Menu
Expat.com

Moving possibly to suzhou help please

Last activity 29 November 2022 by MohawkJoe

Rainmanrfm

We are a family of 4 and looking to possibly move there soon. My wife was a job offer down there and myself and children would be on s1 visas. What is life like down there?? