months renting and checking things out.   so much is dependant on life style choices and personal perceptions.   We have lived here 6 weeks and remain optimistic.   Financially, if you have your lifetime benefit of $1500/month plus your $500k, you could live a comfortable life here IF you are ready to live quietly.  If you want to hit the bars daily, maybe  not so much.

xcaret

What about Chetumal ???
I have never been to Belize , but spent a lot of time around Cancun.( not in the hotel zone) They have WalMart, and good roads busses everywhere you want to go , and cheap.. Any kind of booze you want ,and I love the people ..no crime either ..
So after reading the few negative posts here that might discourage a person from moving to Belize , I have been wondering for some time ..What about Chetumal ? I like what Ive read about Corozal ,which is next door. Other than the language ,is there much difference ? I hear people go shopping there from Belize . Yeah I know there's no beautiful beach front like further south but lots of Belize isn't near a beach anyway .
Years ago when I was hanging out around Cancun,I took a few Spanish lessons and was doing not to bad talking to the locals ( oh, the odd one would turn and walk away in frusteration ,but the merchants were all used to badly spoken spanish,lol. )
From what I know of the the area , I think without going to Belize for a look see,( which I want to do ) I'd choose Mexico..
Is there tax laws ,or property laws that make Belize more attractive ? Being a Canadian I can become a "non Canadian resident " and pay no tax on money earned outside of Canada . 
I don't think you pay tax on income earned outside of Belize to the Belizian gov. either ..Mexico ,I don't know..

popeye1

xcaret contact mexico mike,google his name,he has been around mexico and belize for over 25 years,you will not get the services or goods in belize that you will get in mexico,but belize has beautifull country,its just the lack of infrastructure,goods,electricity,i was looking to live in belize as well but after seeing what it has to offer in terms of what im accustomed to im looking toward playa del carmen or fajardo,puerto rico.they have world class medical you wont get in belize.and its acually cheaper to live in mexico and puerto rico than belize,unless your in the corozal area,and theres nothing there,you would have to go into chetumal,mexico and pay duty crossing and items you bring in.people will tell you that when you buy property in mexico you dont own it,thats not true,there are over 1 million americans right now in mexico,and thats just americans,that does not include canadians,europeans,there are only 300,000 people in belize and that includes locals.most people are afraid of change and differences thats why a lot of people head to a country that has a lot of expats and english speaking.belize has good tax laws at the moment regarding overseas income and capital gains taxes,but panama is better and puerto rico is similar to belize,they speak english there and its run totally separate from the united states.you can live on ambergrise caye which very expensive or live on the mainland,but i would do more research unless you want to live a very limited lifestyle.

xcaret

Thanks Popeye1, I will google mexico mike . Yes Playa Del Carmen is nice too. I hear it's grown like crazy .. I loved the whole area , ( that's where my login name came from) I loved xcaret's underground river you float down and everything else . Well the Mayan Strip of beach from about Tulum on up has attracted millionaires by the dozen , so I'm sure there are more in stores than in a less populated town.
I'm going to tour Belize for sure . I feel like a traitor writing this . Also Lake Chapala area is tempting because of the spring like weather ..
I think Belize has such beauty that one a person visits they could become hooked .. I grew up in a shack with no electricity, gas, phone , or runnung water ,and I'm not looking to join the millionaire club ,and I like a lot of what I heard of Belize living ..  Many things to think about..
Thanks ,xcaret

Spiceman39

Cost of living may be the same or even higher if you want to keep the same life style as in US.
But if you want to live on locally produced items (grocery items)  the cost come way down.
Gas is expensive so is all imported items may be about 30% higher than what it would cost in US

dodgerday

One question I have when I move to Corozal in June is:
Are there any restrictions on the # of times one can go to Chetemal if one has QRP status? Also, what is the cost (and best way to go)---bus or ferry...which I've been told leaves every Thursday? Thanks for your help, my fellow soon-to-be expats. RICK

popeye1

spiceman 39,you`ve pegged it right,the cost to live in belize is higher than the u.s. unless you want to live a very limited lifestyle.the only reason most expats go to belize is the language.mexico is cheaper and right next door,and the tax laws in belize are more favorable to foreign income on peoples pensions.but why would i move to a country that has no infrastructure or ammenities just to save a couple bucks on interest on my pension,and they have no capital gains tax either,but so does puerto rico and they have reliable electricity,roads,cheaper gas,and its english there as well.the last thing i want for my retirement paradise is to drive down a dirt road to buy fruits and vegetables on $6-7 a gallon gas,keep a generator handy just in case,and raise my own chickens,pay $9 for a box of cereal,and hope the milk isnt bad.

Spiceman39

We have been importing items to Belize for many years (may be 20).
May be I saved money,may be not. There must be another compelling reason to move to "paradise" other than saving money. like love of tropics .
The Rain forest is beautiful and mysterius -not for everybody.
But things you take for granted in US or Canada are not there. It may be good or bad depending on ones outlook on life and life style. If you are willing to endure some hardship and enjoy challenges Belize may be an option.

