Menu
Expat.com

Southern Thailand - Is it really not safe?

Last activity 18 April 2013 by annekoolit

annekoolit

Hi there! I'm planning to go to Southern Thailand - probably Phuket. Or any nice place near Malaysia.  I will come from Malaysia via bus. However, I'm a bit hesitant as I read some info on the net that it isn't that safe in 4 Southern Thailand provinces (can't remember the other places names) because of bombings and such.

Any thoughts on this?
Thank you so much.

scottmallon

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you're Asian and don't stand out like a sore thumb.

annekoolit

So it's not that bad at all. Just wondering as there are a lot of warning signs about it, even in online reservation sites for bus ticket.

scottmallon
annekoolit wrote:

So it's not that bad at all. Just wondering as there are a lot of warning signs about it, even in online reservation sites for bus ticket.

It's not that bad, however, the thing with the south is that you could just happen to be standing somewhere and a bomb will go off. If you're just doing a border crossing, that should be no problem. If you're alone, I wouldn't hang out there for weeks but you should be fine doing a crossing and only staying for a day or two.

annekoolit
scottmallon wrote:
annekoolit wrote:

It's not that bad, however, the thing with the south is that you could just happen to be standing somewhere and a bomb will go off. If you're just doing a border crossing, that should be no problem. If you're alone, I wouldn't hang out there for weeks but you should be fine doing a crossing and only staying for a day or two.

Wow. Haha I see. I guess its not the best choice. I'll just fly directly to Bangkok on a separate trip. Thank you for all the helpful information smile.png

Aurélie

Hello -> Just to note that some off topic posts have been moved.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Laughing Brook

Anne, thank you.  You made my day by canceling your plans.If you need further confirmation of your good choice, see the travel advisories of the American and Australian governments.

Reporting from Thailand,
                   Laughing Brook

scottmallon
Laughing Brook wrote:

Anne, thank you.  You made my day by canceling your plans.If you need further confirmation of your good choice, see the travel advisories of the American and Australian governments.

Reporting from Thailand,
                   Laughing Brook

If she went by the travel advisories of the American and Australian embassies she would probably never travel anywhere! Seriously, their advisories err on the extremely overcautious.

Wimbleton

yes CAUTION is advised But just as the Scottmallon  states Do Not take note of those 2 embassies us and Aussie or you never travel !

annekoolit

What off topic posts? lol

Anyway, thank you for your replies again! 

I just checked the website of Australian Embassy in Thailand and yeah you're right,  I was advised not to travel in certain southern areas because of terrorism attacks lol 

And yes I think its also better to hear it from the people who are or have been actually there. So I will still go though, just in a different way.  smile.png

Articles to help you in your expat project in Thailand

All of Thailand's guide articles