Advice needed from residing expats !

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a company/bakery/enthusiasts (quality, though) in Riga or other city who can make a traditional English wedding cake (as in fruit cake/christmas cake...)?
I am beginning to despair, as the ones I've  asked, have no idea what I am talking about and has even greater "no idea" where to get (or what is) "peel", etc.

Thanks for your help in advane!

Desperate wife to be.........

it depends when you need it.we will be moving there this summer and my hubbie is an executive chef and could make if for.or get it made and shipped? anneava

You will be very lucky to get anywhere near a Wedding cake ... took me ages to teach Wife's mother to make a traditional English Fruit Cake ... well nearly ! You can't get the mized spice etc. that's needed.
I have 2 Dessert and Cake recipe books that are lent out at moment to relatives ... who are trying hard to recreate some of the items.
Me ? Luckily I have plenty of fruit on my land and make loads of pies and crumbles with it ...

I try to keep a good stock of Gravy Granules, Custard Powder, Cheddar Cheese ... even proper sausages !! Have friends in UK who send out what we term 'Red Cross' parcels every now and then ...

Nigel
Ventspils
(Riga ? UGH !! you have to be joking ... !! :P;) )

anneava wrote:

it depends when you need it.we will be moving there this summer and my hubbie is an executive chef and could make if for.or get it made and shipped? anneava

Thanks for the offer, but I do not like the idea of shipping a 3-tier cake :) . 2-3 hrs of driving it to the reception place sounds bad enough to me :)

solentlife wrote:

You will be very lucky to get anywhere near a Wedding cake ... took me ages to teach Wife's mother to make a traditional English Fruit Cake ... well nearly ! You can't get the mized spice etc. that's needed.
I have 2 Dessert and Cake recipe books that are lent out at moment to relatives ... who are trying hard to recreate some of the items.
Me ? Luckily I have plenty of fruit on my land and make loads of pies and crumbles with it ...

I try to keep a good stock of Gravy Granules, Custard Powder, Cheddar Cheese ... even proper sausages !! Have friends in UK who send out what we term 'Red Cross' parcels every now and then ...

Nigel
Ventspils
(Riga ? UGH !! you have to be joking ... !! :P;) )

Well, I'll try to be lucky :) !
I could make fruit cake myself (as supplies are not a problem to bring from UK), but I am definately not experienced enough to make all those pretty/fancy roses, etc. :)

Whats wrong with Riga??

Whats wrong with Riga ?
I have my laboratorys in Riga and clients - they are only reason I go there to be honest, and airport of course.
Having lived in Ventspils so long ... I prefer the good roads, clean town .... near zero crime .... my house and estate is just not possible in Riga ...
Like most capital cities - they seem to get divorced from normal life outside of them and I find Riga particularly bad for it.

It's my opinion and understand that others may not share it. As we know - Riga and Ventspils have for many a year had a love-hate relationship .... even more so after 'politically motivated events' last couple of years.

I also appreciate that for many expats - it is not convenient to live / work as I do. They tend to centre on Riga as that's where most work. I'm lucky that I am Company Owner of Marine and Petrochemical Inspection services - so my residence is where I wish to live, rather than physical necessity.

Latvia needs help and especially with present economic climate - I really don't see where the politicians get their stats from - the villages and towns are suffering. More care and thought for them. Riga has always had financial problems - that's a fact that will continue.....

How long have I lived in Baltic ? Since 1993. So I'm not a recent visitor ;) I'm married to local lass ... own property and companys' in Latvia ... I'm committed to Latvia and helping in my small way.

Cheers
Nigel