Menu
Expat.com

New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Last activity 13 January 2020 by atrabrecha2015

truemanfamily

Xin Chao everyone

My husband Cam and I packed our bags and boarded our flight from Canada for Vietnam in early January 2019. Cam is working with a Vietnamese non-for-profit Teach for Vietnam working with and supporting young veitnamese professionals teaching English in the local schools of Tay Ninh province.
We have lived abroad twice before in Bangkok and Australia. Well aware of  the stages of culture shock... we enjoy immersing ourselves in a community but finding it challenging with the barrier of communication as we have yet to see or hear another native English speaker in Tay Ninh since we arrived! The smiles and faces are beautiful 😄 we've gotten use to being the celebrities in town as the older generations stare, others Facetime us on their phone at lunch to their family at home and children shout out 'hello' to practise their English once we have passsed by.
Settling in and slowly moving from surviving to thriving,
sandy

wildwildwest

Sounds like an incredible opportunity! smile.png

jirah

How's the food scene in Ha Noi?

Bazza139

jirah wrote:

.     Sadly, you have to be here...
                                                           ..words are not enough...     iagree.gif

(but Tripadvisor reviews give a few clues..?)      happy.gif

OceanBeach92107
jirah wrote:

When I was there in September 2018 (mostly in the Hoàn Kiếm District) these are some of the places I visited more than once (and will visit again on my return):

Favorite "new" spot
Chusa Vietnamese Cuisine
22 Ấu Triệu, Hàng Trống, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội
https://goo.gl/maps/BWfBqbge2Lt

Best place for inexpensive restaurant food with an awesome 2nd floor view of St Joseph Cathedral square
Nhà hàng La Place
6 Ấu Triệu, Hàng Trống, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội
https://goo.gl/maps/LiiKw4o6V9G2

Others...

Bun Cha Dac Kim
1 Hàng Mành, Hàng Gai, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội
https://goo.gl/maps/d9CpLSPsEAR2

Cơm Phở
12 Lý Quốc Sư, Hàng Trống, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội
https://goo.gl/maps/8xz9EJMALyF2

Sắc Huế Restaurant
65 Hàng Trống, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội
https://goo.gl/maps/9GKFiDrj1eL2

Cha ca Tan Tan
https://goo.gl/maps/7razb9pCZY52

Pho Ga 26
26 Lương Văn Can, Hàng Gai, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội
https://goo.gl/maps/zXf92JfrEsN2

I was pleasantly surprised by this place:

American Club Hanoi
19/21 Hai Bà Trưng
Hàng Bài, Hoàn Kiếm
Hà Nội
https://goo.gl/maps/V9mkSuMg4742

The name alone was going to keep me from eating here.

However, British friends took me there for lunch one Sunday, and I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and size of portions, plus the atmosphere.

Roy888

Hi Brad, welcome to VN. I can highly recommend the Vinmec International hospital within the vicinity of Vinhomes apartments.... Very professional 5 star hospital , everybody  speaks  English... Little expensive  if you don't have insurance, but worth it

TonyLutz

Aloha! Tony here...
Have lived on the Big Island of Hawaii for more than 30 years now.
I can sign up for SS in June.
Planned to wait a month or so to make sure those checks are flowing properly.
Then I was planning on an extended trip to Southeast Asia to check out my retirement options.
i am pretty well zeroed in on Thailand and Vietnam.
I have a "friend" in central Thailand.
I understand that the hospitals, medical, and infrastructure is better in Thailand but that it's about 20% cheaper to live in Vietnam.
I am well connected to the Asian community here (mostly Chinese).
I live a fairly modest and simple life back here in the jungle.
I'm thinking the "cultural shock" will not be nearly as bad for me than, say... someone moving over from NY city....?
I'm really trying to find a way to just live over there without living under the constant cloud of uncertainty regarding sinking roots down and the threat of being told to move on. 
Anyway, I continue my search for knowledge and understanding.

Peace
Tony

GuidoVN

I'm, Guido, nee Glenn.  I am American, 56 yo, and have lived in or visited to  50+ countries, and touched 106 countries total.  I speak Italian, Vietnamese, and Spanish fluently.  I speak a piss poor Turkish and Polish.
My hobbies are photography, but most recently aerial video.  I have 5 drones, and use them as best as possible in VN :-)
I work for a Fortune 500 global organization, and  travel extensively.   Netherlands and Germany 1-3-2019 next.
I am captured by VN's beauty, culture, and people.

