Menu
Expat.com

Where are most English speaking expats+where are emerging areas?

Last activity 16 April 2020 by gobot

workplacestars

Currently trying to narrow down where to start my recon trip for semi-retirement. Da Nang, Vung Tao or ? Grateful for any ideas, suggestions and connections...

Good_Man

Hey workplacestars

Depending on what you are looking for there are tons of places along the coast that offer a wide variety of options.

If you like the trappings of the big city then DaNang is a better option. Vung Tau along with Nha Trang are nice tourist areas, if you are into that scene.

I personally chose a third option, Quy Nhon. It's a relatively small port city with a developing expat community that still keeps many of the Vietnamese traditions,  but is slowly becoming more cosmopolitan. It's also a bit cheaper for food, rent and living expenses,  and you are still about an hour flight away from DaNang and HCMC. I've been here for three years and I do love this area

Good luck,

Mark

OceanBeach92107
workplacestars wrote:

Currently trying to narrow down where to start my recon trip for semi-retirement. Da Nang, Vung Tao or ? Grateful for any ideas, suggestions and connections...

Bob,

I went back and reread your intro thread post, plus your private message, and although there's a lot of info (data?) there, I can't ferret out what you really want or need in Vietnam, aside from your desire to have a positive impact.

Tell us about the life you want to live, the foods you want to eat, the help you want to have (live-in domestic help?), the things you do for fun, your sign, your average Blood Alcohol Level, your vision of a dream "semi" retirement and what "semi" work you'll be doing to keep you from going All In.

Without knowing what drives you, I'd suggest Đà Nẵng, mostly because of its central location along the coast. You'll be able to store excess luggage (no valuables) at most hotels, so you can check in and out and back in easily.

Airfare from here to many places throughout the country is relatively inexpensive. Book directly with the airline website to get the best deal. Buy train tickets at the station or directly from the website of the national railway system through the link on THIS PAGE.

Hiring a car and a mandatory driver is easy. Negotiating the best price requires getting to know at least two drivers personally (through GRAB app rideshares) and having a knowledge of the two-tier pricing system.

I personally think that the main advantage to living in expat-friendly areas is signage in our Mother Tongue. However, you pay for that help with substantially higher prices and the experience of an authentic Vietnamese cultural vacuum; at least, here you do. I think of my area as a benign ghetto of foreigners, but it suits my short-term goal of having a base of operations from which to continue exploring the surrounding countryside, while waking up every morning just a garbage bag toss from the beach.

Good luck!

workplacestars

Greetings Mark,

Really appreciate the information you provided about Quy Nhon. This is exactly the type and timely information I was seeking. What a beautiful city and with such environmental diversity. At this point it is a city that I'd like to visit and experience. I've requested to join two local area FB groups with "expats" in the group title. Excited to learn more before visiting, are there other sources you can suggest? How might I learn more about the cost of living differential between Da Nang and Quy Nhon?

Best, Bob

workplacestars
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
workplacestars wrote:

Bob,

I went back and reread your intro thread post, plus your private message, and although there's a lot of info (data?) there, I can't ferret out what you really want or need in Vietnam, aside from your desire to have a positive impact.

Tell us about the life you want to live, the foods you want to eat, the help you want to have (live-in domestic help?), the things you do for fun, your sign, your average Blood Alcohol Level, your vision of a dream "semi" retirement and what "semi" work you'll be doing to keep you from going All In.

Without knowing what drives you, I'd suggest Đà Nẵng, mostly because of its central location along the coast. You'll be able to store excess luggage (no valuables) at most hotels, so you can check in and out and back in easily.

Airfare from here to many places throughout the country is relatively inexpensive. Book directly with the airline website to get the best deal. Buy train tickets at the station or directly from the website of the national railway system through the link on THIS PAGE.

Hiring a car and a mandatory driver is easy. Negotiating the best price requires getting to know at least two drivers personally (through GRAB app rideshares) and having a knowledge of the two-tier pricing system.

I personally think that the main advantage to living in expat-friendly areas is signage in our Mother Tongue. However, you pay for that help with substantially higher prices and the experience of an authentic Vietnamese cultural vacuum; at least, here you do. I think of my area as a benign ghetto of foreigners, but it suits my short-term goal of having a base of operations from which to continue exploring the surrounding countryside, while waking up every morning just a garbage bag toss from the beach.

Good luck!

Hi OceanBeach, first off thanks for taking the time to try and understand me and what (I think) I'm seeking. As you have discerned there is a lack of clarity on my part right now about exactly what I'm looking for in terms of location...call it the "storming" phase. Not having been to VN before (Philippines yes) it is important for me to experience the experience of an extended visit to locations narrowed down from pre-visit research.

There is no existing agenda in terms of care taking support, meeting a woman or whatever. Fortunately I'm blessed with good health and a positive spirit.

Life style preferences: Being a relatively reserve and private person, yet comfortably social and conversational I'm looking for a low stress, reasonably safe, moderate cost of living city with the choice of a rural living option (my Midwestern and Southern roots). Making friends and socializing with other English speaking expats is important.

My hobbies are hiking/walking (3-5 hrs is not unusual), listening to non-fiction audiobooks and following world events. As an Aries (fire sign) exercise is good medicine.

Love the HEAT and humidity is okay.

Sashimi is my fav food. My New York diet includes lots of Costco (fresh frozen) seafood like cod, salmon and mahi-mahi 3-4 days a week rounded off with chix, pasta+veggies and some beef. Therefore locations with good fresh seafood is a plus.  I enjoy uncomplicated cooking and light baking. VN food is fantastic and spicy is okay with me. BTW, I purchase soy sauce via Ebay in multiple liters quanties.

Can't do without coffee and consume alcohol maybe once every several months in moderation.

Work is something that I've ALWAYS enjoyed. My company name is Workplace Stars (workplacestars.com) and is an internet-based employee engagement measurement company.  Working part-time is something I want to do, not have to do. Actually I'd like to find someone in the world who would like to take over my company - maybe in VN? It needs a person who is more marketing and sales oriented than me.

Whew! Your laser focused questions have served the (intended?) purpose of helping me to hone my focus. And, as usual you have provided a cornucopia of helpful information, mucho gras smile.png

Have you made a final decision about where your life's next chapter will be written?

tunnelrat69

I personally chose a third option, Quy Nhon. It's a relatively small port city with a developing expat community

It's funny, I was in the Americal Devision HQ,  Quy Nhon in 1971 when a typhoon came thru and damned near wiped it off the map, it was the worst destructiion of a city by a typhoon in Vietnam's history in over one hundred years.

But I agree very attractive, has that peninsula look about it.

workplacestars
tunnelrat69 wrote:

I personally chose a third option, Quy Nhon. It's a relatively small port city with a developing expat community

It's funny, I was in the Americal Devision HQ,  Quy Nhon in 1971 when a typhoon came thru and damned near wiped it off the map, it was the worst destructiion of a city by a typhoon in Vietnam's history in over one hundred years.

But I agree very attractive, has that peninsula look about it.

Now that is a lasting memory!

Where is there NOT the risk of some type of natural disaster?

Having lived through (counting blessings) two cat 5s (Bob & Gloria) and super storm Sandy (huge property destruction + no power for 11 days) in Long Island, New York I'll take my chances...you only live once smile.png

Pbuizz

Great thread and info.  Been I'll be in Vietnam in about 2 weeks for 2 months.  Got 1 1/2 weeks at end of trip undecided.  Maybe I'll take visit.  Any recommendations on central area to stay?

smithsfallsgirl

Can you give me more information regards to your company. I am just thinking of my son who has extensive marketing experience.

Thanks
Dianne

workplacestars

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact the member through the private messaging system to avoid any kind of advertising on the forum.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
THIGV
workplacestars wrote:

Sashimi is my fav food.

Vietnam has plenty of good quality seafood, especially in the coastal cities, but I doubt that you will find sashimi on the menu in other than a few specialty Japanese restaurants in HCMC.  Vietnamese seem to prefer their fish cooked or in some cases a little overcooked.  Of course you can buy whole tuna and make your own sashimi at home.

workplacestars wrote:

I purchase soy sauce via Ebay in multiple liters quanties.

