Menu
Expat.com

Is 2000 USD in hand is good salary in Mexico City?

Last activity 22 April 2018 by Leyequien

ganeshdumbare92

Hi All,

I am moving to Mexico City in next month and I will be getting 2000 USD in hand monthly. Housing will be provided by organisation itself. So how much can I save monthly as I am single.

mexicogc

Hi, the answer to the question about savings depends on what will be your way of living.

But with 2000$USD (around 36000$ pesos), someone can go a long way in Mexico. At the start, I would ask the question to co-workers. My wife and I live on the Riviera Nayarit coast and without cutting on nohing (beer, wine, 3 restaurants/ week), our spending is around 18000$/month/2 persons.

Buena suerte en su proyecto. GyC.

chilanguito

It depends where are you going to be working at. I had a friend that she got a job in Santa fe and of course there rent its very expensive that she couldn't afford it.  A room in condesa or Roma will start in 6000 pesos. Polanco is very expensive. An apartment for yourself could be 20000 Mexican pesos or more. So basically half of your salary. Basically you will have to rent a room or have roommates to make it work with your salary. Also ask them if they are paying you in dollars or Mexican pesos and how much they will convert dollars into Mexican pesos. If they pay you in dollars you will have to find a money exchange house and they make money out of that so the dollars that they pay you will be exchange for less than the market value. I met a military guy in Mexico city that was training some Mexican police and he negotiated less pay but a free apartment. He was living in an apartment where people pay 24000 MX pesos, but for his was free since he negotiated. I assumed that you will not pay taxes on your salary and that you will not have a contract. I advise you to negotiate money for your rent or they find you a place close to your work.

Poster91

So, if they pay you in dollars, best place to exchange money is usually the airport... But ANY bank can help you.

If accommodation is provided, 2000USD CAN go a loooooooong way. Most people live here on half that, with no perks (i.e. free accommodation, which is not cheap here).

CAN being the operative word here.

it's very easy to go posh here and spend all that money and then some. It really depends on your spending habits. Mexico City CAN be dirt cheap, or it CAN be as expensive as NYC. It's up to you.

Regardless, you'll love it here, I promise. Good luck!

Leyequien

So, a few pointers, 2k is a med high salary, if you are in Interlomas, or Santa Fe, transport is a main issue, you either get a cab, a bus or have your own car, but warning, if you get a bus in santa fe or interlomas, make sure it is an Ecobus, the regular buses are... Unsafe, but Ecobus takes a long time, now, how much you save is up to you, if you are like me, always eating outside, spending a lot on vices(Video games lol) and then you will save very little, but you can save a lot if you are used to eat at home and are moderate with your leisure expenses. IDK what else can I say that other's haven't said already.

PS To exchange, the airport is said to be good, but I found that outside the airport CIBanco is the best to exchange, especially if you open an account with them.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mexico City

All of Mexico's guide articles