GuidoVN

Wow, the 'big' island.  You have no idea what ur in for.  I grew up  in Wash DC, NYC was crap (now I love). Caifornia was a bunch of hippies who couldn't tell time (UC Davis). And ur boppin' to VN because?? :-)

tnnguyen006

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I will be moving to Danang with our French bulldog named Doobie in April. We are excited to move there and connect with others.

Any tips or recommendations would be helpful!

THIGV
tnnguyen006 wrote:

Start by whacking your boyfriend on the head and telling him to get his tongue back in his head.   cool.png

Who does he think he is, Mick Jagger?

Ciambella
THIGV wrote:

Love it ! big_smile.png

Senbonzakura
THIGV wrote:
tnnguyen006 wrote:

Start by whacking your boyfriend on the head and telling him to get his tongue back in his head.   cool.png

LOL

sheridan.holland

Hi there,

My name is Sheridan. I am also moving to Vietnam - in August with my boyfriend and our English Bulldog! I would love to chat with you about our upcoming travels!

Jonemarl1958

Hello, my name is Mark, I'm new to the site, I'm wanting to relocate to Ho Chi Minh City it the surrounding area but I have no idea where to begin, hahahaha. I guess my first priority is to be able to find a good job, anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you.

Paul RC

There is a job board here have you looked there?

namoadi

If you live in Nhatrang i think i can help for your business lol smile.png

namoadi

Where do you want to live in Vietname?

OceanBeach92107
Paul RC wrote:

There is also a quote function here, to put comments in context. If you tap the three dots next to any post, the option to quote (and the option to "report") will pop up.

Additionally, within an hour of posting a commit, we can return to our own vomit...I mean, POST...and choose the "edit" option.

Paul RC
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Paul RC wrote:

There is also a quote function here, to put comments in context. If you tap the three dots next to any post, the option to quote (and the option to "report") will pop up.

Additionally, within an hour of posting a commit, we can return to our own vomit...I mean, POST...and choose the "edit" option.

Sorry to offend.....must be boring there huh?

OceanBeach92107
Paul RC wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Paul RC wrote:

Sorry to offend.....must be boring there huh?

Who said I'm offended? 🙂

Just giving friendly guidance to an FNG.

It gets ridiculous here when we can't match a comment with the post it refers to.

But, if you want to belittle my assistance, that's okay.

Perhaps someone else will read my comment and find it helpful.

Jim-Minh

Thank God the tag FNG doesn't carry the risks or connotations here that it once did.

It still carries connotations.

VT_Rita

Hello Everybody,
I am Rita from Hungary and just landed in Da Nang less than a week ago.
We are here with my boyfriend who is Finnish, trying to make it with our 2-people design agency. (Exactly what you expect from a Scandinavian, isn’t is? big_smile.png ) He is the designer, I am the operational staff in every other term. We are looking forward to start here small and see where we are able to develop.
Why Da Nang? Personally, we met in Cambodia then returned to Europe but we feel amazing in South-East Asia. During my travels I fell in love with Vietnam (people, food, nature) and don’t ask why (maybe the combination of beach and the continuous development of the city), but Da Nang caught my attention so I suggested to relocate here.
Why Expat.com? We would like to start getting embedded into local life, meet and make personal and professional connections both with locals and expats. smile.png

Md Sofian

Hello People, Im Sofian, working & living in HCMC since dec 18. still new to this place and still trying to settle down smile.png

ChefLee

Hey i am Chef Kevin
Just moved here in Danang after a few months in Saigon
Cheers

notax2018

Hello.
My name is Lenny, I live been living in Thailand for many years, shorter times in Cambodia and the Philippines so now I plan to make Vietnam my home if it's possible.
So have some concerns about visa option as I m 56 years old, have income from Europe from online marketing etc. Will open a new post and ask a lot of question so I hope I can get some help from you guys, Happy to be here.
Cheers Lenny

Wind543

Hi everybody.
My name is Serge
I am a special force soldier
I was bit i am again
Is anybody want drink coffee with me ?
Do not be afraid. I am nice guy
smile.png

JuanjoSimon

Xin chào.

I'm Juanjo, a spanish guy recently moved to Da Nang. Asia-traveling I met a lovely vietnamese woman and decided to continue my adventure and come back here to settle with her.

I'm looking for a part-time job and will be really greatfull if someone can help me with that. I have experience in the kitchen but wouldn't mind to do something different.

I also have some questions about visa that I'll eventually post in the forum.

