Is home schooling still illegal in Brazil?

Hi all, am looking for some advice. While I understand home schooling is still illegal and was ruled unlawful, would the fact we will only be in Brazil temporarily permit us to home school?
I am English married to a Brazillian. Both our children aged 3 and 6 years were born in England (do not speak much Portuguese sadly)  though have dual nationality.
We are considering staying in Brazil for one year, staying with familiy on and off in Sao Paulo and  travelling around with visits also to Chile/Argentina/Uruguay. As we want to travel for a year, home schooling is the obvious choice and I am working with their current English school, a Montessouri school, for assistance. Their places in school will be kept open for when they return a year later.
Will we still be breaking the law while in Brazil or would we be classed as visitors, thus free to home school?
I would appreciate any advice or information

It is illegal and for 1 year you will be at risk. it will be difficult without friends to speak with for them.
Very tough decision. Search for a school where you will live. Do not take any action without first consulting a Brazilian lawyer who specializes family law and the Estatuto de Crianças e Adolescentes (ECA)

Hi, Victoria,

If you formally bring yourselves to the attention of the education authorities in São Paulo, chances are that they will feel themselves compelled to act, or at least to take notice.   The obvious answer in your situation would be simply not to bring yourselves to their attention.
You'll be in the country temporarily (and sporadically, since you plan to visit neighboring countries), your children are enrolled in a school at home, and that school is signing off on your lesson plans.  Brazilian officialdom loves documentation, so have records of your children's current enrollment,  and the school's signoff on the lesson plans, in case you need it.  You probably won't, though:   Brazil doesn't have truant officers patrolling the streets, searching for kids who should be in school, and aren't.   That's not necessarily a good thing overall, but it works in your favor in this case.
Have a wonderful extended visit!

Thank you. Our children do have friends and family in Brazil as we visit often so I'm not concerned about the social side so much. Looks like the law is changing too on homeschooling and the guidelines proposed are fair so let's hope so. Thank you for your advice.

I will certainly document everything including lessons plans etc well in advance of arrival , its great advice, thank you.  :)
I guess we will be keeping a low profile moving around and I will follow the updates on the latest bill.  I'm very much looking forward to our adventure, but its only possible if we home school.

Should be fine with friends that really helps. As said no one really patrolling the streets.
Enjoy and keep in touch as to how every thing is going. Many will need same help.

This isn't like the US on the 40's were if a child was caught playing hokey, the school warden would send the bogey man to pick the child up. 

Your home schooling, which is practiced in the US, might not be legal, but there won't be anyone to enforce, unless your neighbors are the nosy rosies.

On the other hand, sending the toddlers to school would benefit on language skills, children tend to pick up rather faster on adults on  speaking skills.   

When I was going through elementary grade, my mother actually did a great deal of complementary education.  That's what good parents do. 

Most expats do not send kids to school out of a fear of kids being kidnaped or picking up on bad habits.  That risk can be mitigated with private schools.   

That's part of being an expat, you leave your home country, you deal with the circumstances as they arise.