Selling household items - Nairobi region

Hello friends,

My wife will soon join me in Europe for good so we will give up our flat in Nairobi. We will have most of our furniture shipped to CH but there are a few incompatible items which we would like to sell at a fair price. All items are in mint condition, about 3 years old and kept super clean. They basically look like new.

One is a cooker with one electric and 3 gas hobs and an electric oven. It's very solid quality, stainless steel. And then an LG washing machine with seperate cold and warm water inputs.

The thing is we put already ads on OLX, at Yaya centre, Nakumatt etc but the offers are cut throat. People are almost expecting us to give them away for free. Like 10k bob for a cooker which had cost 55k.

I was thinking it would make more sense to sell them to short term rental agencies which rent fully furnished flats by the week or the month. I suppose they would be interested in getting appliances in flawless condition for a fair price.

Any hint is welcome. Asante sana.
Cheers.

Hi FemiB,

have you already posted your ad in the classifieds section ?

https://www.expat.com/en/classifieds/africa/kenya/

If you do so, your ads will probably appear in our next newsletter, sent on Monday next week ;)

Hope this helps a bit,

Julien

Thanks much Julien  :top:

You can't really expect to sell your items for close to the purchase cost, after a period of 3 years, no matter how 'new' they look.  An offer of Ksh 10,000 is hardly 'giving away for free'.

Prospective buyers probably realise that you are leaving and therefore under some pressure to sell the items.  Kenyans will always bargain the price down, especially if they know that you are in a hurry to sell.

I would have thought that short term letting flats already have kitchen appliances installed, unless you are lucky enough to find someone who is in the process of developing a property for short term lets. 

How much are you asking for the washing machine?

Hi Femi,

Please share your contact number to the mail ID xxxx. I would like to know the price and quality of the washing machine.

Thanks

Rajeev

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

what is price of washing machine ?

Hi Muhammad,

We've found a buyer for both items. They offered 20k for the washing machine and 25k for the cooker. In case they'll change their minds last minute I'll let you know.

BTW the LG machine was used indoors only and wrapped in bubble wrap. My wife is very thorough in keeping things tidy and like new.

Cheers mate
F

oh OK . its not a problem . thanks for reply . take care bye :)

Btw it's not only Kenyans who flock to such things. It's especially people who smell a quick buck. They con the item out of you for 10k and sell it on for 20k. That's the issue.

We're not desperate. If we don't a find reasonable buyer we will seal them and store them in my wife's sister's house until somebody makes a fair offer.

OK

Pliz,l,need,the,cooker,how,much

Hello kuriimaria200,

Welcome to Expat.com1f600.svg

Not sure the cooker is still available as this ad was posted in 2016.

I invite you to post an advert in the Nairobi classifieds section. Please, specify in your advert what exactly you are looking for.

There is a category for household appliances.

Good luck,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@FemiB Hey, happy new year. Have you sold the washing machine?

Hello Jenna k,

It's been 5 years since FemiB posted her message.

I don't think that the washing machine is still available...

Also, since you are new on the forum, do tell us a bit more about yourself on the thread New members of the Kenya forum, introduce yourselves here - 2023

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team