Expat.com

Traffic in VN

Last activity 07 June 2013 by khanh44

Rachel Bowman

Would like to drive mortobike by myself, but afraid of the traffic in VN

nguyennhungcetac

Adaptation is very important in this case. hi hi

VungTauDon

You should first try to practice in an area that's not so busy, go down to Vung Tau on the weekend and rent a motorbike.
General tips
1. Be familiar with your motorbike
2. When driving try not to make sudden turns
3. Use horn and turn signals
4. Forget about your ideas about western driving safety

deddyp

know the marks and use a lot of horn then you will be fine... smile.png

charmavietnam

So many expats scared of city traffic in Vietnam.When I joined in a Korean Diamond company, my boss give me one Peugeot Jet Force 125.I never got any problem on the road and I drove it nicely.
My colleagues amazed on seeing my driving!
What I want to 'inject' you is just 'confidence'. Yes, if you are confident you can drive it very cool without any fear of traffic or even the CGST!smile.png

Wild_1

Yes, know your motorbike well.  Then, when you ride, no sudden stop and turn!  Always keep your eyes on where you are going...  It should be fun!!!

laidbackfreak

Hi Rachel, have you ridden a bike before? It's not too bad navigating the traffic here. It often looks far worse from the outside than when you are actually in the flow of it.
Add tot he fact when you first arrive it's quite daunting compared to your average western city.

Shameless plug :See my add in the classified if you want some help wink.png

good luck and have fun smile.png

charmavietnam
Wild_1 wrote:

Yes, know your motorbike well.  Then, when you ride, no sudden stop and turn!  Always keep your eyes on where you are going...  It should be fun!!!

Actually, that's not mine. And I know well how to break in sudden.Indian licensing agency is not khung to give me license even though they are corrupted:) Of course am cautious when I drive.yeah, for me, driving is always fun and I do enjoy that.

Anhtuancologne

Hi Rachel,
drive Gokart or Quad by Vinaracing. There is more safe:)

laidbackfreak
Anhtuancologne wrote:

Hi Rachel,

Yes but that's not exactly helpful for getting around HCMC is it?

Budman1
laidbackfreak wrote:
Anhtuancologne wrote:

Hi Rachel,

Yes agree, but it's a slick way of posting a free ad LBF......

laidbackfreak
Budman1 wrote:
laidbackfreak wrote:
Anhtuancologne wrote:

Hi Rachel,

Yes agree, but it's a slick way of posting a free ad LBF......

You're not wrong Budman..... as are all his posts wink.png

lauryn6061

just started driving a bike a week ago too. Had experience riding 9 years ago, and it was quite daunting at first, when I needed to ride the bike I bought back home. I am lucky, though, to be in a slower paced city. Just started the engine and followed other peoples cues. Magically people make way for you despite the chaos.

Don't panic with the honking, eyes on all directions, check mirrors or turn your head quickly to cover the blind spots, no sudden turns, and sometimes honk too. I adapted pretty quickly, but am still scared to drive in Saigon. Have  fun!

khanh44
VungTauDon wrote:

You should first try to practice in an area that's not so busy, go down to Vung Tau on the weekend and rent a motorbike.
General tips
1. Be familiar with your motorbike
2. When driving try not to make sudden turns
3. Use horn and turn signals
4. Forget about your ideas about western driving safety

yes forget shoulder checks and giving right of way even though I still do them. Well except for right of way but shoulder checks I still do them.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

All of Vietnam's guide articles