Cheapest cities in Cambodia

Hello everyone,

Budget is an important consideration when moving to Cambodia. Ideally, expats would settle down in a city in Cambodia where the cost of living is low but where they could also enjoy a decent quality of life. Would you be able to give a few tips to someone planning a move to Cambodia by answering the questions below?

What are the cheapest cities in Cambodia?

Why are they cheap? What singles them out as a city where the cost of living is low?

What is the average budget for one person living in these cities?

Is it easy to find a job as an expat in these cities? What is the overall quality of life like?

Are they expat friendly? Would you recommend these cities to someone looking to settle in Cambodia?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

Hello Bhavna.

Very hard to answer as cheap is so personal. What I find cheap another may find expensive.

And as you talk about expats it's not the low budget backpackers destination, but a permanent residence.

A few tips I could give to future low budget expats:

1. Share your accommodation. There are shared apartments or houses available, that lower your monthly rental costs.

2. Cook your own meals. Apart from $2 street food that you don't want to eat every day you can vary your meals by cooking yourself. Ingredients are nearly always affordable, certainly on markets.

3. Rent or buy a bicycle. The cheapest form of transport, together with walking.

These tips go well in whatever city, a cheap city is what you make of it.

Cheers.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Yes I'm no longer a resident, but recently lived three years in Phnom Penh, I know guys who live well on less than 1000usd$ per month and travel in country some, but if can live in the province, which as jo would agree is difficult you can rent a little house in the province 50$ a month maybe a market close,,   Not ideal . But  really cheap and livable is , pp or Batttenbang  , siem reap even cheaper rents than pp. but a lot of tourists  in siem reap , for all around easy living you can't beat pp.  pp has everything, just my opinion

Imho. Well written

"Cheap" is relative depending on one's expectations or requirements. 

I've met people with preconceive ideas about Cambodia's living costs then are baffled that there are $2500/month service apts/condos available. 

My best advice would be to live as much like a local as possible. 

For example, a lot of the locals who aren't from Phnom Penh but are living and working here do a few things. 

They share apartments, buy from local markets, and walk when they can. 

There are ways that a person can do to live comfortable enough here.