I hope you are watching your blood pressure.   wink.png  Kikkoman has a low sodium version now.  I recommend it as the flavor is actually enhanced because it is not overcome by the saltiness.

workplacestars wrote:

Can't do without coffee and consume alcohol maybe once every several months in moderation.

Plenty of both at cheap prices in Vietnam.

workplacestars wrote:

My company name is Workplace Stars (workplacestars.com) and is an internet-based employee engagement measurement company.

As long as you receive all your income outside the country (deposits to bank accounts in your home country,) it sounds like you can avoid all the hassle of registering your company in Vietnam .  You also can just stay on a series of tourist visas and avoid the hassle of work permits and TRC's.  If you want to advise Vietnamese companies (and think you can get past the language barriers,) things could be a little more complicated.

workplacestars
THIGV wrote:
workplacestars wrote:

Sashimi is my fav food.

Vietnam has plenty of good quality seafood, especially in the coastal cities, but I doubt that you will find sashimi on the menu in other than a few specialty Japanese restaurants in HCMC.  Vietnamese seem to prefer their fish cooked or in some cases a little overcooked.  Of course you can buy whole tuna and make your own sashimi at home.

workplacestars wrote:

I purchase soy sauce via Ebay in multiple liters quanties.

I hope you are watching your blood pressure.   wink.png  Kikkoman has a low sodium version now.  I recommend it as the flavor is actually enhanced because it is not overcome by the saltiness.

workplacestars wrote:

Plenty of both at cheap prices in Vietnam.

workplacestars wrote:

My company name is Workplace Stars (workplacestars.com) and is an internet-based employee engagement measurement company.

As long as you receive all your income outside the country (deposits to bank accounts in your home country,) it sounds like you can avoid all the hassle of registering your company in Vietnam .  You also can just stay on a series of tourist visas and avoid the hassle of work permits and TRC's.  If you want to advise Vietnamese companies (and think you can get past the language barriers,) things could be a little more complicated.

Some valued information above THIGV!  Pardon this disconnected reply, still working on being able to chop the quotes up into bite-size chunks like you. As for raw fish, Quy Nhon city offers a sushi restaurant (Nam Sushi). Guess Vietnam is becoming cosmopolitan?  So here I am talkin sushi jive and at the same time acknowledge that one of the reasons WHY I want to get out of New York is to go back to the future.

Thanks to both maternal and fraternal family history of moderate hypertension only GREEN low sodium, my friend. The full-on Kikkoman is a kick if alternative green is not available. As a good friend reminds me: everything in moderation, including moderation.

Ah, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee beckons...the pleasure awaits...and no doubt a few "cheap" beers will cheer the New Year.

Your response about my business and maintaining my USA based checking accounts is key intelligence. With gratitude for the conversations between members of this community, I've opened a Schwab investor checking account + fantastic debit card privileges in addition to my other business accounts. Schwab requires a minimum balance of $250K to open a business banking account.

In regard to tourist visa renewal, do you have any thoughts (sans crystal ball) about any future changes the government might make to this policy - either more liberal or conservative? It seems only a matter of time before VN will implement a similar minimum investment required for expats as has TH.

During my trip and after I want to meet young entrepreneurs who have a passion for the people-profit connection with organisations and who would be open to help grow and take over my company. Any ideas or suggestions you have would be appreciated.

gobot

Soy sauce: Japan
Fish sauce: Vietnam
No retirement visas yet for Vietnam, as has Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines.
Google "facebook vietnam visa agent" for 1 year business visas, you don't have to have a business, there is a loophole served by visa agents.

workplacestars
gobot wrote:

Soy sauce: Japan
Fish sauce: Vietnam
No retirement visas yet for Vietnam, as has Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines.
Google "facebook vietnam visa agent" for 1 year business visas, you don't have to have a business, there is a loophole served by visa agents.

Both are good to know, especially the 1-year visa. About getting "sauced," I will discover for myself in a few weeks, yet I'm curious if fish sauce tastes more like the Japanese or Chinese blends? Wonder what the primary influencers are would cause a government to change visa policy, either loosening or tightening? Macroeconomic capital attraction ($$$$) might be one; and, of course, the need for social harmony and stability are core values in many SEA countries.

THIGV

Americans missed out on what would have been a major loosener of visa policy when our country backed out of the TPP.

vptd

Vung Tao:
Negatives:  is an absolute nightmare come Tet (New Year) simply because it is the closest beach and holiday style area to Saigon (only 2 hours away). It fills up with thousands and thousands of people from Saigon and other areas looking to enjoy the New Year festivities etc. I used to avoid the place every Tet. VT becomes one big rubbish tip, the beaches are just disgusting with all manner of rubbish and the smell of urine (which seems to attract the rats) on the foreshore is well best avoided.
Positives: For me when Tet is not around VT is an awesome place The local people of VT are really nice people and happy to chat with you.

Da Nang: Negatives: Sadly DN  still carries a huge health risk as it was the main storage centre for Agent Orange. The ground is saturated from seepage. The Americans are involved in cleaning it up, so best choose wisely where you live, check what food and water you eat and drink.
Positives:
Beautiful place, great people.

Hope my view (somewhat different to most) is of use to you. I personally love VN and hold Temporary Citizenship of this amazing country (lived there for many years and heading back there soon once we get a few things sorted out for my wife here in Aussie.

Hope all goes well for youCheers
Bazza

THIGV
vptd wrote:

I personally love VN and hold Temporary Citizenship of this amazing country (lived there for many years and heading back there soon once we get a few things sorted out for my wife here in Aussie.

As far as I know there is no such thing as "Temporary Citizenship" in any country let alone Vietnam which has very stringent rules on granting citizenship to foreigners under quite limited circumstances.  Could you have had a temporary mental slip and exchanged the word citizenship for residency?

workplacestars
vptd wrote:

Vung Tao:
Negatives:  is an absolute nightmare come Tet (New Year) simply because it is the closest beach and holiday style area to Saigon (only 2 hours away). It fills up with thousands and thousands of people from Saigon and other areas looking to enjoy the New Year festivities etc. I used to avoid the place every Tet. VT becomes one big rubbish tip, the beaches are just disgusting with all manner of rubbish and the smell of urine (which seems to attract the rats) on the foreshore is well best avoided.
Positives: For me when Tet is not around VT is an awesome place The local people of VT are really nice people and happy to chat with you.

Da Nang: Negatives: Sadly DN  still carries a huge health risk as it was the main storage centre for Agent Orange. The ground is saturated from seepage. The Americans are involved in cleaning it up, so best choose wisely where you live, check what food and water you eat and drink.
Positives:
Beautiful place, great people.

Hope my view (somewhat different to most) is of use to you. I personally love VN and hold Temporary Citizenship of this amazing country (lived there for many years and heading back there soon once we get a few things sorted out for my wife here in Aussie.

Hope all goes well for youCheers
Bazza

Whew, thank goodness my trip was intentionally scheduled for January prior to Tet. Bazza, from your reporting it seems at least for some areas within Vietnam Tet is still "offensive."

Few mentions in any Vietnam expat community I monitor about the toxic risk in Danang, so appreciate the heads up. The question is how does one realistically deal with such a risk on a day-to-day basis? Is there a statistical increase in cancer rates in the Danang region? Is it safe to eat cooked and uncooked vegetables?

FYI or TMI, my first job out of college was HR manager for Monsanto at the John F. Queeny plant in St. Louis. As a Vietnam era vet who toured in the UK I'm discomfited by this tragic and lingering contamination.

Have you ever been to Quy Nhon?

THIGV
workplacestars wrote:

Few mentions in any Vietnam expat community I monitor about the toxic risk in Danang, so appreciate the heads up. The question is how does one realistically deal with such a risk on a day-to-day basis? Is there a statistical increase in cancer rates in the Danang region? Is it safe to eat cooked and uncooked vegetables?

I set out to find a unitary source of information but found it scattered over several locations.  The general picture is that Vietnam as a whole has a lower than world average for cancer onset incidence (all types.)  On the other hand, cancer death rates are well above average.  This of course reflects a  lack of early detection and treatment.  Rates of breast cancer in particular seem higher than world averages.  I know that does not answer your questions about Da Nang but it does reflect that the situation may not be as bad as it would appear at first.  Don't go digging up dirt around the airport and you should be OK.

