Tips and advice to thrive in Macau

Hi,

When living in a foreign country, you have to adapt to a new environment, various cultures and different social codes.

How did you manage to adjust to Macau?

How long does it take to feel at home? Would you say it is an easy process?

According to you, what is key for a successful integration process in Macau?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience!

Priscilla

There is a big difference being expat in Thailand, the land of smile where I came from, and Macau. In Macau we may not get that expected service and hospitality from the Chinese and Macanese. You have to be active in asking, requesting, and following an issue. In simple word,  don't expect the people in Macau to come to you, but you have to go to them. Even though Macau is a developed country but they are still very traditional with their culture. Only 5 months in Macau I can give a few advices.
1. Before coming to Macau, make sure you have all the paper to process the blue card (work permit) which is similar to a passport. With the blue card, you don't need to use passport to travel in and out of Macau.

2. Make sure you have an idea where to stay (Macau, Taipa, or Cotai/Coloane). Luckily the renting fee is going down. Renting in Taipa is the most expensive. Macau is least expensive but very crowded and bad traffic. Coloane is far way out to the people in Macau, but to me it is fine as compare to Bangkok. However, it is inconvenience to get grocery or food when staying in Coloane. I stay in One Oasis, a premium apartment in Coloane where most expat live. The management in One Oasis provides free transportation to Macau and Taipa many rounds throughout the day. Without this service, many expat would not stay in Coloane as it is very inconvenience without personal transportation. The only good thing about Coloane is the beautiful beach, Coloane Village, and the Panda zoo that many people enjoy. Public transportation in Macau is fantastic; it is cheap and very convenience. I once took a public transportation from Coloane to Macau, and it took me almost an hour journey.

3.  I was able to get 100% free medical services in government hospital. My expat colleague has a illness, where the Macau government hospital does not have that special medical equipment, was sent to Hong Kong to get the best treatment with the best doctor. Everything is paid by the Macau government including the trip to Hong Kong. Amazing, it is all free.

I hope the information help.