Menu
Expat.com

Environmental protection in Thailand

Last activity 30 March 2016 by hstory

Kenjee

Hi,

Environmental protection is a challenging issue for all the countries around the world. Would you say this issue is deemed of significance in Thailand?

Is the country going green through initiatives like waste management and selective sorting programs, renewable energies, public transport, green awareness campaigns and so forth?

How do you personally commit to improve the environment in your daily life?

We would greatly appreciate if you could tell us more about the various local initiatives for sustainable development in Thailand.

Many thanks in advance!

Kenjee

Grapagoda

We run an organic farm and strive to do everything in an environmentally supportive manner. However, it is not at all easy in Thailand. There is no government support for solar power or hot water. Solar installations are still more expensive here than in Europe or the USA.
Huge amounts of pesticides are used by all surrounding farmers and the local population discard trash anywhere and everywhere. There is a great need to teach environmentally friendly methods in all schools. We regularly invite schools to come and learn about organic farming but it is a costly procedure for us to do that and takes up a lot of our working time.
MG

Margueax

I am very proud that I am connected with a successful green initiative being the Boonsom Spirulina Farm in Mae Wang, Chiang Mai, Thailand. The Green Diamond Co. Th has been producing the highest quality spirulina food products at this location for 28 years. Not only is this whole food requiring minimal resources for cultivation, the company's location in rural area provides work for women and men who do not have to travel far away from their families. Employees benefit from coop store and also employees operate their own coop bank.

TAW

Try - buying affordable, reliable solar power in Thailand - impossible.
Watch as trees are hacked down for rice paddies - daily.
Wonder - why when they have cut all the trees down - that they complain its too hot or, all try park under the last bit of shade.
Weep - at the disregard for animal welfare or empathy.
Worry - about the wholesale use of chemicals on crops.. which easily enter the water courses and food chain.
Despair -  at the volume of litter thrown all over this beautiful land.
Shudder - at the destruction of forest / jungle for short term gain (often by prominent officials).
Cringe - at the alteration or damming of rivers.
Be amazed - at the volume of noise pollution in even the smallest village.
Issan !

timber

I don't believe protecting the environment or global warming is a priority in the area I live in.  If the government fined those people breaking environmental regulations, then it could be self supportive.  The government doesn't even have garbage collection my Moobaun so recycling is 100% profit motivated.  Past experience has shown that education in the primary schools can give very positive results, and put pressure on the parents to think about what they are doing.  The kids will comment to the parents if they understand the problem.

Daiwill

Rubbish of all sorts , syringes, medical phials, oils, and many many more things, it is not just coming form ships and fishing boats either.  It is suspected to be a wash back onto south facing shores along  the Gulf as a result of BKK rubbish being dumped out at sea.
Rubbish being thrown on roadsides in many locations in Rayong. Just wish I could attach some pics on here

barrytaylor

I agree 100% with TAW. I would like to add that here where I live a few people collect trash for recycling but mostly bottles etc.Nobody collects the plastic bags or cups the  "National Flower " of Thailand which is discarded next to the roads
I pay the kids a few Baht each to collect the plastic bags etc in the village I live in but they only do it for the money.
I sit on the stoep and watch them trowing plastic from the vehicles as they pass and even when they see me picking it up they continue to do this and probably think it is a stupid Farang.
Dirt, tyres etc are burnt everywhere and I have spoken to some of them through my girlfriend and they have no concept about the environment or the saving of it .They do not realise they are polluting
I do realise that when you are poor survival is the main goal in life and everything else comes second or is not even considered.
It is very difficult to get people just surviving to understand the reason and the need for a clean environment.
I have planted numerous trees in my yard and the locals think i am mad to do this
On the way to my "suburb" there was a tree more than 50 years old and I thought what a lovely tree but a few months ago it had been sawn down and when I asked why this was done  it was explained to me that the tree was given to Buddha
This had been a tree where the workers from the Cassava lands had their lunch time break everyday and also used as a prayer tree .
Do your best to educate the people re the environment and live with the environmental system in the country.
Barry

timber

The whole gulf is awash with garbage from the rivers and boats, not unlike the Pacific there is probably a big island of junk in the middle and every time there are storms we get spin offs.  Mother nature takes care of a lot of the garbage cleanup in Thailand.

hwolfskill

When I first arrived in Thailand in 2010, Greenpeace used to recruit at a Tesco here in Samutsongkram. The members I talked to were trying to prevent industrial pollution of rivers, Since that time I have heard no more about it!