I confess to not being knowledgeable in that area but it seems to me that cooking would not alter the cancer risk for eating chemically contaminated vegetables, if they actually are so.  Cooking kills bacteria which is not the issue.

OceanBeach92107
workplacestars wrote:
vptd wrote:

Vung Tao:

Whew, thank goodness my trip was intentionally scheduled for January prior to Tet. Bazza, from your reporting it seems at least for some areas within Vietnam Tet is still "offensive."

I'm not Vietnamese, and I didn't serve here in 1968, but I find your flippant remark offensive.

It fails to honor either the living traditions of your soon-to-be host country or the memories of your fallen fellow countrymen.

sad.png

OceanBeach92107
THIGV wrote:

I set out to find a unitary source of information but found it scattered over several locations.

Maybe this is a good jumping-off place for info:

http://vava.org.vn/tin-tuc/hoi-thao-quo … ruong.html

michaellieptourists

Just a bit stunned, was aware of Agent Orange but didn’t know that certain places are still severely contaminated.
Da nang doesn’t sound too good in spite of the supposed cleanup. After all these years of contamination, water levels, farming of all types, what levels and where would be considered reasonably safe...
Not a lot of information about Saigon except contamination in and around the airport, anybody know anymore?
Mike

vptd

Correct and thanks for letting  me know I inadvertently put the incorrect info, it should have been Temporary Resident...not Temporary Citizen...lol..
Cheers
Baz

vptd

Some info regarding AO in Da Nang:

In most countries dioxin levels must not exceed 1,000 ppt (parts per trillion) in soil. Industrialised nations have much lower levels of dioxin contamination in soil, on average, less than 12 ppt.
In Da Nang dioxin levels are found up to 365,000 ppt. So Da nang has still a lot of hard work to be done to clean up the AO.

I have met children and parents that have never stood foot on a battle field in VN yet they suffer from the horrors of AO. This same effect still occurs in children born in the USA and Australia as we speak simply because their (now) grandfathers served in Vietnam. It is a most wretched man made catastrophe that will go on for millenniums.

I lived in Saigon for 4 years and the only real worry regarding any unusual levels was Pollution, not AO. Annually (round about October) I suffered from diagnosed 'Pollution Poisoning'. A slight change on how I got around daily minimised the problem. I now wear a full face (Aussie) Helmet when riding my motor bike (which I spent a lot of time on as I am a teacher and being a teacher its not unusual to go to two or more places to teach each day). Mind you as each year went by my body did build up a tolerance to PP.

Hope my info is of use to you.
Cheers
Bazza

GuestPoster0147
vptd wrote:

It fills up with thousands and thousands of people from Saigon ...

But Saigon is refreshingly empty during Tet.

I was last year during the Tet holidays in Thao Dien in D2.
It was near deserted.

Also D1 was not crowded as usual. It was more or less quite in the daytime.

Ciambella
vptd wrote:

Vung Tao:
I used to avoid the place every Tet. VT becomes one big rubbish tip, the beaches are just disgusting with all manner of rubbish and the smell of urine (which seems to attract the rats) on the foreshore is well best avoided.

Just curious, when was the very last Tet week during which time you experienced the "disgusting beaches with all manner of rubbish and the smell of urine"?

As we live within walking distance of several beaches, we switch our daily walk from one beach to another so we would cover as many beaches as possible each week -- the weekend-tourist Back Beach, the restored Front Beach, the pristine O Quan Beach, and the tranquil Pineapple Beach are the ones we see most often.

Aside from the wall-to-wall people on Back Beach and Front Beach (the smaller beaches stayed quiet), we didn't see anything offensive during the previous Tet, although we witnessed police arresting 4 groups of litter bugs on Back Beach.

Jim-Minh
vptd wrote:

Some info regarding AO in Da Nang:

In most countries dioxin levels must not exceed 1,000 ppt (parts per trillion) in soil. Industrialised nations have much lower levels of dioxin contamination in soil, on average, less than 12 ppt.
In Da Nang dioxin levels are found up to 365,000 ppt. So Da nang has still a lot of hard work to be done to clean up the AO.