Rất vui đựơc gặp bạn

Wind543

Hi Senbonzakura
Not a bad idea . My wife is a certificate teacher and we are doing a research to go to Vietnam for 19/20 school years.
Let’s keep  in touch
If you don’t mind of course smile.png

Senbonzakura
Wind543 wrote:

Hi Senbonzakura
Not a bad idea . My wife is a certificate teacher and we are doing a research to go to Vietnam for 19/20 school years.
Let’s keep  in touch
If you don’t mind of course smile.png

Hi to you both, and thank you. Of course I do not mind, would be nice meeting you both.  Cheers  big_smile.pngsmile.png

edwinjbabiano

My name is Edwin J. Babiano. I am a licensed broker. I have been in real estate in the Philippines for 20 years. In the past, I had worked for several developers as a vice-president. I intend to work in Ho Chi Minh in the field of real estate not necessarily as a manager and with a view of retiring there someday.

I have a lot of questions like:
1) who can hire me? With or without salary, What are commission rates for people like me?
2) Are there laws that will play as a hindrance as far as my selling is concerned?
3) What about work visa and permit?
4) Am I supposed to work with a real estate brokerage firm or directly with a developer?
5) Where do real estate agents in Vietnam usually get their clients?
6) What are the marketing strategies of Broker firms/developers to be able to sell?
7) As I have read a few write-ups on real estate, Vietnam economy and property outlook, I am very interested in working there in real estate. But How?

kareemjojohn

Hi everyone!
I am Karim Tajik, originally from Hunza Pakistan but i live in Saigon.. I work for tourism in Pakistan, Afghnaistan, Tajikistan and Xinjiang Province of China.

juanyanez

Hi.

I would like to know if there is a whatspp group for Vietnam.

I am foreigner and I will be traveling to Vietnam,

Leonardo

namoadi

Hi
Do you want to move to Nhatrang city? We can discuss more details about what you are concerning and i think i can help you smile.png.
Regards
Anna

lirelou

Su nombre se prenuncia en ingles "Hwancho" o "Hwanho"?

Bienvenido a Viet Nam. Ya debes saber que en 1858 la expedición Franco-Española llegó a Danang, donde el ejército imperial los negaron acceso a la ruta hacia Hue. Por lo cual, después de unos meses, los franco-espanoles (eos ultimos en su mayoria Tagalogs de Filipinas) dejaban una fuerza pequeña en Danang para dirigirse a Saigon, cortando la ruta por la cual llegaba el arroz al ejército imperial desplegada en el Centro.

Cuando le toque la oportunidad de visitar la región Mekong, no se olvide que en 1595. cuando la región pertenecía a Camboya, el Rey de España mandó una expedición desde Manila hasta Camboya, subiendo el río Mekong, para apoyar su aliado legítimo en una guerra civil. Los sobrevivientes más tarde saliendo a través del río Bassac que pasa cerca de Can Tho.  En otras palabras, no seria Ud. el primero hispanoparlante descubriendo la región.

Don Joaquín Mañes Postigo ha escrito dos novelas históricas, o mas precisamente dicho, historias novelísticas sobre las dos campañas. "La Quimera de un Reino" sobre Camboya, y "Sueños de Conquista", si por acaso le interesa la historia.

Ciambella

@Lirelou:  Was there a reason you wrote in Spanish on an English forum, in response to a Spanish member who posted in perfect English?  (That is, assuming it's JuanjoSimon to whom you responded even though you didn't quote him or use his name.)

"For better understanding and interaction with the other members, we invite you to post your messages in English. If you want to post in French, we invite you to participate on the French speaking forum; for your posts in Spanish, kindly use the Spanish forum and the Italian speaking forum for your posts in Italian."

Yakultr

Hi everybody 😊

I am considering making the move from Scotland. I was in Vietnam for 3 months in 2015 and I loved it.

I run a travel agency from home. 😊

Where would be the ideal place to start living, in your opinion?

Also, with a 1 year business visa can it be renewed without leaving or is there a longer option once settled?

I'd love to get to know everybody more 😊 and I hope the Internet works well in rentals!

old_new

hi everyone,
I am a new member, just join today.
living in Saigon and find the city has so much things unfold. Accidentally, I got some information about Saigon back in 1960's, and really want to discover the city back at that time. I am looking for friends who are interested and go back to the time with me.

old_new

hi,

I guess you first apply to Vietnam with 1 year business visa, which is good.
About extension without leaving the country, I am not sure about this, as far as I know, now is very difficult. Maybe during the time you are here, the regulations would change. You do have time to prepare.

where to stay? District 2 is best known for foreigners to stay in Saigon.
you have a lot of options there.
District 3 is another nice place as well, depending on where you work, time of commuting everyday should be a thing to consider as well.

good luck

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles