Menu
Expat.com

Visiting in November to explore future opportunities

Last activity 19 July 2017 by jacott

Doug C

Hi we are a 43 yr old couple with an empty nest and looking to explore options to relax and enjoy life away from Canada. We will be visiting Placencia in late November and would like to know more about what to expect. We are wanting to use this trip as a research project to see if we want to come back and spend 6 months or year +++ To live there. I guess my question to the forum is what does a couple do day to day after a period of being there. Yes understand you relax enjoy the sites meet locals and try to fit in but coming from full time jobs in Canada then doing nothing how do you spend your days. As beautiful as we hear it is we can't just wake up everyday and sit on a beach I personally would want to have something to do... Whether its volunteer work or get into business to occupy your day and try to feel like you are part of the community. What have others done? Please tell us your experience on how you adjusted to paradise.

BCLawrence

We too wish to do the same. So we will be following the posts with interest.

terrific

well it is not difficult to start your own business but research well to find what businesses are lacking in the area you are going to be in, remember Belize is a poor country so the local population are not going to have masses of disposable income and the majority of expats are likely to be retired persons on fixed income so finding a niche can be difficult. You will be expected to employ local workers in the business.
Volunteering is an option but you will require a visa to do it, fees will be involved. I know it sounds mean to make it difficult to give away your time to help the community but the reasoning is that if expat volunteers are doing those real  jobs that  could or would otherwise go to paid Local workers then it is less help to the local community than simply making paid jobs for them. Apart from those options the only other suggestion is to find a hobby that is suited to the climate and your lifestyle.

Aerodex

Terrific is correct on starting your own business. You will also need a work permit, and a monthly trip to the closest government immigration office to renew your visa until you gain permanent resident status. {2-4 years) If running a business, one is not eligible for the QRP program.

In the Placencia area, the Rotary Club is very active and do a tremendous amount of community work with both Expats and locals contributing.

Please look through the previous threads on these subjects in various threads as most people ask many of the same questions and there is a ton of great information/advice already posted here. Just make sure to note the date of posts as some are old.

Presentations
Moderated by Julien 7 years ago
Reason : advertising your services is not allowed on the forums : please register in our business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Aerodex

Oh goooodiee, an advertisement disguised as a forum post..... sad.png

Presentations

I shared my experience and would be willing to share that and sources of businesses and volunteer groups that I donate or utilize my time to regularly. My "advertisement" is an option not a requirement for communication .  Anytime you sit in a bar or a cafe in Belize or anywhere, a similar sort of conversation would be normal and likely .  My experiences are the main thread , my potential help is an option .

Aerodex
Presentations wrote:

I shared my experience and would be willing to share that and sources of businesses and volunteer groups that I donate or utilize my time to regularly. My "advertisement" is an option not a requirement for communication .  Anytime you sit in a bar or a cafe in Belize or anywhere, a similar sort of conversation would be normal and likely .  My experiences are the main thread , my potential help is an option .

Right now my BS Detector is registering its highest reading. Right now it's no different than the many smooth talking scam/scheme/MLM emails I get jamming my inbox every week. All generalities and nothing specific is a sure sign of a master of BS.

billdoesbelize
Presentations wrote:

After many years of visiting Belize regularly for many years,  I learned a bit about the culture of the country and individual traits of certain towns and villages.

I tried to utilize the locally grown seaweed to build on the health and beauty benefits. Because of the socioeconomic conditions of this poor country, there is limited ability to create a product or service that can be profitable.

I have not given up, but I have had to find another way to create a win/win way to feel productive and meaningful  and potentially a very productive income.   

I just discovered this business that pleases my heart and my goals for success just 4 days ago.

If you will please let me share with you a proven successful ,meaningful purposeful way that lifts everyone up.........

I shared my experience and would be willing to share that and sources of businesses and volunteer groups that I donate or utilize my time to regularly. My "advertisement" is an option not a requirement for communication .  Anytime you sit in a bar or a cafe in Belize or anywhere, a similar sort of conversation would be normal and likely .  My experiences are the main thread , my potential help is an option

Kathleen this forum is to provide experiences of life in Belize to help others make an informed decision on their personal move. The beginning of your post appears to be just that, but the line was crossed after the sentence "I just discovered this business that pleases my heart and my goals for success just 4 days ago."

While advertising is an appropriate topic in the local bar or cafe in Belize, it is strictly forbidden on this Forum. I would ask you to review the forum "Code of Conduct". This type of "information" (Ad) can be placed in the "Classifieds" section found under the "Handy Tools" tab at the top of the page.

Monkey Town brew

So, there are loads of people here with great ideas and motivation but not money. If you hang out and put your ear to the ground and are a good judge of character, you can find beautiful things to support.
We have little kids and work online, so we've no shortage of things to do. If you get super bored, you can borrow our kids 😂

jacott

Hello Doug C,

I have often wondered the same about how ex-pats keep busy in Placencia as it is a small town located at the end of a long peninsula with only the usual bars and restaurants for entertainment. Of course, if you own a boat it is diferent matter.

I have lived in Belize for over 30 years and really enjoy living in the Cayo District. It is not on the sea but nowhere is far from the sea in Belize.

There is much to see and do in Cayo, and Mexico and Guatemala are close by, for those who like travelling. I often go to Cancun for a long weekend.

I would suggest that you take the time to visit the whole country bepore deciding on a particular destination to retire to.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belize

• Using phones in Belize
    Using phones in Belize

Belize has a national telecommunications company, Belize Telemedia, Limited, and several mobile phone companies ...

• Connecting to the internet in Belize
    Connecting to the internet in Belize

Belize enjoys decent internet coverage. Unfortunately it is slow and expensive. The country has many internet ...

• How to drive in Belize
    How to drive in Belize

In Belize, you can drive with an international driver's license, and you can often drive with a license from ...

• Where's the Beef?
    Where's the Beef?

Before visiting Belize to determine if it was a country we could permanently relocate to, we did an awful lot of ...

• Sports in Belize
    Sports in Belize

Sport has always been a part of Belizean life. Although the country does not have a lot in terms of professional ...

• Banking in Belize
    Banking in Belize

Belize was once known to be a real banking haven, a place where banking secrecy was guaranteed. The situation ...

• Childcare and education in Belize
    Childcare and education in Belize

If you are moving to Belize with your family, you likely have questions about child care and education. There are ...

• Customs in Belize
    Customs in Belize

Every country regulates what can and cannot cross its borders to prevent the spread of disease, adhere to local ...

All of Belize's guide articles