Menu
Expat.com

Belize vs USA - Cost of Living

Last activity 19 November 2013 by msdeb51

bmcraig

Thanks Stacman. I, too, appreciate negative comments when they are pertinent to the conversation. My original intent was just to point out that there is a positive side to moving to Belize as opposed to other countries. The personal attack was uncalled for.
When we decided to move to Belize, we weighed all the pros and cons we saw on the forum and then checked it all out in person. We were satisfied with what we say and made the move.

Love2Travel4Sure
chefpeppers wrote:

As to QRP status.  If I remember correctly, you are allowed 15K of personal belongings.  Don't recall reading that a vehicle was singled out for any special treatment.  Again, this is just from memory, I could be wrong.

Yep, I agree. As I recall $15K is the total QRP amount. I do not recall anything about a "vehicle being singled out," sorry to say. 

TO EVERYONE: Here is a great link that will most likely answer many of your questions for those of you who are interested in living in Belize: Belize: The Top English Speaking Retirement Haven in the Caribbean.

I hope you all find this report provides you with a wealth of information to help you make the right decision about the country of Belize. 

Happy Trails to all...........LAN

Love2Travel4Sure

PS. When I posted the original message, it was supposed to be addressed to Stacman, instead, I made up a username that is not even in this forum - LOL...... I like to refer to things like this as: I had a "brain freeze"  LOL....

Love2Travel4Sure

Please Delete = Double Submission = Sorry about that...

PS. When I posted the original message, it was supposed to be addressed to Stacman, instead, I made up a username that is not even in this forum - LOL...... I like to refer to things like this as: I had a "brain freeze"  LOL....

Stacman
bmcraig wrote:

When we decided to move to Belize, we weighed all the pros and cons we saw on the forum and then checked it all out in person. We were satisfied with what we say and made the move.

I'd be perfectly comfortable with a hammock on the beach, and could even get by without all the conveniences we have here in the US, but I kind of rely on decent internet access so I'm a little concerned about that.  I like to access entertainment through streaming all media via XBMC Media Center, but I'm afraid the internet availability won't be adequate there.  So sometimes the littlest things can influence a decision one way, or another.

Love2Travel4Sure

[u]Regarding Internet Service Providers.[/u] I have a friend that has a real estate business in San Ignacio, Belize and they have their own reliable wireless LAN, so you can setup the same way in your home. IMHO, the issues with ISP providers in Belize is that some ISPs are more controlling than others. For example, you cannot access Skype on a couple ISP's, but there is an alternative live video feed called OOVOO or something very similar. Belize does offer their customers a few ISPs to choose from, but the cost is high. The ISPs in Belize are very expensive for what they provide. It's just one of those things you adjust to as that's the Belizean way. I see it as part of the trade for a slower, healthier, and happier way to live. That's just my personal opinion.

Just food for thought... Regarding the ways of life in Belize vs One's home life.  If you find yourself wavering back and forth as to moving for good to Belize, or not. I suggest trying it out for as long as you need. Just keep things in storage temporarily.

Then there's always the concept of enjoying the best of both worlds, by spending time in both locations for a period of time, or for ever if that makes you happy. Just rent while you are soul searching. Good luck!!

Sending all things positive to the group - holla Belize
LAN

4evrHawk

Let me answer a few things I read here. If your vehicle is older than 2003, it will be singled out no exceptions. Plus customs is not overly fond if its an 8 cylinder. Customs will decide what the vehicle is worth, you can appeal that price twice with your broker, you will have to talk with a different customs officer on each appeal. Most people just pay, but it was well worth it to me to appeal. You will have to pay 35% of the worth to import it in the country. Oh yes let me warn you, if you don't pay the car will be impounded and then you can go.

I drove here from Santa Cruz Ca. pulling a trailer. The tolls in Mexico will kill you. They charge a much higher price if you are pulling a trailer. Mexico never asked what I had in the trailer big difference when I entered Belize. If you are dead set on pulling a trailer, I'd spend the extra driving time going probably through Laredo Texas entry point.

One big draw back, if you are single, this can be a lonely place. Most are couples and have their own little clique groups they hang with. Belize customs asked me if I was gay, because I'm single. Then of course the local expats want to know if you are an ex-criminal.

There are a number of older guys here with money who have married or are taking care of a Belize lady friend. Remember this, if you come to live in Corozal there are no secrets.

Last but not least, Belize roads are full of pot holes. Once you figure out how to maneuver around them driving isn't too bad. My car is a fully restored 1990 Cadillac, I get around just fine. But of course I don't use it to go 4 wheeling in the forest.

CaribeGal

The latest I've heard is that VOIP services (Skype, Facetime, etc.) are now available and no longer blocked by BTL.  They were definitely blocked until just recently, but Dean Barrow announced that this was no longer the case, and according to my friends in Ambergris Caye, where we lived for over 1.5 years, they can now Skype freely.