Progress is being made on Dioxin remediation.

Dioxin contamination in Da Nang more serious than expected: conference

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/dioxi … 35609.html

THIGV
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
THIGV wrote:

I set out to find a unitary source of information but found it scattered over several locations.

Maybe this is a good jumping-off place for info:

http://vava.org.vn/tin-tuc/hoi-thao-quo … ruong.html

I wasn't searhing for information on Agent Orange.  I was looking for information on cancer rates generally.  I couldn't find anything specific to Da Nang but it seems that Vietnamese national rates are not outside the norm and maybe a little below world averages.  This is despite the exceptionally high rate of smoking among males.

It is also important to remember that AO is what is called a point source of pollution as opposed to a non-point source like air or water pollution.  You can make efforts to avoid contaminated sites but you can't avoid air pollution in HCMC and I assume Hanoi.  You also can't avoid contamination of drinking water wells in those cities that are close to contaminated rivers.  The distinction could actually make Da Nang safer from a cancer probability perspective than the two larger cities.

workplacestars
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
workplacestars wrote:
vptd wrote:

Vung Tao:

I'm not Vietnamese, and I didn't serve here in 1968, but I find your flippant remark offensive.

It fails to honor either the living traditions of your soon-to-be host country or the memories of your fallen fellow countrymen.

sad.png

My genuine heartfelt apologies to anyone and everyone who might have taken offense to my reply about urine-soaked beaches in VT during Tet.

Language and respect are important to me, yet so is having a sense of humor. My company offers an employee engagement survey company translated into multiple languages, including Arabic. I get it.

In America, a politically correct (PC) culture hangs over our daily lives like a dark cloud. This is particularly the case on both coasts, especially true of California and New York (current residence). Any comment made at any time can trigger a response of outrage, offensiveness, and accusation of micro-aggression by another person. Sadly, this trend has throttled our ability to have normal and legitimate debate/conversation and to engage in victimless humor. It is like walking on eggshells, and it is no fun by far.

To all the USA "snowflakes" who look for any petty reason to express outrage and assert moral superiority, I offer a bended knee, and the middle finger of defiance.

OceanBeach92107
workplacestars wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
workplacestars wrote:

sad.png

My genuine heartfelt apologies to anyone and everyone who might have taken offense to my reply about urine-soaked beaches in VT during Tet.

Language and respect are important to me, yet so is having a sense of humor. My company offers an employee engagement survey company translated into multiple languages, including Arabic. I get it.

In America, a politically correct (PC) culture hangs over our daily lives like a dark cloud. This is particularly the case on both coasts, especially true of California and New York (current residence). Any comment made at any time can trigger a response of outrage, offensiveness, and accusation of micro-aggression by another person. Sadly, this trend has throttled our ability to have normal and legitimate debate/conversation and to engage in victimless humor. It is like walking on eggshells, and it is no fun by far.

To all the USA "snowflakes" who look for any petty reason to express outrage and assert moral superiority, I offer a bended knee, and the middle finger of defiance.

And...

workplacestars wrote:

From where I grew up in Nebraska manners and respect mean something

workplacestars
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
workplacestars wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

sad.png

And...

workplacestars wrote:

and...

Yes, it is true "manners and respect mean something" to me.

Being an American citizen in good standing, an honorably discharged veteran and a lifetime member of the DAV, respect is being lived. Having the portraits hanging of both parents who served as Commandants for the Lincoln, NE Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Chapter, respect is memorialized.

I genuinely have great admiration and appreciation for the information and insights you so generously share in this forum. My reaction is to your sarcastic and caustic retorts, my perception of course. So please consider getting off your arrogant, bullying high horse and stop the pedantic lecturing. In addition, I would love to meet you for coffee (my treat) in Da Nang. After all, friends are those people who can agree and disagree agreeably top.png. In the spirit of Ali G RESPECT brother cool.png

kconradbh

I'm from California. Between the fires, earthquakes and cost of living I think I am better off risking a typhoon.

workplacestars
kconradbh wrote:

I'm from California. Between the fires, earthquakes and cost of living I think I am better off risking a typhoon.

