Menu
Expat.com

What is the significance of dolls in front of trees?

Last activity 20 February 2018 by Puppy1975

Vate

photo

I recently saw this while biking at Bang Krachao park. My friend said that he heard that if there's a doll in front of a worship tree, it means that the spirits surrounding the tree is nothing good.

Is this true?

P.S. The mannequin makes this even creepier, doesn't it? With its head separated from its body and all.... while approaching the tree to get a better quality pic, I almost ran face-first into a spider suspended in the air on its web. Made it almost seem like this tree is so sacred it's guarded..... *shivers*

GuestPoster145

It is hard to give a definitive answer without knowing the specific reason for this shrine but there are a few likely options.  Someone may feel that tree has a spirit residing in it, benevolent or malevolent, which they either respect or are trying to placate.  There could have been an accident in that area or something perceived to be magical could have occurred.  Personally I think you are making too much of it but it is always good to make observations of new surroundings and ask questions to further your own knowledge base.

You will encounter shrines and spirt houses everywhere you go.  We have this one in front of our house which gets used by our cats as much as by the spirits.  We like to hike and sometime pack a light lunch to eat on the mountain top before heading back down.  My wife feels it is only polite to make a small offering of food to the spirts residing there which I find kind of cute and endearing.  Fortunately ours is not an overly superstitious household and rituals are only performed when it is convenient.

qt9x4_tnkg-0vdQzoHFDaTHFzKww0ShC4AJnQrWs8FsicUwR67dOTgzSVh7sLJ7Je7FipueSqIvRfncyiqSR7OjZTClyXmSyf_ymLyeTX63vMBSfaQp0rKwGKa33IHHARrJXsAU1h2ncHzGOnE62viQ28Nj_ipDuCxD6Rdz-g2X88OPPEYHyJJn8NuISh_xkLsjaPO5ydP75WS-l4hXiTtPXn4CnmaMfHkOPUUuypF2lxvEkrMqUYYONVdhmVYPbLHX_g1WMOcqQtwLjE2iLL-IudSCGqL4_3pGqBdN5C5F8RLEpOE94cIL3MGoKeb3AwO7B7tDKFIN-KQvRow_YiiN5cuS0f2eepIULtbOxRb7a5ZpGpfg2PDrCOdpwEHpfDqk0M_gZDGJohhdf7rwKrkUjI7Yw856KyBLqZc3udbL7ayX9cW7wFMRKU5jBxhOV3Qb-GZ-p2DCSTKHUVrEf9qdgZBOpFtJUTbujdKvdwCg34T8geSu20KZGfQgZhKfOdRVvikBjIl598A3d9fLE5HdKdX-LXS8fr7w5mdPZ6N5j_QXhgfhYyemx2f4GjtMsiCbHjqcbof7z-rYyB87OYuVrqKaHf6afG_8cRLhFWFgxBQWMS3Dalr90vYSqvBKIhvlJEbusGwCEpLOA8ejrHKWWggUa-RDBtw=w739-h1024-no

thailand4me

We have a Spirit House that belongs to our condo, people take food offerings there & drinks everyday. At onetime there was about 50 or more Zebra's at the foot of the house, not sure why. when we first moved in the building was new & many people said the spirits were restless. I just go along with the culture, take a back seat to everything.

Vate
thailand4me wrote:

We have a Spirit House that belongs to our condo, people take food offerings there & drinks everyday. At onetime there was about 50 or more Zebra's at the foot of the house, not sure why. when we first moved in the building was new & many people said the spirits were restless. I just go along with the culture, take a back seat to everything.

Zebras?

yeah spirit houses are common, but dolls are less so

Ruffian Dick

Cat sacrifice!?!?! How horrible!
wink.png

GuestPoster145

The only ones doing blood sacrifice around here would be Lord Tiger and his brother.  They have absolutely decimated the mouse population in the fields around our house. big_smile.png

Puppy1975

These spirits don't seem very grateful or hungry, as they never eat any of the food left for them.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Thailand

All of Thailand's guide articles