Menu
Expat.com

Application for residents permit

Last activity 31 August 2024 by matt4509

matt4509

Thanks so much for this Daisy. Can you recall what forms I need to fill in to apply for residency? I’m guessing I’d need to produce my UK Passport and marriage certificate to prove we are actually married? Sorry to pester you . We’ve been visiting Mauritius now for 26 years and it’s time we started sorting out my documents as we’d eventually like to retire here . Thanks again . Matt

daisymay2

Hi Matt.

Its a few years ago now but just searching through the past threads in forum I came across these old posts of mine:

--------------

I had to get both marriage and birth certificates apostilled here in the UK by the FCO - and they were very quick. Think it cost £30 per document. (sorry lost the receipts) I only contacted the HC in London to ask about what they meant by a morality check - and got no definitive answers.
The Immigration office at Sterling House said one thing and the MRU HC in London another.
No one knew what a "Morality Certificate" was (one of the documents I needed to get) and in the end my local police force in Derbyshire in the UK told me I just needed a certificate from  the Criminal Records Office to say they checked me out on the  Police  National Computer in the UK. (This was accepted with no problems by Immigration.)

I needed a character reference from my husband as well and name of another referee in Mauritius who they could contact if necessary, though I dont think they did contact them.

You may find these FCO links helpful:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati … -mauritiushttps://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

There was another thread, older which detailed the procedure and if I find it I'll post it.

matt4509

Thanks for this Daisy. What does ‘apostled’ mean and what does it involve ? Thank you

daisymay2

See that second link I gave. It means legalized and the link explains how to do that step by step.

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

matt4509

Ah yes, got it now thanks. You’ve been very helpful, I’m going to get this sorted , it all sounds quite straightforward actually . I’d imagine that the ‘morality ‘ certificate would be equivalent to the DBS ( Disclosure and Barring Service ) checks that we have in the uk , which I already have in relation to my current job but I’ll check on that when I get back to England next week .
Thanks ever so much for your help
Cheers
Matt
p.s. are you now in Mauritius or still in England?

daisymay2

Matt good luck. Its all quite simple, its just the thought of getting the paperwork together and all the conflicting advice out there that's the problem.
It took me under 3 months without any hitches.

I'm currently in the UK and its pouring down!

matt4509

Great! Can’t wait to come back to Cornwall next week then 😢

matt4509

Hi Daisy.. Sorry to pester you again.. I’m assuming when I attend the Immigration office with my application and relevant documents, that my wife will need to be with me? It’s just that I may be able to get some time off work to come  back to Mauritius in March/April to sort this out but my wife probably won’t as she will be working .
If we both need to attend , which I suspect to be the case, I’ll have to wait a bit until we can both get Leave together .
Thanks.. Matt

daisymay2

Matt I don't know the answer to that but both my husband and I attended. Given the red tape and bureaucracy in Mauritius I would try for both of you to be there if possible.

matt4509

Hi Daisy, I've dropped you a PM, hope it finds it way to you.
Cheers
Matt

cafeaulait01

Hey guys,

Hope you are all keeping well and safe.

Quick question - would anyone know if the new Residence Permit/Occupation permit policy announced in the budget this year has been implemented?

Many Thanks!

matt4509

Yes I’d like to know this too. Thanks for asking

matt4509

Hi Sablo. I know this post is a year old now, but may i ask a question about being financially able to support myself in MRU. As you'll see in my post a bit further on in this thread, I am applying for Residency next time I visit ( when COVID restrictions are lifted for incoming flights.) My wife and I currently live in the UK but are looking to relocate to MRU soon. She is UK-born, but has full Mauritian Citizenship, Residency, MRU passport, MRU I/D card etc as her parents are Mauritian born and bred.
We have had a joint bank account with MCB for many years now. My UK work pension is paid into my UK bank account, which we then transfer electronically when we need funds in our MCB account when we visit our house in Vacoas.
Do you know if the Immigration office will be satisfied with my UK pay slips which show the pension income, as proof of being able to support us, or will they require documentation from MCB ?
Thanks.

robertcohen1

@Shirl1 it's been 4 mths for me so far I have called but they say still in process will check again mid Sep when it will be 5 mths

matt4509

I’m about to try again for residency for the third time!! I will let you all know how it goes.

matt4509

@robertcohen14months ??

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

All of Mauritius's guide articles