Regarding internet pricing, though, Belize is still by far the most expensive country in the Caribbean for high-speed access.  There was a chart recently published comparing all countries in the Caribbean, and it put Belize to shame.  Belize is moving in the right direction, but you will still pay much, much more per Mbyte of bandwidth than in the US or most other countries.

That said, there are many expats in Belize who use the internet for business and are able to manage with the current infrastructure, so it should not be a deal-breaker unless you are on an extremely tight budget.

Cheers,
Emily

4evrHawk

I find most rentals in the Corozal area offer free WIFI.

bmcraig

Hi Love2Travel4Sure - I am really interested in how your friends set up their own LAN. Is this something that can be done without going through an internet provider? Is it costly?

Love2Travel4Sure

Greetings bmcraig,

Unfortunately, no matter how one goes about setting up their connection to the Internet, an ISP is the only way to make a connection. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but anyone who wants an Internet connection has to pick an ISP.

I setup my own wireless LAN for use in my US home and I will do the same once I make the move to Belize. I will have to pick an ISP when I am ready to do the setup in Belize (or anywhere else as I mentioned).

You inquired about cost. I am not current on Belizean ISPs cost vs what Internet plans they offer to their customers. I can tell you once you pick out the ISP and the plan you feel fits your needs, you can add as many peripherals (printers, more PCs, or laptops, tablets, etc)as you need, wireless or not. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask for more clarification.

Best of luck!
Regards,LAN

brownsand

wrong post

LoveBelize

I paid $80.00 BZ which is $40. U.S. on Cable for my internet.  Cheapest price I could find and I got good service.

LoveBelize

Right Hawk.  and if they don't know much about you they make it up.  LOL  You would think they were still in high school.

jerry reid

Hi, my wife and I are planning to retire next year and we will either retire in Costa Rica or Belize, we have researched CR and found out that the cost has been on the rise lately, but if you do live more like the locals do you can live on about 30% less than the states. A nice 1bd. apt. furnished in a nice neighborhood will run around 600.00mo. with most of utilities included, what would the rent be in Belize for a furnished Apt.?

4evrHawk

It would help if you had a location, prices in Belize vary from location to location.

jerry reid

We really haven't studied up on any areas as of yet , we had our minds set on CR. We will be on a fixed income of 45,000-50,000yr. would that be enough to live in a nice area with all the basic utilities. We will be heading to CR in Oct. to visit a few of the local cities near airport and hospitals, as we are senior citizens in our late 60's.

luckydane1802

how are you going to school your children?

Prestonia

It's impossible to make a generalization and say that the US or Belize is more expensive.  So much depends on your personality, where you choose to live and how much you like to create things yourself or have them ready made.

Labor, Land, natural materials (wood, stone, etc.) and food are all cheaper in Belize than up north.  The trick is finding the right place to get these things.   You can't go to one shop and expect to find everything.  You can't go visit one real estate agent and think they have all the listings.  Not all builders know how to build your desired design.  Not every worker works just as hard or returns the next day.

From town to town the services are so different and the distribution is poor.  You will hear people say "you can't  get ____ in Belize"  while in some other town  they have too much of the item and can't get rid of it.  The islands are a world of their own.  The northern towns bring everything in from Mexico while the western towns bring in everything from Guatemala.  Belize City has  a lot, but then many avoid going there.

It always amazes me to read a thread like this and see what people did not find even though it is out there.  Some mentioned fresh fish -- in San ignacio 2 hours from the sea I just visit Dave, the Scottish fishman who is across the creek from me.  He calls fishermen on the coast to see what they caught that day and then you tell him how many of those you want. I know you must be able to get it on the islands, but maybe you have to show up at the time when the fishing boats are returning for the evening.

Lots of things are like this. 

Fresh local cheese is made and very good -- don't know why anyone would be pricing velveeta so I have to mark it up to personal taste. 

In the west, its very easy to sprinkle your own herb seeds over the garden and have more cooking resources than a good chef, but on the coast only certain things will grow in the salt air.

Fresh chicken is everywhere and free range -- I mean, who puts a chicken in a pen?

I also don't know if QRP is really that great of an option -- I know far more people that hate it rather than sing it's praises.  One hidden huge cost is that if you bring your stuff in, you can't just sell it if you decide to leave -- you are supposed to pay those import taxes.  So if you haul it in, you better haul it out.  And if you don't put that money they require in the bank as required they will revoke the QRP and then make you pay import on the stuff you brought in.  You also cannot work and that includes doing things like running a guesthouse.  My observation is that most retirees really only stay 2-3 years and QRP has a way of stinging on the way out.  I would rather just pay the taxes on the items I need and do it incrementally, what's paid is behind you.

chefpeppers

What an enjoyable, practical, post.  Filled with common sense that only comes from experiencing Belize first hand and learning what the land and culture has to offer.  Thanks, Prestonia!

kristinanadreau

others have hinted around about the QRP and import duties etc.

