I am coming to Cuenca!!!

Hopefully I will head towards Cuenca 1 feb 2014.

I am 51 years old and am ready to start a fresh life in Cuenca.

I have been taking spanish classes online, but think living in  Spanish community is probably the best way to learn.

Any hints anyone has for me? I know to bring a coffee grinder, lots of one dollar bills and comfy shoes for my big feet.

janet

Good for you.  I think you are right.  Living in a Spanish speaking environment is a help in learning the language.

When I was learning english (I keep learning) I took "the parlot thecnique"

Memorize sentences (english in my situation) and repeat them as was necesary.

This works perfect for me. I have learn that translate languages is not good idea because every language has their own "expressions" to explain or say something about something.

If I translate, does not makes sense. Like google translate! Sometimes works, but most of the time, I just repeat the sentence that I know for experience is good and works great!

goodlifeinecuador.wordpress.com

Hello Janet,

I do not understand why you would need a coffee grinder. You can buy freshly ground coffee at any number of places.
Yes, small bills are important but depending on how much money you are bringing, they can be cumbersome. I brought only 25 singles. Depends on where you plan to stuff them. Also, if you want to start out in a hostal, you can make a deal on extended stays. I stayed for 2 months and didn't pay until it was time to leave. I paid with 100's. The same is true of apartments. I negotiated the rent on a single apartment with all utilities, WiFi, cable TV and fully furnished for only $160/mo and paid cash in advance for 1 year. I paid with 100's. When I need change, I can go to Banco Central and change 100's into 20's, then when I need smaller change, I just use their change machine located outside the bank.
My point is that you can carry more cash with the larger denomination and there are ways to break them down. It is smart however to bring 5's and 10's also, just in case.
Part of my preparation involved buying a money belt with no metal parts which I wore covered with no problems.

Feel free to contact me if you need help.

Best Regards,

Carl

I had read in someones blog that coffee grinders were hard to come by. I do so love my coffee!!!!

Well I wasnt planning on 500 one dollar bills..LOL I will have to change some money into American money and will get smaller bills as well.

I am very excited to arrive in February.

I will also stay at a hostel till I find a more permanent residence. I will need a fully furnished place at first.

Any hints of things I should really make sure i bring along Carl?

Thanks for replying to me.

Janet

Bringing lots of 1 dollar bills? :/

Only believe 1/3 of what you read here. It's "just" another city. :)

Hi Janet. You will need jeans and tees 1 size smaller.  Everyone loses 10-20 pounds the first month.  Also bring any clothing that must be cotton.  Everything here is made with synthetics.  And you'll want extra printer ink and an ethernet cable for your computer; these are hard to come by, and expensive, in Ecuador.

For clothes made with cotton you can find them in "Pinto" or any that is label with "Pasa"

Hi Janet,

Don't believe that crap about $1 bills.  You can bring in 20, 10 or 5's.  Just bring one dollar bills a little just in case you need for the taxi's on your arrival.  Vendors and stores do accept the twenty and tens.  Yep, besides what you mentioned, umbrella, fall/spring jacket as the nights tend to get cooler, pots and fry pans (as the quality here is not great).  You can email me offline if you have any questions.  By the way I'm from Kitchener Ontario and have been here 19 months.

Louie

Wow, I was not planning on bringing my pots and pans. Are they really that bad there?
I was planning on bringing whatever I can fit in two big huge suitcases!!

Good pans and pots are not cheap here. But you can find them!
I was doing the same as you: All that can fit in a suitcase! Plus, what cant find in Ecuador (or Cuenc in  specific, in Guayaquil you can find much more stuff than in Cuenca)
I keep room for the speciall or expensive stuff or the stuff that is too expensive in Cuenca/Ecuador or is not available.
BTW! be carefull if you bring some plastic/metal that is round or looks round. A friend of mine was stop in customs for 3 hours, he had in his suitcase fake coins, the ones that people uses for play table games.

What did they think the coins were???

I am planning on bringing clothes, shoes, and some of my craft supplies. Might also bring my favorite sheets and duvet cover.

My friend said they were asking a lot of questions because the coins look like money.. Kind a funny! Dont you think? The camera showed that coins and they decided to check the suitecases (all of them) just because of the "coins"

My wife and I will be there for a few days the end of next week.  Anything fun to do that's coming up?

Best of luck on your move!  Keep us posted on how it all goes!  :heart:

There is a dance at San Sabas that is usually pretty fun. It is on Friday. Any day of the week there is action going on though.
I'm from Mpls., by Lake Nokomis.
Safe Travels,
Neil

Every place sells pot and pans, and all the cookware you could desire. Even Supermaxi sells pot and pans. For high quality you will pay a bit more, but I don't think the cost of bringing your own would justify the cost differential.
Sheets are a wise choice though. And pillow cases. They don't sell them separately here, just with a sheet set, so you might like to bring extra

I am so excited to move. After living all over the place, I definitly have itchy feet after being in the same place for almost 14 years.

Although I have always made friends easily, I guess my biggest fear is not making friends and ending up lonely. I dont like lonely.

I have cooked on some very cheap pots before, but nice sheets are a must have for me!!!

You'll have no problems making friends in Cuenca. There are social events on a daily/ nightly basis. People are extremely open and friendly, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Canadian. They abound here.
Regards,
Neil

I have been speaking to Deborah March, who is a friend of a friend. Deborah is also retired military.

I will be good as long as I can find some good coffee somewhere!!!

February cannot come soon enough. It is already cold here at night...-15 last night.

Now i just have to concentrate in getting rid of all my schtuff.

I also have to convince my kids that I am not a lunatic!!!

hey Janeth! I love coffee too! The one that I like the most is from Loja. There is a store next to flowers market (Cuenca) where I pay $3.50 per pound ground coffee. Is delicious!!
The stores name is "Cafe Lojano" has a tiny little door.
http://www.thisisecuador.com/contents/andes/galeria-ecuador-gourmet.html

I can't even imagine paying just $3.50 for a pound of coffee!!!

Does anyone have an opinion on if it is better to fly directly into Cuenca or take a bus from that city that starts with a G..LOL

I am not fond of long bus trips, so i am leaning towards flying into Cuenca.

ZenSPIKE wrote:

There is a dance at San Sabas that is usually pretty fun. It is on Friday. Any day of the week there is action going on though.
I'm from Mpls., by Lake Nokomis.
Safe Travels,
Neil

We arrive next week Thursday evening.  Are you there now?  If you're up to it PM me a number to reach you.  I'm in the stage of trying to convince the wife this might be do-able.

The bus takes around 3hrs to get to Cuenca from Guayaquil. There is a lot of curves because of the mountains. So, it depends of how many curves your body can handle.
Here is a tip: Check the bus tag. White tag is private use, they has not permission to travel with people.

Orange tag means public service and they can travel with people.

Some months ago it happen that polices just stops the buses with white tags and leave the pax in the middle of the highway. Terrible!

There is also a van service to Cuenca and is very near to the airport. Operazuay charge $12 for the trip.  The drive is very scenic through and around the mountains.

I like the idea of the van service. I will check that out. Thanks for the info.

The buses charge $8 and for the 4 dollars extra you travel in comfort and your suitcases are a lot safer.  Oh! also it's a 3 hour drive while with the bus it's 31/2 hours. Have you arranged for a hotel?  I recommend Mi Hotel.  It's a very nice hotel close to downtown and the rates are very reasonable.  They also have rooms with a kitchen with a stove, microwave and a mini fridge.  By the month it's a lot cheaper.  I stayed there 10 months and really enjoyed my stay.  The receptionist speaks English and the staff is very friendly, helpful and courteous.  This is their web site:
http://www.elpuentehotels.com/iframe1.html

WOW, thanks for the link. I checked it out, and love it. Is it near downtown?
I have the link for a hostel, but i think the hotel sounds perfect if i done find a place right away.

Drmark;
You Have Mail

Several afternoon flights from Guayaquil to CUE about 80 bucks. If you want to schlepp more than you already have. Besides, if it is foggy, it'll be a trip of a life time.

Keep in mind that 80% of the blogs will tell you have difficult some things are or do this, don't do that. It's just another city out of about 500,000 cities in the world. Nothing magical. Just show up. I read these things now about once a month. And they're still full of "you'd better not do this, don't drink the water, don't go out after sundown, you'd better have dollar coins, ad nauseum. Just show up.

Be sure to watch out for the GMO, Chemtrail, UFO, Crop Circle types. There is a contingent of loons here as well. Oh, and some even have $4000 water purification machines. Which they pipe into plastic jug containers. Choose your friends wisely!

Believe it or not, taxi drivers will also make change for a five. Hard to believe, but it's true.

GMO in Ecuador? I have not found them, but if you do tell me please wich ones!

Every city has it's challenges I believe. I am not looking for paradise. I am looking for my favorite kind of weather, and a better cost of living, a simpler and healthier lifestyle. A new life.

People can tell you all sorts of strange things, it is up to that person to decide what to believe or not to believe. Some people, I realize will believe anything.

I am one of these annoying people that check everything out before I believe it.

We arrived in guyaquil last night, only issue is brushing our teeth with bottled water and humidity.  Looking forward to our cuenca visit Thursday.  I did find out I was saying it totally wrong.

Humidity? Oh I really dont like humidity.
Enjoy your visit Dr Mark!

There is a fresh water river rigth there in Guayaquil. There is humidity all along the year.
I have found people has a extrange idea about Guayaquil, they never have been there, outside, walking or driving or whatever but they has their opinions. There is a saying "the lion is not like in the pic"