Menu
Expat.com

Life - But not as we know it, Jim, it’s better

Last activity 22 August 2018 by blackjack2010

Ben1942

I apologize for misquoting  Bone’s from Star Trek but it seemed appropriate. My life had changed from having all that I needed to virtual collapse in a few months. Investments I had made in a start-up company despite looking very promising suddenly went under. My houses in the USA and UK went into negative equity and finally my wife, succomed to all the financial and emotional pressures. It was the perfect storm, a tsunami of events that almost took evryone under and left me emotionally distraught. I needed to start again. A rebirth with new friends and new neighbors.
I had know idea how I was going to achieve this or what I was going to do. I had a UK pension plus two small private works pensions. In total they were not enough to live on in the USA or in the UK comfortably.  After watching an advertisement for a new Emirates route from Houston to Bangkok via Moscow in early 2014 I booked a one way ticket for the flight to Thailand on June 6th 2014.
Having obtained a six month visa from the Thai Embassy in Miami I commenced my journey into the unknown.
Arriving in Bangkok I originally booked into a small hotel in Soi 8 Sukhumvit before renting a small apartment. I soon made friends and learned the pitfalls and what to be enjoyed in this beautiful country.  I quickly became besotted by its culture and charm. At the end of my initial six months I obtained a retirement visa. These last for twelve months and require that I visit immigration every ninety days. I have now been in the country for over four years. For the last three years I have lived on the coast in a beautiful village called Laem Mae Phim in the province of Rayong in  Eastern Thailand.  The fresh fish, prawns and fruit are delicious as are the people and cooler seaside temperatures.
Two years ago at the age of seventy- four I began writing novels under the name of SAM BOYD. I have since had four novels published on Amazon. As proof only, they can be found under the following titles. CONSEQUENCES, REPERCUSSIONS. MISSING LINKS and DOYLE SF02. They are part of the Jack Turner Series. If anyone wants to check them out.
Thirty months ago I met the love of my life and we live together in this idyllic paradise. From the worst period imaginable has come this inspirational period of tranquility, peace and happiness. Every day I write and count my blessings that this Expat Life has given me. Thailand has many differences but if you embrace its life and culture it will embrace you too. I wish I had found it earlier.

Alkonoz

Colorful, inspiring experience Ben!
Wish you enjoy all the rest days of your life full of peace, good health and happiness in the land of smiles smile.png

Barry343

Very happy for you

Ben1942

Thank you so much. I appreciate your reply.

Ben1942

Thank you for your good wishes and comments.

davidcolinburt

It's nice to get a fresh start when there seems to be no way out of a difficult situation. Harking back to that old adage about life's trials and tribulations, "When one door closes, another door opens". Thank you for your story.   dcb

Ben1942

Thank you so much for your interest and taking time to reply.

LeighPimi

A great story that was interesting to read, I really am the new boy in town as I moved here in May after many recce trips over here.
I have settled in Korat and it’s made my life so much better than the UK life I left behind.
I embrace the culture and smile - perfect 👍

Ben1942

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed. I hope your retirement goes well. Find a hobby you like and you will love this beautiful land,

mchkin

Like your style even if ya have me beat by 4 years...  I fell for Thailand to. started in Sattahib 67 to 70 as a soldier and new I wanted to come back if I lived long enough to to actually retire...  Live in Hua Hin but would like to move back over to your side of the bar..  Anyway ENJOY guy....

blackjack2010

good luck to you

life is full of surprises and more like a box of chocolates - Gump

Articles to help you in your expat project in Thailand

All of Thailand's guide articles