Menu
Expat.com

Racism in Spain

Last activity 27 July 2010 by candydancingtoes

kmacey

Hello all,

I am a teacher and am considering a job offer in Marbella, my partner is planning on coming with me. I am worried about racism though, he is black and i'm white. I have heard a few horror stories and don't want to accept a job where we may be hurled abuse.

Many thanks,

Kay

allangering

I don't believe that multiculturalism has harmed native white communities. What about Thatcher and subsequent governments decimating Britain's industry leading to massive unemployment amongst the working classes? Surely this has more to do with it than immigration.

(moderated: no ads plz)

southbankuni

i heard a few horror stories myself, but hey we in 2010 and i think its time uneducated people learnt to know that all races are here to stay and about time they get used to that.. iam black myself, but things like that are the leat of my worries.. because bercelona here i come... you be just fine..

Rose2010

Hi
Im british and have lived in Spain  Marbella for 20yrs and have never heard any thing like this.there is more racism in the uk..so i think you should put this out of your head ...good luck

candydancingtoes

Marbella is fairly cosmopolitan and has many foreigners. I think that your husband will feel OK.

I do feel that Spain as a whole is quite tolerant of foreigners.  They are perhaps not used to black people being working professionals though.  Most are considered to be DVD sellers who tout around cafes and restaurants selling items.

Don´t let it put you off and hope you enjoy the new job.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Malaga

• Accommodation in Tenerife
    Accommodation in Tenerife

Tenerife is the largest and most populous of the seven Canary Islands, a Spanish archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean ...

• Accommodation in Seville
    Accommodation in Seville

Seville is a southern Andalusian city that's easy to fall in love with. The Moorish architecture works of art, ...

• Accommodation in Valencia
    Accommodation in Valencia

Valencia is the capital of the province of Valencia, a Mediterranean destination of striking architecture, vast ...

• Choosing your neighbourhood in Madrid
    Choosing your neighbourhood in Madrid

Location is probably the most important determining factor when purchasing a home. You see, no matter how much you ...

• Working in Seville 
    Working in Seville 

Seville is the capital of the autonomous community of Andalusia and home to its government. It is a lively ...

• Accommodation in Malaga
    Accommodation in Malaga

Malaga is a busy port city on southern Spain's Costa del Sol, a place that blends ancient history with the ...

• The labor market in Spain
    The labor market in Spain

The Spanish labor market offers a range of opportunities for expats. Spain has long been a favored destination for ...

• Accommodation in Barcelona
    Accommodation in Barcelona

Barcelona sits on the coast of north-eastern Spain, the capital and largest city in the autonomous community of ...

All of Malaga's guide articles