I will say straight out, avoid the vampires in customs!!!!!

they are attempting to charge us more in duty than the value of the goods.  Our electronics are more than 5 years old, clothing, a table and 6 chairs, a 10 yr old mini suv, tool boxes, kitchen goods, linens, and they wish to extort $8000 in "duty".   I can & will ship it back to the USA for less than they want.   

I would rather be held up for the monthly fees, than the one time gouging and monitoring of my finances for the QRP.  also, if I go across the border for more than 7 days I can avoid the monthly.  The $17 entry fee coming from Mexico is less than $50-100 as a monthly fee. 

I really like Belize and would be happy to spend the remainder of my life here.  The only issue I have with living here is the bullseye on my blond head, that Belizeans take as an opportunity to exploit me financially.  The Belizean price and the Gringo price.   nope.

Johnhenry1925

Having gained entry in to the "QRP" I didn't find providing the necessary financial information particularly onerous or intrusive.

http://www. abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com

kristinanadreau

ty John Henry.   When did you do it?  I get different experiences from different people who did it at different times.  apparently, it is different now.

Johnhenry1925

Gained entry in May this year (lived here for a year first but that was more to do with the one year window to bring stuff in absent of duty and tax). Very easy process - I did it myself.

As to avoiding the monthly Visa renewal cost by going to Mexico for 7 or more days, wouldn't that work out more expensive than paying the BZ$ 50 or 100 ie gas cost, hotel, etc ?

kristinanadreau

John Henry      thank you for your blog about your house.   I am eager to see all the episodes!!!!!!!   Kris

terrific

Going back to the tittle of this thread I just got back from a 2 week stay staying in the Placencia and Cayo districts I was amazed to find costs over the last few years have come DOWN for most Imported things from the US when checking out household items Kitchen things etc prices were comparable with the US (not special loss leader pricing) like for like. some things that were imported from elsewhere i.e. Europe or China were less than I can buy in California. One notable exeption items typically found in the dollar stores were twice the price or higher, Looking for the knick knacks for a kids party for my friends little girl cost me much more than I would pay as I would use the dollar store here.

JRed

Has anyone here considered reporting your local costs on Numbeo?  Currently the only Belize locations on Numbeo are Ladyville and Belize City but there are plenty of other locations represented on this forum.  It's easy to add info for locations that aren't already on the site (I did this too for my city so I'm walking the talk, haha) and you don't have to include data on anything you don't already know.

I only ask because it's very helpful to do a side-by-side cost comparison.  Granted, it's just a general idea and not conclusive, but I think there's a wealth of information available from members on this forum!

dodgerday

John Henry:
Thanks for your input. We're moving to Belize (permanently) next June; plan to come in March to finalize housing situation in Corozal. I'd be interested in knowing what was involved in getting your QRP status? For example: time frame? issues with moving? length of time it took to retrieve your household goods? $ restrictions on shipments? etc? Also, other ancillary issues such as: any expenses related to going to Chetemal for the day? Any limitations on # of trips you can make to Chetemal? Any other info you think is helpful would be greatly appreciated. RICK

TravelWriterGary

Dear Betterhalf,
I just returned from 3 weeks in Belize, one week on south mainland and 2 weeks on Ambergris Caye. This trip was both vacation, as well as fact finding and confirming what I had found via my research. My goal was to determine if Belize was to be my place to retire with my wife.
I will tell you that everyone has their own lifestyle, and cost for same. If you can move to belize and live like a Belizian, eating like they do, and living a simpler life, your costs should be less than in US. If you need to shop at Walmart and buy mostly imported US goods, your cost will go through the moon.
My advice to you if Belize interests you, is plan a trip and go there in person, see how they live, and price things yourself, in person. Going during off season is much less expensive for travel costs and lodging. You also get to see Belize with worst weather, mainly rain, that way it won't surprise you if you move there.
We heard both positive and negative things from Expats living there. After spending 3 weeks there ourselves, we realized that there is more positive than negative things about Belize, for us.
We purchased  property there, and as I speak the land is being thinned for construction of our new full time residence.
Good luck
GW

mwwin1599

Hi,  If you still have the article on cost of living in Belize, I would love a copy.

John Huster    mwwin1599@yahoo.com

2flyaway

We looked at Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica to move to. Each country has their pluses. What is a plus to some will be a down side to others. Each person needs to find what they want. We don't want high population - Belize is the lowest / square mile in Central America. I like Common Law (Belize / USA / Canada / Britain) as opposed to Civil Law. I like to be able to read very well any contract I sign (English).