StevanDr

That is not true!! Government support and subsidise alternative energy sources for a long time.
Also there is Royal agricultural project ( Real organic)

timber

Thailand's efforts on pollution control, and energy conservation are not very transparent.  They are like China in that they do some good PR, but at the local level
no one cares.

StevanDr

I think you need to open eyes, and compare Thailand with other SEA countries. or even whole South Asia, far far more cleaner!!! for one developing country (developed 23th industry in the world)

timber

I guess I should ignore mother's throwing garbage into the bush while taking the kids to school, the shore fishery leaving thousands of fingerings on the sand that weren't big enough to eat and bake in to sun, no garbage collection in the Moobaun and people throw it into the plantation behind the house or in the road side ditches or the Moobaun burying it in the sand on the beach.  Not looking for cleaner, but correct the actions that will effect the future in a series of negative actions.

barrytaylor

I agree with the comment of Timber

I must say I do not seen much about the Thai Government doing anything more than publishing articles for the citizens to protect the environment.No initiatives are started or implemented by the Tessebaan where I live or the neighbouring villages
Where I live there is trash collection and it costs 20 THB a month for twice a week emptying of a wheelybin.Not many even have wheelybins.
The people walk past my wheelybin and drop the plastic in front of my door but will not place it in the bin even though they have been asked to do this by my GF.
The kids are taught at school not to drop trash everywhere and use bins but this only seems to work for the school grounds
I have been tot VN and Malaysia on a few occasions and both countries  are much cleaner than Thailand in my opinion.
Most of the Thais have no conception of the environment or how to save it for the next generation. As said survival is the most important to them which I understand but do not accept
Barry

TAW

I think it is incredibly naive to equate  'developing' countries industry growth to environmental conservation. Rarely do the two go hand in hand. Thailands desire for a quick Baht today has been at the expense of its land and natural wildlife.
Over-cropping. Obsession with pesticides. Poisoning, trapping or shooting anything that draws breath. Cutting of established hundred year old trees to grow fifty Baht of chilli. Littering is endemic, whilst everything purchased comes in three plastic bags - quickly thrown onto the ground. Over fishing and over utilisation of water courses.
I for one - love this beautiful country but my eyes are wide open to the long term effects of the above (and much more).
Drastic measures must (but wont) be taken. Education and law enforcement must be provide and encouraged (but wont).
The slash and burn mentality is a burden that the offspring of the countries youth will curse us for. The legacy this generation are leaving on the land is devastating. It can be reversed but, it needs far more political will and much greater awareness of the natural resources Thailand has. After all - tourists come for the old world Thailand, not the industrial  polluted one.
The average Thai needs to stop complaining about it being 'too hot' or trying to find the last remaining tree to park their car under. Only by seeing the impact on the future can we all reverse the destruction done today
We must place Nature at the forefront of long term national policies, rather than a fat wallet today. Its starts in the homes and the schools. The Leaders should lead by exampe.

Margueax

The original question of this column asked what are YOU doing to improve your neighborhood. It seems most of the answers so far are only complaints, moaning and groaning. Come on use that energy to clean up where the mess is. Get out there plant some trees. Do something positive

TAW

Dear Margueax,
I agree with the essence of your mail. We can all do more. However, l do not regard it as moaning or complaining... Simply voicing massive concerns and highlighting the vast gulf between education / action and, the reality of the here and now.
From what l have read, most of the contributors are passionate about the subject and are active in their own way. I can certainly list things l have done and are doing on a fairly large scale. Its not about posturing or ego... understand the problem and the solution becomes self evident.
The majority of people who have been concerned enough to write in have highlighted a common theme. Education local and national and, an awareness of the responsibility we all have to our children.
That is a Thai issue. For us ex-pats - we can simply support those that are of a like mind and, strive in our own way to make a difference.
I have a family here and feel very strongly on the matter. I am sure most others do and, are equally keen to encourage a different view of Nature and our surroundings.
If discussion leads to change - l applaud it. However, your sentiments are equally valid. I would encourage all to do their bit.

timinphuket

The concept of Environmental Protection in Thailand is a non-sequitor.  Most Thai's have no idea of what it is. 

Air-con stays on at night when employees go home, hotels are built so they are unlivable without air-con. 

Until the Coup, rubbish just went out the window onto the street, and the sea is there to throw away plastic rubbish.

The generic problem is be it houses or skyscrapers, concrete construction demands air con. 

Catalytic converters are unknown (just try to buy one for your car), tourists still think its cool to feed the monkeys marshmellows, and the sea is full of driftnets and floating rubbish such as styrofoam. 

Whales literally die in Thai waters because their GI tracts are filled with plastic rubbish.

I have never had children because I can see what is coming - since 1950!  Unfortunately, things are NOT getting better.  I feel sorry for the next generation - they will inherit our "Burning Hell".

Ling Yai

JOHNMELL

Not been here long but maybe someone can enlighten me why there is virtually constant sunshine, but solar power is rarely used.

Margueax

This a 2015 article from Bangkok Post. "Thailand outshines Asean in solar power"

By year-end, Thailand will have more solar power capacity than all of SE Asia combined
13/07/2015
Reuters News agency
http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/wor … olar-power

timber

Margueax  identifying the problem is part of solving the problem.  I do many things every day to help the environment.  You may consider them insignificant, but if everyone in Thailand did the same there would be a significant effect on the environment as well as the water resource.  I don't consider stating problems in my area groaning or moaning.  If people would share the problems in their areas maybe the government would understand that they can do some thing in urban areas to resolve  the problem, like recycling and garbage collection.

timber

Used to be that solar panels cost a lot and electricity was cheap

barrytaylor

I have looked up companies in Thailand who install solar panels and wrote and asked them to contact me.Only one company in Cambodia did and the person informed me that it would be prohibitively expensive to install for me from Cambodia.
I have also established that the Thai Government had a scheme where solar panels were installed by a private contractor and the electricity could be fed into he grid and the house owner was paid 6K THB per month.Then I read that this was discontinued.
I have spoken to the Thais where I live and none are interested in any such scheme nor was the Tessebaan interested in starting a clean village scheme for the trash lying around
The Tessebaan manager is my GF cousin and all he is interested in is building more rooms for lents(rent)for himself
Now I do my small bit to save the environment and to keep the place clean.
Barry

TAW

Barry's experiences are very common. Maybe solar power is big for industry (?) but for domestic..... it is incredibly difficult to source.
As for apathy or, the lining your pockets at the expense of the environment / nature... thats more than easy to find.
Greed and ignorance.....

barrytaylor

Taw
Poverty and ignorance plays a large part in this also.The majority of the  people in this village earn 300 THB per day working for a local  contractor but the same evening they pay the SAME contractor 60THB for a beer and drink two or three beers but burn tyres and other rubbish to cook food as they have no money for gas and I sometimes give money for clothes for the kids without a thank you.How can we expect these people to be concerned about the environment if they do not know what we are even speaking about. Survival the is way is the name of the game
Barry

timber

barrytaylor Thank you for doing the homework.  Doesn't sound like much has changed.  If the government got on board it would help.  At one time they had pretty high tariffs on solar panels coming into the country and there weren't really any incentives for the investment.  Priorities are different.

TAW

Money for beers... but no money for food or clothes for their children... hmmm. You have an uphill task over there.
I can see how environmental issues come way down the list.
What chance Mother Nature...

StevanDr

I think you are out of touch if you think rest of the world is better!

barrytaylor

I do not think it is necessary to be insulting
I have been to many poor countries where the environment is no priority for the poor
Survival is.
When it is a question of surviving or saving a tree the tree is used for firewood
My own country included.
I am not a greeny and believe protecting the environment for the future of humankind and not to waste.

Katie Newby

Hi!
There is a group of volonturees, Trash Hero Thailand. 3 years ago they started on Koh Lipe, and now there are many chapters in Thailand and some other countries.
They all make clean ups, education, and some projects for reducing plastic around like a reusable water bottle, by buying one you can receive free drinking water refills around Koh Lipe, Koh Lanta and Chiang Mai.

Lancashire Lad

www.trashhero.org

Lancashire Lad
JOHNMELL wrote:

Not been here long but maybe someone can enlighten me why there is virtually constant sunshine, but solar power is rarely used.

Just as electricity from power stations is used to supply power hungry electric shower water heaters when there is all that free heat available.

Fox

Give money for clothes for the kids without a thank you...you right about to get them to say thank you.
I expect to have that when i help and please them and so far not much response. It seems that say Thank you very easy to Thais as for many things but for farangs to have will be luck to receive thank you

hstory

Your quite right about what you have written.

The noise pollution in ISSAN is systemic and out of control.

The Permaculture Institute Thailand  www.permacultureinstituteThailand.org   has a number of initiatives underway to try and change these things. One is GREEN Bangkok initiative.
Another is Urban Permaculture Courses offered in Bangkok quarterly
Another is regular Permaculture design Certificate courses.

The organization tries to reveal the necessity for recycling, waste reduction, clean water and clean air and other green initiatives in Thailand.

It is a monstrous task in a country as divided and unconcerned of social welfare as Thailand. But you got to start somewhere. Even the lowest rung on the ladder is a first step.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Thailand

All of Thailand's guide articles