Having graduated from high school in the Marysville-Yuba City area, lived in Culver City and Santa Monica and lots of project work in Silicon Valley, I totally agree with your assessment...California...welp...used to be California. Typhoon = Hurricane...how do coastal residents deal with a MAJOR typhoon? Do they temporarily relocate inland or shelter in place - hoping for the best and coping with the rest?

Bazza139

Welcome to your new mindset.   Compare it to your Western one.

You might begin with reading Vietnam history..?   It will help.

I don't know about (hoping?)   ..what is that..?   (their mindset!)

..but coping..?   Yes, World Champions.

They ignore the trivia we get frantic about.   If there is a problem..?

..they just do it...   ..without worrying...

You will see this every day, in so many ways

Enjoy your new life     top.png

workplacestars
Bazza139 wrote:

Welcome to your new mindset.   Compare it to your Western one.

You might begin with reading Vietnam history..?   It will help.

I don't know about (hoping?)   ..what is that..?   (their mindset!)

..but coping..?   Yes, World Champions.

They ignore the trivia we get frantic about.   If there is a problem..?

..they just do it...   ..without worrying...

You will see this every day, in so many ways

Enjoy your new life     top.png

👌 Wise words about being in the moment and going with the flow. Looking forward to relearning that it's easier to ride a horse in the direction its going. And, as an evolving history buff I relish the idea of emerging myself Vietnamese history.

THIGV
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
workplacestars wrote:

sad.png

I think that the point that both of you miss is that for Vietnamese, the Tet holiday is a tradition that goes back for time immemorial, or in reality perhaps to about the 3rd century BCE when Vietnam was first formed.  The invasion of 1968 was a minor aberration in that long tradition, one of over two thousand Tet holidays.

My favorite Tet memory is of the festival at the middle school where I did most of my teaching.  There was a large banner over the stage.  When I asked him, the basketball coach who was seated next to me leaned over and told me rather irreverently (but quietly) that it meant that the Communist Party brings the New Year but that he was pretty sure that the New Year would still come if there was no Party.  I think this story illustrates how timeless and unaffected by current circumstances the holiday is for Vietnamese people.

Bazza139

I think IF YOU READ THE HISTORY,  (major OR minor) 'aberrations..?

..won't be missed too much...   Pointed or not. 

(Most) humans live long enough to pass on the minor glitches

UXO and Agent Orange help the current crop with memories      blink.gif

Will it affect the future culture?   I doubt; they will cope...

As they have always done...     cool.png

OceanBeach92107
workplacestars wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
workplacestars wrote:

And...

workplacestars wrote:

and...

Yes, it is true "manners and respect mean something" to me.

Being an American citizen in good standing, an honorably discharged veteran and a lifetime member of the DAV, respect is being lived. Having the portraits hanging of both parents who served as Commandants for the Lincoln, NE Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Chapter, respect is memorialized.

I genuinely have great admiration and appreciation for the information and insights you so generously share in this forum. My reaction is to your sarcastic and caustic retorts, my perception of course. So please consider getting off your arrogant, bullying high horse and stop the pedantic lecturing. In addition, I would love to meet you for coffee (my treat) in Da Nang. After all, friends are those people who can agree and disagree agreeably top.png. In the spirit of Ali G RESPECT brother cool.png

I happened back upon this thread today following some of the posts of another forum member.

Bob and I did eventually meet in Quy Nhơn and I'm honored to say he is now one of my best friends in Vietnam.

I am MUCH better at making friends face-to-face... 😉

We sampled the sushi and sashimi at three different spots in Quy Nhơn while having great conversations about myriad subjects. 

We have both Vietnamese and expat friends in common, including a local woman Bob has helped start her own business as a relocation consultant for expats. 

I ended up hiring her for a few jobs (finding housing, translation services, etc) and I felt that the modest fees were well spent.

If anyone is looking to check out Quy Nhơn, send me a private message and I'll help get you connected.

It will be a great bonus if you get to meet Bob...

gobot
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Bob and I did eventually meet in Quy Nhơn and I'm honored to say he is now one of my best friends in Vietnam.

Huh, your post made me read this long old thread all over again. Good thing I made it to the end.
Glad you guys are par.png now!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles