Menu
Expat.com

Sending and receiving packages in the Philippines

Last activity 11 December 2018 by taggsy

Priscilla

Hello,

As an expat, there are inevitably certain items you might want or need from back home, and around the holiday period, many people like to send gift packages.

How easy is it to send and receive packages in the Philippines?

Is the public postal system efficient?

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in the Philippines?

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Andreas Greek

From Greece to Philippines it takes about 40 days for sea cargo and the charges are quite reasonable.The service is door to door.All inclusive.My wife sends very often items to Philippines.The same in Cyprus.

Same service in China, where you can purchase items and sent to their warehouse and they bring to Philippines.

All the above are based on my experience and I am not related to any service.

ScottGourlay

Phil Post is extremely unreliable especially outside Manila and I would never use it. Any of the usual shipping companies are fine.
It can be expensive especially from Australia

Saleh2055

Dear Priscilla;
I'm from Oman and I have working in postal service for send and receive packages and any types of mail and I'm ready to work with you to make a good business.

Best Regards
Salim

Enzyte Bob

Actually Priscilla post should have said packages and mail as expats want their mail to be secure. I moved to Pasig City from Las Vegas. Having family here over 10 years, from the states we were using Star Kargo & Forex for that time. Las Vegas has a large Filipino population so we had a choice of companies. The price for door to door usually ran $85. Boxes sent every Christmas and when we moved we sent 15 boxes, every time the boxes arrive intact.

Now in receiving our mail we use US Global Mail, http://www.usglobalmail.com a re-mailer service based in Houston Texas to forward our mail by FedEX. The monthly fee for their mailbox depends on how many names are on the box and whether you pay monthly or you make a longer commitment. 

You don't have to ship by FedEx you have a choice of companies at various service levels, even US Postal. They email you a scan of the outside of the envelope  when mail arrives at  US Global Mail , so you can discard any junk mail. If you think it's something important they will open and email you a scan ($3.50 a page) if you want. I want my financial stuff to be secure, that's most of my mail. How many times do you receive special offers from your charge card company offering special checks? You don't want this to fall into the wrong hands.

I let my mail accumulate before I have them send it. Since they send out thousands of pieces of mail they have negotiated special special prices which is close to 50% what you would usually pay. If I remember correctly I think my last batch was $38, FedEx to my door in 3 or 4 days.

Their service is good, emails usually answered within a day. Also I just order stuff (vitamins) etc etc from Walgreens, Sam's Club & Amazon. You know Amazon will send a giant box for a small bottle of 81 mg aspirins. US Global will open all the packages and repack them together.

I hope this has been helpful.

Johni Joes

I did purchase a large quantity of items online and they all took about 9 weeks to arrive to Davao. So I do not order anything anymore, its all too slow.

Cacababa

Hi yes thete is many private post mail services and as well as the philpost  govenment post srvice. You can send and receved post mails easily but if ur items under custem duty u have to pay and if its not  then u dont delevery will be at ur door step if its small.pack and if its biger and recvd by philpost u have to go for collect it from post office.but private sercice such  as DHL  OCS.etc they will delever at ur door step hope u  got info u looking for.have a great day

Rammers

The Postal Service in the small Bohol town where we live, can only be described as “quaint“.
The Post Office seems to open unpredictably.  The Staff when it's open are very friendly (Unlike Post Office Workers in the rest of the World) The Postman sometimes stops me in the Street and gives me my Letters. But maybe this is because I am one of the few Foreigners living here, and easily recognised.
Letters, and small packages  to and from Europe take about Three to Four Weeks. I won't Pay for the Express Service, as the cost is Exccesive compared with the Standard. Everything I have sent has been delivered, and everythig sent to me has been recieved.

But thank goodness for e mail.

LemSaDipolog

Hello;

1. DO NOT USE Philpost,  Manila seldom stamps arrival mail but the few times it has it showed that it took 1 to 2 months, yes minimum 4 maximum 8 weeks to get to a sizable city in Mindanao, Dipolog.

2. LBC has sent back packages because they did not want to "bother" to deliver to our barangay.

Lem

brucemj

Hi Priscilla

While I have limited experience in shipping/receiving things here in Cebu, I have had 6 packages I ordered online from Canada (but shipped from Singapore and Malaysia) that I successfully received via Philpost.  Picked them up at Cebu Central PO-only 1 or 2 people ahead of me each time.  Paid the dues (112 pesos each time) and left.

However, there are a number of non-Philpost shipping/receiving options but expect them to be more expensive.  There is a UPS office in Mandaue City and they do deliver as I have seen the UPS truck coming in and out several time from where I live.

I also buy from Amazon in the US and have items shipped here via a Philippine company and they are very reliable (but it does take about 48 days by water but they do do air delivery also).

Good luck
Bruce

fixfireleo

Do they open packages you get from Amazon?  If I ordered a laptop, let's say and it came in an Amazon box with the laptop box inside, would I have to pay import taxes or do they just deliver it?

brucemj

Hi Fix

I use a Philippine company in the US.  I order from Amazon (or any other company) and have it shipped directly to the Philippine company warehouse where they box it up and deliver it to my door.  They have two shipping options: air and sea.  I have never used their air as have been patient enough to wait the 48 days (to the Visayans-quicker to the Manila area) to get the boxes plus air shipping is probably pretty expensive and when I buy from the US it is a lot.  The boxes are insured to $500 and the fee paid includes import taxes.  Never have had a box opened and have used them perhaps 8 -10 times and never was missing an item.

Of course, there are restrictions on what can be shipped which is listed on the company's website.

Not sure if I can post the name of the company here as do not want to violate any forum rules.  But you can PM me and I can share my phone number/email to provide more info.

Thanks
Bruce

LemSaDipolog

What company?  Who transports and delivers for them in the Philippines?

brucemj

It is a Philippine company with offices and warehouses in the US and in the Philippines so they handle the packing, shipping (via cargo vessel) and delivery.

http://forexcargo.us/

LemSaDipolog

Marami Salamat

Tim Hodges

Hi Priscilla
After much investigation,I’ve settled on 2 companies to send to the Philippines they at Forex and Pack & Send .
For some things I’ll use Forex ,for anything valuable I’m using Pack & Send .
Tim.

taggsy

im usually there 6 months of the year scott but im back in uk just now and want to send some boxes over by ship, i know it takes 30-40 days but thats ok do u no any reliable shipping companys.
                 Thanks Phil

VadimDiver

To: Philippines
Who: "Forex" parcel delivery Inc.
tel. +1-416-335-8555 (Toronto)
tel. +1-613-829-9861 (Ottawa).

Good luck !

Enzyte Bob

I also had good experiences with Forex and also used Star Kargo.

taggsy

👍

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles