Menu
Expat.com

Starting a business... HELP!

Last activity 31 August 2015 by TimothyLen

djfawcett

I'm looking for info on whether or not it is possible to start a Sugaring business in Thailand. For those of you who don't know Sugaring is an all natural form of hair removal, often compared to waxing. I think I have read somewhere that if you have a business you must employ 4 Thai citizens for every foreigner. What I don't know is if I start the business and am the only employee is that possible? Any info would be much appreciated!!

skyaslimit

You must have four Thai citizens to start a company and gain a work permit, they could be your cook, maid, driver or clerk.

jennyadara

yes thats right, its not an easy process and quite costly to set up.

TimothyLen

Go straight to the source. The BDB (Business Development Board) in Thailand. They have branch offices in Chiang Rai where I started my business.
Open up an SME ( Small Medium Enterprise) and the requirements are different. Start a tutoring or instructional type set-up and maybe an online e-commerce business. SME's requirements are different from a Limited Company

There are two types
1. A Limited Partnership (SME). I think SME only requires 2  Thai employees but you must check with them.
2. Limited Company ( Basically LLC) with full blown requirements.

E-commerce does not require Thai employees and they have information on the website.

You will not get the correct information you are looking for on here. Get a Thai friend or partner to go directly to the closest BDB.

They also have a website in the English language now and full blown, proper information.

Maybe  - bdb.go.th   
Just do a google search.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Thailand

• Starting a business in Thailand
    Starting a business in Thailand

Thailand is the second-largest economy in Southeast Asia and the 26th-largest economy in the world. It offers many ...

• Working in Chiang Mai
    Working in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai's ethnic diversity, breathtaking scenery, and the multitude of festivals and attractions ...

• Working in Pattaya
    Working in Pattaya

Pattaya may not be as idyllic as some of Thailand's other beach destinations. However, it is still one of the ...

• Finding work in Bangkok
    Finding work in Bangkok

Bangkok is Thailand's capital and biggest city. Every year, over 22 million people visit Bangkok. Some come to ...

• Working in Thailand
    Working in Thailand

Although some jobs aren't permitted to foreigners in Thailand, there is still an array of career opportunities ...

• Internships in Thailand
    Internships in Thailand

If you are a self-motivated individual with good communication skills and a strong command of English, then doing ...

• Become a digital nomad in Thailand
    Become a digital nomad in Thailand

Thailand has long earned the title of a digital nomad mecca — it is the country most often associated with ...

• Understanding the work environment in Bangkok
    Understanding the work environment in Bangkok

Thai people are incredibly friendly and approachable. If one wants to stay and work in Thailand, then learning ...

All of Thailand's guide articles