I like the more rural or small town feel in Belize. I really like the farmers market every day, with inexpensive food.

I don't need theatres, shopping, brand name cloths, pubs, huge selections in grocery stores of packaged foods.

I am very happy with the roads in Belize. The highways are good to get to other major centres around the country. The non-paved bumpy roads are great for the rest. They keep living there costs down, and keep away the people that need to drive fast because they are in a hurry.

I hated the traffic jams on the major roads in Mexico and Costa Rica. A collision, or road construction brought things to very long lines - reminded me of Toronto, or now Edmonton, Calgary, Dallas, etc.

For each it is what you want, and YOU need to go and check things out for yourself. For us inland Belize with some land to grow food, train our dogs, take walks is what we wanted.

jerry reid

Hi my wife and I will be retiring next year and we have been planning on Costa rica for our destination. We will be on a fixed income of 45,000yrly. would this be doable to rent a furnished apt. or small furnished on that amount? We are conservative with our way of life and don't plan on owning a car when we retire.

xcaret

I just read an article in " Money sense magazine" saying $14,292 per year was enough to live on in Costa Rica,
I have a feeling you migfht make it. 1200sq ft. house rents for $650.00 per mo us. add @200 for the full time gardner and maid, the total comes to $1,191.00 per month ,includimng $200,for eating out/entertainment. Opps I made an error, these figures only allow for a apartment,not furnished. ( it's listed as $400.00 per month.

Liquify&Simplify

Is that if your moving and becoming a resident? or Retiring?  I have a whole house to bring eventually and not sure what the best thing to do is for moving items with me or sell it all head out with the clothes on my back.. How much is it to bring a vehicle and trailer full of house hold crap into Belize?

Liquify&Simplify

Do you know if one is becoming a resident do they do the same for the vehicle, and same question for customs deciding what items are worth?  Is it just easier to not bring a vehicle or any household items?  uggg..

2flyaway

My impression of Costa Rica was that things were more expensive than Belize. The central Valley in Costa Rica has a fantastic climate, but far too crowded for us. Lots of traffic jams. Very mountain-as, thus the roads are very windy.

Brigitte B

Liquify&Simplify - There is some beautiful furniture available in Belize. Custom made or bought from various stores. Local woods are gorgeous and most will be wood lice/termite resistant/proof.
Things have really changed, and there are not that many things you cant' find in Belize.
Cost/duty for importing a vehicle depends on its age and size. (and sometimes on the mood of the custom officer :-) A good variety of new and used vehicles are available.
Under QRP you are allowed a vehicle and an X-amount of household items duty free.

Johnhenry1925

There is not an 'X' amount on what you may bring in having gained entry in to the Qualified Retirement Programme. As long as the goods are household/ personal (not building materials, air conditioning units, etc) they are tax and duty free.

There is a one year time window for such imports.

Love2Travel4Sure

From my experience and IMHO, I think Costa Rica is more expensive than Belize. I've been to both places.  Months in Belize. Not as long in CR, but I also do a lot of research. I have a digital file somewhere that compares about 12 Central American countries on cost, medical, Internet, climate, and so on. Costa Rica scored higher for cost of living than Belize. Costa Rica received higher marks for medical service than Belize. It really depends on what each individual wants, needs and likes. To each their own, as "they" say. The main thing is that you are able to afford the country that makes your heart happy.
Happy Trails,
LAN

Brigitte B

Johnhenry1925 - good to know they changed that exemption on personal household goods. It used to be, I believe 15K US per household.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belize

• Using phones in Belize
    Using phones in Belize

Belize has a national telecommunications company, Belize Telemedia, Limited, and several mobile phone companies ...

• Connecting to the internet in Belize
    Connecting to the internet in Belize

Belize enjoys decent internet coverage. Unfortunately it is slow and expensive. The country has many internet ...

• How to drive in Belize
    How to drive in Belize

In Belize, you can drive with an international driver's license, and you can often drive with a license from ...

• Where's the Beef?
    Where's the Beef?

Before visiting Belize to determine if it was a country we could permanently relocate to, we did an awful lot of ...

• Sports in Belize
    Sports in Belize

Sport has always been a part of Belizean life. Although the country does not have a lot in terms of professional ...

• Banking in Belize
    Banking in Belize

Belize was once known to be a real banking haven, a place where banking secrecy was guaranteed. The situation ...

• Childcare and education in Belize
    Childcare and education in Belize

If you are moving to Belize with your family, you likely have questions about child care and education. There are ...

• Customs in Belize
    Customs in Belize

Every country regulates what can and cannot cross its borders to prevent the spread of disease, adhere to local ...

All of Belize's guide articles