Love2Travel4Sure

Hello Spiceman39,

Regarding the topic of "insurance". I pay homeowners insurance annually. So, if you require insurance, you can add it to your list of expenses.

Also, this is just my humble opinion, but I feel you can reduce your cost of living if you do not plan to live in the northern ocean front section of Belize (Ambergris Caye). If you move south or into the rainforest, the cost of living is less.  Ambergris Caye is the most expensive area to purchase or rent real estate.

Because you have a specific need regarding your Harley, I would rent for the first year, staying in different areas of Belize. This will help you make an informed decision when it comes to which part of Belize is best for you. Actually, regardless of specific needs, I think renting for a year to find where the right area is for you is good generic advice for anyone considering a move to any foreign country.

Good luck to everyone!
Best regards.....

bmcraig

Popeye1, From what I gather from many ex pats on this forum, is that they are moving to Belize because they WANT to live a simpler lifestyle, as well as the fact that English is spoken there. I know that is the reason why we chose to retire here. We are tired of the rat race in North America, and want to return to a simpler time like the time we grew up on the homestead in Northern Alberta. Along with that, obviously, comes the dirt roads (no loud traffic whizzing by and disturbing the peace), unreliable power (lamp light is very romantic), and raising your own food (healthier, good exercise, and delicious). Maybe that IS paradise for some of us. For those who think modern conveniences are paradise, let them go to the other places. Certainly is not for me!
ML

Stacman
bmcraig wrote:

Maybe that IS paradise for some of us. For those who think modern conveniences are paradise, let them go to the other places. Certainly is not for me!
ML

Well said!  To each their own...

Emanmsma2

bmcraig,  THANK YOU for your post. I joined these forums to gather info about the potential for moving there in a few years.  I am not looking for the 5 mil house, vehicle, and such. I am all about the slower pace in life as you describe.

dodgerday

General Question re duty tax:
If I have QRP status, it's my understanding that I if I bring a car that's over 3 years old I'll have to pay a duty tax. If that is the case, what is the rate (%) one must pay? Thanks for help!

popeye1
bmcraig wrote:

Popeye1, From what I gather from many ex pats on this forum, is that they are moving to Belize because they WANT to live a simpler lifestyle, as well as the fact that English is spoken there. I know that is the reason why we chose to retire here. We are tired of the rat race in North America, and want to return to a simpler time like the time we grew up on the homestead in Northern Alberta. Along with that, obviously, comes the dirt roads (no loud traffic whizzing by and disturbing the peace), unreliable power (lamp light is very romantic), and raising your own food (healthier, good exercise, and delicious). Maybe that IS paradise for some of us. For those who think modern conveniences are paradise, let them go to the other places. Certainly is not for me!
ML

so what your telling us then there is nowhere in alberta you can live a simple lifestyle,dirt roads,homesteads in the country away from what you call the rat race,nowhere to grow your own food in alberta either?,cattle or chickens. im a superintendant that builds highrises and embassys and large scale projects with a lot of pressure and schedules and my wife is a nurse,im tired of people that say they cant take the rat race.its what you make of it.sorry if i dont have some sympathy for those who cant put up with a little pressure.

chefpeppers

As to QRP status.  If I remember correctly, you are allowed 15K of personal belongings.  Don't recall reading that a vehicle was singled out for any special treatment.  Again, this is just from memory, I could be wrong.

bmcraig

That response does not deserve an answer. You are just being negative about everything. It is that negativity that prompted my comments in the first place, so I will not bother to respond to you or read your negative comments again.
ML

Stacman

I presume you're referring to popeye1's post?  I agree, but you have to remember there's one of them in every crowd.

I don't mind the negative comments about a geographical area because those weigh into my decisions, but they should be left at that and not turned on another person's comments.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belize

• Using phones in Belize
    Using phones in Belize

Belize has a national telecommunications company, Belize Telemedia, Limited, and several mobile phone companies ...

• Connecting to the internet in Belize
    Connecting to the internet in Belize

Belize enjoys decent internet coverage. Unfortunately it is slow and expensive. The country has many internet ...

• How to drive in Belize
    How to drive in Belize

In Belize, you can drive with an international driver's license, and you can often drive with a license from ...

• Where's the Beef?
    Where's the Beef?

Before visiting Belize to determine if it was a country we could permanently relocate to, we did an awful lot of ...

• Sports in Belize
    Sports in Belize

Sport has always been a part of Belizean life. Although the country does not have a lot in terms of professional ...

• Banking in Belize
    Banking in Belize

Belize was once known to be a real banking haven, a place where banking secrecy was guaranteed. The situation ...

• Childcare and education in Belize
    Childcare and education in Belize

If you are moving to Belize with your family, you likely have questions about child care and education. There are ...

• Customs in Belize
    Customs in Belize

Every country regulates what can and cannot cross its borders to prevent the spread of disease, adhere to local ...

All of Belize's guide articles