Age limit for native English teachers

I am wondering if anyone could tell me the age limit for teaching in Vietnam? Are there any options for those over 60?

If not, are there any countries in Asia that employ over 60s?

Thanks!
I am wondering if anyone could tell me the age limit for teaching in Vietnam? Are there any options for those over 60?

Thanks!
- @dawnbuckley

Are you talking about legally and obtaining a work permit? If so, there is no age limit as far as I know. Getting a job over 60 is harder than someone younger, but still possible. Also comes down to what you teach and your credentials.

Thanks!
- @dawnbuckley

Your best source of information about teaching in Vietnam are the actual schools who may potentially employ you. Have a look at

https://vietnamteachingjobs.com

to see who is hiring (most of the schools are looking now) and contact those that look interesting.

Be cautious about any information you receive though.

Actually, if you scroll down toward the bottom of the site's homepage, you will see where they have added several other sections providing information beyond just job ads.

Your best source of information about teaching in Vietnam are the actual schools who may potentially employ you. Have a look at

to see who is hiring
- @johnross23

Shame on you for not mentioning the Expat.com classifieds.  /s/

1f60e.svg

to see who is hiring
- @johnross23

1f60e.svg
- @THIGV

Don't you mean Jobs?1f923.svg

to see who is hiring
- @johnross23

1f60e.svg
- @THIGV

Yes, there are a few teaching jobs posted there. Thanks for the reminder.

Here's the link:

https://www.expat.com/en/jobs/asia/vietnam/

@dawnbuckley  Theres no age limit . Just that schools would rather hire a cute blonde chick over a sweaty hairy old dude. So you at a disadvantage. We used to call VUS , Hollywood because of all the cute chicks and prettyboys they hired. In fact they cared not a jot that an older man had years of teaching experience under his belt and was loads better at the job than some pretty college boy just off the plane.

@dawnbuckley
I have seen nothing from the government concerning age limit.
Schools will set their own requirements. Remember that laws concerning age discrimination are nonexistent.
Advanced degrees would probably extend the age. Some schools have posted limits like 61-65.
@dawnbuckley

I'm 73 living in DaNang and still get offers to instruct...My problem is; I interview them and I will not instruct IELTS, 'British English'.  Never heard of an AGE problem...

Thanks!
- @dawnbuckley
Welcome to the Vietnam forum dawnbuckley!

A mature woman likely stands a better chance than an older man (see previous comments).

While I was in Đà Nẵng (winter of 2018; age 67) I was actively recruited by two different learning centers to teach English.

It wasn't because of my credentials (I didn't have any) but because a face.book friend made and posted a short video of me singing a simple folk song while playing acoustic guitar.

They both wanted me to come and sing the simple songs Vietnamese children learn, demonstrating proper English pronunciation/enunciation.

The language center in Tam Kỳ, Quảng Nam (about an hour and 15 minutes south of central Đà Nẵng) was especially aggressive, because it's definitely not a first choice location for younger people wanting to live a lot and work a little in Vietnam.

So if a person is "older" and seriously wants to live and teach in Vietnam (with legal credentials) it's almost certainly possible if you are willing to live in a less-than-desirable location for most foreigners.

Having some singing/musical ability would likely be a good thing.

Good luck!

O.B.
Vietnam advisor
Expat.com team
You (Dawn) might be interested in following the discussion in this thread (link)

@dawnbuckley  Theres no age limit . Just that schools would rather hire a cute blonde chick over a sweaty hairy old dude. So you at a disadvantage. We used to call VUS , Hollywood because of all the cute chicks and prettyboys they hired. In fact they cared not a jot that an older man had years of teaching experience under his belt and was loads better at the job than some pretty college boy just off the plane.

- @mikedylan2001
******:
I  went into teaching/learning in public schools at 40 something. Experienced similar stuff, but received accolades, awards, etc., worked with 'great kids' who were one bounce away from juvenile hall, was told I was a "breath of fresh air."
Still prejudice abounded, worked with new teachers  (younger) who were somewhat green and afraid of over-paid administrators. Defended them.  ... So, here is a another witness  in reference to more than a few administrators preferring "eye candy" over strong ability and experience (beyond a teaching credential).
That is in the past.
Now here in VN, I am able to breath and teach again with heart, with passion.
I am sorry to report  my experienced / observed truth of this matter, I pray I have not offended anyone.
PS, not sweaty, but hairy.
Mac. 
Moderated by Yoginee last year
Reason : Kindly use polite words on the forum. Thanks
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@OceanBeach92107 Hi I was wondering if you can recommend a school in Da Nang for a first time teacher, CELTA and TEFL certified but no experience, over age 60

@OceanBeach92107 Hi am looking for school recommendations for short term teaching position in Vietnam. Over 60, newly certified in TEFL and CELTA but no experience?

@OceanBeach92107 Hi I was wondering if you can recommend a school in Da Nang for a first time teacher, CELTA and TEFL certified but no experience, over age 60

-@bekkicallaway

No.

One answer is to come here and join one of the dedicated F.B. groups for teachers here and announce your availability for interviews.

Good luck

@OceanBeach92107 Hi am looking for school recommendations for short term teaching position in Vietnam. Over 60, newly certified in TEFL and CELTA but no experience?        -@bekkicallaway

Hello bekkicallaway, and welcome to the forum.

You hadn't mentioned your holding the minimum of a 4-year university degree (any field. eg. BA, BSC), a prerequisite to teaching English in Vietnam. There is no age restriction to teaching English.

A recent thread, titled "New Foreign English Teachers Requirements Decision 4159/QD-BGDDT" (Link) gives some details regarding amendments to holding a legal teaching position in Vietnam.

Feel free to ask additional questions, participate in our other ongoing threads, or open a new topic of your own for discussion, here.

Once again, welcome to expat.com

@Aidan in HCMC Thank you! Yes I have an undergrad in Marketing and an MBA - I was a market research analyst in my previous life!

@OceanBeach92107 Thank you!