Living Comfortably in Downtown Toronto

Hi Guys,

im coming to canada from australia. I realise the cost of living and wages are different to ours but am i going to be able to survive comfortably.

I dont have a degree or anything just 7 years in the insurance industry/claims. and great customer service :)

I want to get a job doing that or a receptionist something thats monday to friday.

i want to live downtown in a shared apartment. is this going to be possible. I will have 10k aud to start off with but want to keep as much of that in savings as i can so i can get out and about to see canada.

basically i want enough money to pay my rent eat and go out on the weekend. i wont have a car so just public transport. can people really do this on $10 an hour.

how do people live in canada with such little pay and expenses that from what i have seen mirror ours here in perth.

can someone please give me the real low down on living a normal life in downtown toronto. how much an hour do i need to make to get by comfortably

Hello lili1986.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

You may consult the job offers in the job in Toronto section. It might help.

You may also post an advert in the Shared accommodation in Toronto.

You have also at your disposal some articles in the Toronto guide, namely; the Work and Accommodation.

Hope it helps.

Karen :)

Hi lili1986,

Don't let the Ontario Minimum Wage scare you. Yes, it's only $10.25 an hour, but most jobs pay above the minimum wage.

Generally speaking waiters and waitresses work for minimum wage because the make considerably more than that just in tips.

If you're sharing an apartment and expenses for utilities even a full-time minimum wage job should pay your cost of living and give you a bit left over for entertainment. That said, it's highly unlikely you'll have anything left over for savings.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thanks...that has made me feel alot better about moving. if i know i can survive on minimum wage then anything above is going to be a bonus.

Id like to live in a good area young people subway no more than 5 min away preferably downtown, can you suggest any locations that match what im looking for.im 27 so im looking for a fun area but not full of 21 yr olds

I'm from Toronto :)  Life is pretty rough with minimum wage but, as was said, you do tend to earn more than that unless you work in retail or for a fast food chain or something.  In terms of location, you could check out The Village - the so-called gay neighbourhood near Church and Wellesley.  It's got a great vibe with lots of young professionals and (for Toronto standards) affordable housing.  It's also really centrally located, close to buses, streetcars and the subway. 
You could check out craigslist.org and kijiji.ca to see if people are looking for a roommate - or you can also post your own listing :)
Good luck!

Also forgot to say: the Yonge & St Clair area is starting to boom in terms of apartment rentals.  My sister and her boyfriend have a reasonable place there for 1100 a month inclusive I believe.  It's North of downtown but right on the subway line and it's a great neighbourhood in its own right.