Resume for teaching job

Hi, I'm working on finding an English teaching job in Vietnam. I am a native English speaker, TEFL certified and a journalist. It's been years since I have written a resume, and my work and leisure experience are varied.  I was wondering if there is a resume writing resource that offers advice, (or templates), specifically for this situation. Thanks!

Pandora's box is open...     :idontagree:

Go Ogle.   It is (infinite?)ly  resourceful.

Just type in 'resume writing', advice, formats, templates, (etc)

* Keep Clear!    ..you are in danger of being overwhelmed...    :blink:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I should have worded my question to indicate that I was looking for Vietnam, tefl- specific tips.

Then you must accept this is Viet Nam:

Western systems don't transfer well in this culture
where reality bites - on the bum, mostly.

The water analogy of Tao is best, for opening your mind,
going with the flow, finding the paths of least resistance
(as Viet people do so well)

Being a little recalcitrant and a touch of anarchy work well
for those able to connect the dots.

Research parallel posts.   You'll get the idea.

Experience is the best teacher

You should probably keep the resume fairly short and simple. Most schools will just be interested in your availability and contact information. As a female native speaker with a TEFL cert, you should have no problem finding work, especially if you are good with teaching kids.

Your timing is a bit off though. Tết is just around the corner. Schools will be closed for around 2 weeks in the middle of February.

http://vietnamteachingjobs.com is a good place to start, but the best thing to do is go around the  schools near where you live (if you're in-country) and network with locals and any teachers you know or meet.

Remember to be selective, ask a lot of questions and don't believe everything you hear. There are many poorly managed schools/dodgy recruiters out there.

John,
Thank you for that valuable advice. Ahead of me is to see if my 3 month plan is doable, and I'd also like to speak to people, maybe older, who can tell me about their experience.

fairycastle wrote:

Ahead of me is to see if my 3 month plan is doable, and I'd also like to speak to people, maybe older, who can tell me about their experience.

One of the problems that language centers face, but don't really acknowledge, is that the younger people that they prefer to hire don't stick around.  Twice I have had to take over classes because the teacher left prematurely.  The husband of one of my wife's friends had been, before he moved to Canada, a hiring manager for ILA, one of the largest chains that typically hires younger people below forty.  I asked him what his average teacher stay was and he admitted that it probably averaged about nine months, so a fair number must have left around six months.  This is no way to run a business.

The typical class is just about the same as your intended stay so you would have to begin and end at just the right times.  Your value as a slightly older teacher should be durability.  (I was searching for another word but durability should do.)   First, I wouldn't tell any prospective employer that I was planning to leave on a set date.  It would be a good reason for them to not hire you.  Second, ethically you should plan to stick with any classes you are assigned until the normal class ending date.

johnross23 wrote:

...the best thing to do is go around the  schools near where you live (if you're in-country) and network with locals and any teachers you know or meet.

This is excellent advice.  I worked at one language center close to our apartment and only public schools in the same district.  You don't want to be taking 30 minute motorbike rides to get to work in the rainy season.  :sosad:  Of course you might want to reverse the sequence and find the job first then look for a nearby place to stay, hopefully with some help from your fellow teachers or the school staff.

Dear THIGV,
More sound, and encouraging advice. So, where are the classifieds with job descriptions? I found some with superficial listings...

Hi all, I am researching my options for teaching in Vietnam and am speaking to you from the rabbit hole. I am at the point of more questions than answers and I'm hoping that you can help.
The goal is 3 months teaching English. There are some good listings on tnhviretnam, though I think I'll be disqualified for many of the jobs due to my time commitment and age (though I am more qualified that most applicants). Private tutoring is an option, or a combo. I really would like to avoid boots on the ground, rather I need work lined up in advance. Anyway, it's overwhelming.
I'd love to suggestions about location. HCMC is out. I'm focussing on Hanoi, but have no idea of the layout. When people contact me for tutoring,  I don't know if it's convenient or not worth it.
And where would I want to live in Hanoi? Obviously some place charming. BTW, I spent a month cycling Vietnam, so I know it superficially.
I love Hanoi, but perhaps I should focus on a smaller city where transportation to students won't be such an issue.  Any help appreciated!

If you just want to teach 3 months, you should come during the summer (roughly June - Aug) when the kids are out of school and language centers put on a lot of courses. This is the peak hiring season. Demand is huge.

In addition to searching for jobs, you can also search for the schools. Every major school has their own website that lists all of their branches and usually job openings. In addition, nearly every single school has a facebook page, There are also FB pages where jobs are posted and teachers/expat groups, both for the whole country and each major city.

The link http://vietnamteachingjobs.com was posted above. You can post your CV/resume there in addition to browsing the ads.

In terms of private tutoring, this site https://www.expat.com also has classified ads:
https://www.expat.com/en/classifieds/as … asses.html

You should note that private tuition isn't a big thing in VN, with the exception of expats, mostly Japanese and Korean. Locals don't have the money and mostly view English classes as a social activity.

You say, "I really would like to avoid boots on the ground, rather I need work lined up in advance."

Actually, unless you get some really fantastic offer (which may be too good too be true), there's not much advantage in signing up for something sight unseen. Contact a lot of schools (after Tết), see what they say, narrow it down (probably based on location), then meet with the most interesting schools face to face when you arrive.

Regarding location, there are now at least a few language centers (and more springing up each day) in every city from Hai Phong all the way down to Can Tho. I even know a guy teaching in Buôn Ma Thuột, up in the Central Highlands. It's the coffee capital of VN and thus surprisingly prosperous.

In short, you have plenty of options in terms of both schools and cities. Research and network online now, so you'll have your targets lined up and be ready to hit the ground running when you arrive.

John, how exciting and what great advice. I have also relieved some anxiety (I'm leaving in about a month!) by ruling out Hanoi, it's just too overwhelming for a 3 month stay. I'm focussing on Hoi An and Nha Trang. Feel free to comment/make suggestions.
I'll report back. Rosanna

One piece of advice that is often given here and on other venues is that anyone coming to Vietnam to work should bring at least enough for a return ticket and a minimum of two months living expenses.  In all likelihood you will be buying a round trip plane ticket, if you have three months living expenses, about $3000 in cash if you spend wisely, it would take away a lot of the strain over whether you find a job.  If you find a job, great.  If not, three months in Hoi An or Nha Trang would be a fantastic vacation.

Good point. Also, I believe that V-N has the 6 month passport rule, meaning that your passport cannot be used if it is due to expire in 6 months. Not sure how a visa factors in, but I'm good to go.

Again, the vacation idea relieves some stress. I'm sure I can pick up some tutoring and maybe editing (I'm a journalist and editor), maybe volunteer work...