Menu
Expat.com

Advice about moving to Christchurch

Last activity 19 December 2013 by martinemler

adelerose

I have been told that the cost of living in NZ is comparable to UK, i.e.. £1sterling equivalent buying power is $1 NZ.

Getting conflicting advice on cost of living in NZ from some websites, would be good to hear of some real experiences to let us check out salaries.

stumpy

adelerose
Check out this website for cost of living www.numbeo.com  Navigate your way through this site for other information too.

martinemler

We are four in our family and rented a house for 550,- a week. Electricity is between 200 to 400 a month, depends on the season. No water costs in Christchurch. Although the rent is higher than Tokyo. It is hard to get a nice house for a family. In winter you need a electric blanket and your hobby should be flying or tramping in NZ.

Schools, it depends what kind of visa you have. It can cost nothing (except a donation) but if you are putting your kids on International schools, it is expensive.

Food, is the same or similar than UK, so you should not have a problem. The cost I am not sure about but for me as I am from Germany, I do have a higher cost of food than the usual person.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Christchurch

• Accommodation in Christchurch
    Accommodation in Christchurch

Christchurch is the largest city in the South Island and the second largest in the country, home to almost 400,000 ...

• Working in Christchurch
    Working in Christchurch

Christchurch, or Chch, as the locals like to say, is one of the major South Island cities in New Zealand. It is ...

• Studying in Christchurch
    Studying in Christchurch

If you are looking to study in a unique location, close to natural beauty and boasting world-class universities, ...

• Starting a business in New Zealand
    Starting a business in New Zealand

New Zealand is ranked as one of the best countries in the world to start a business in. Indeed, for several years ...

• Getting married in New Zealand
    Getting married in New Zealand

There's no denying New Zealand is a fantastic place to get married. Whether you want a dream destination ...

• Accommodation in Auckland
    Accommodation in Auckland

Auckland is a beautiful coastal city with mild weather and a diverse population. It's also the biggest city in New ...

• Accommodation in Wellington
    Accommodation in Wellington

New Zealand's capital Wellington is home to a wide range of things - the Government (located in the famous ...

• Travelling to New Zealand
    Travelling to New Zealand

Whether you are coming to New Zealand for a few weeks or hoping to stay a little longer, there are many options ...

All of Christchurch's guide articles