Environmental protection in Malta

Hi,

Environmental protection is a challenging issue for all the countries around the world. Would you say this issue is deemed of significance in Malta?

Is the country going green through initiatives like waste management and selective sorting programs, renewable energies, public transport, green awareness campaigns and so forth?

How do you personally commit to improve the environment in your daily life?

We would greatly appreciate if you could tell us more about the various local initiatives for sustainable development in Malta.

Many thanks in advance!

Kenjee

Doesn't work in Malta.
They make all the right noises and then litter the place with rubbish, fly tipping and the filthiest, most polluting vehicles in the EU.
The waste collection works well but the average Maltese seems more inclined to dump it out of the car than recycle it!

Ray

The Maltese recycle by allowing the rubbish to blow into someone else's property or into the sea!

Seems to work .

Terry

Kenjee wrote:

Hi,
Is the country going green through initiatives like waste management and selective sorting programs, renewable energies, public transport, green awareness campaigns and so forth?

Kenjee

Yesterday I walked about 3 Km in the west of Gozo where I live and there the countryside is going blue from all the spent shotgun cartridges (with the occasional splash of white from an old sink or a toilet seat!)

Ray

Hi, there definitely needs to be more of a fuss made of disposal/recycling plastics as I often go down my local beach with a net when the wind is blowing towards the bay and collect several large bin loads of rubbish, mostly plastic and beer cans. It's depressing that people see the sea as a bin.
I would be extremely interested to find out whether any of the plastic/tin/paper waste I put in my recycling bag each week actually gets recycled...I take my glass bottles to a bottle bank down the hill from my house. This area is a mess for no explicable reason. It seems people don't know how to put things in the recycling bins and often leave them in boxes by the side or leave waste that will not get picked up there.
On Saturday I took my electronic waste to an event in Bugibba where electronic waste was being collected for recycling. I was super impressed that an event like this had been set up. We need more of this outward display of environmental care in Malta so that people start to treat the issue with the seriousness it deserves. Pollution of the air and sea is a big issue here. If it goes unnoticed Malta will fail to attract tourists, its main income stream. More public beach clean ups are needed. More education in schools is needed. More information for tourists on the impact of all the plastic bottles and cans they fail to put in the bin is needed, signs on beaches, in colleges and hotels stating the impact of the chemicals in cigarettes on sea life are needed. `I've seen people standing up in the sea smoking and dropping their ash straight into the water. Most just leave their cigarette ends in the sand. Perhaps beach wardens are needed to ensure people take their cigarette ends home with them. Thank you. ;-)

Hello! I can't write a lot right now, as I am studying for an exam on this very topic at the moment. I can say that the environment is definitely of concern in this Small Island State. There are many green initiatives. Malta has been an EU member since 2004 and therefore has implemented the strong EU environmental directives. Briefly -

Solid waste management facilities are new, state-of-the-art, and use methane to generate energy for at least one of the facilities. Garbage is collected curbside 4 days/wk. Plastic/paper mixed recycling is picked up 2x/wk, also outside the front door. (Glass less often. There are also drop-off points in villages and some bottle deposits at stores.) Compostible items are now being picked up on a trial basis in some areas.

Coming from a less-well-served public transit area in the US, we don't have a car here and have been using the buses for months and find them very nice, although not without scheduling quirks. There are way too many cars for the size of the roads. We did make a choice to live near the bus route.

Renewables like solar have been encouraged and are in high use for water heating in particular - there were subsidies given - not sure if they still are. Larger-scale wind farms were not able to be implemented due to need to place in deep water and also wildlife habitat conflicts. The power company just converted one of its plants to a two-phase system, and to run on gas rather than diesel. (I think I'm explaining that correctly.)

I am not sure about the extent of public awareness campaigns, because we don't watch local TV - it's only in Maltese, and it is quite hard to learn. :)  The compost information was in one of the (English language) newspapers, and the Minister of the Environment does a periodic column as well to keep people apprised of efforts and issues.

There seems to be a good level of energy efficiency awareness such as low-wattage light bulb use, but weatherstripping is nearly unheard of and there are some building codes (like open grates in exterior walls) that don't entirely make sense to me as someone who comes from a climate that has hot and cold weather extremes (Upper Midwest US).

It is hard to tell what percentage of people here take these issues on board. There is certainly an issue with litter, although this is also a big tourist destination, so it's unclear who's to blame. I appreciate that the garbage and recycling are so convenient and I like the public transit.

I could probably connect you with more resources if you would like them.

I didn't see the other replies before posting mine. I do have to agree that there is a lot of roadside/countryside self-help garbage disposal. This island was still considered 'developing' until it joined the EU. There is a long way to go, but progress is being made. (I got to tour the waste/recycling plant and the power plant.) :)

Don't throw garbage on the street and no plastic bags or any plastic in or near the beautiful beaches. Also recycling is very efficient. Love your country so the tourists wiil come to the islands and love it!

Eatw's post is heartening - thank you for all the information. When I got here a couple of months ago I was despairing - the traffic and exhaust fumes hit me hardest, I walk to walk through Gzira/Msida and the pavements are mostly non-existent or just rubble - no chance if you're disabled or pushing a buggy - maybe that's why everyone who can drives.. . Since then I've joined the Ramblers' assoc and been on some wonderful walks in remote parts of the islands. No rubbish, some solar power generation in evidence, and yes, Maltese people who are not litter louts. In fact it's local people who organise the walks and have detailed knowledge of the history of the areas we walk through. Also,  petitions are regularly circulated to prevent more development in green sites.
I'd love to see more campaigns in schools/colleges and obvious signs for recycling around the major tourist areas. I'll ask at work to see if there's anything coming up
all the best
Jeannie

Thank you so much for your help! I didn't expect results so fast – this will really assist me in getting started on my  job search. Can anyone tell me is there( in Malta) an opportunity for me to find a job in waste management

The chances of finding a job of any description at management level is very slim in Malta for a TCN, as any position would have to be made available to a suitably qualified Maltese National first, followed by a similarly qualified EU Citizen and only if there were no suitable applicant would a non EU citizen be considered.

Ray

Thanks for sharing the information.  This is a very nice of you.

if you have the qualification have you considered starting your own company or as a consultant

"Doesn't work in Malta.
They make all the right noises and then litter the place with rubbish, fly tipping and the filthiest, most polluting vehicles in the EU.
The waste collection works well but the average Maltese seems more inclined to dump it out of the car than recycle it!

Ray"

To the point, Ray ! :top:

Is there a possibility to show pics here ?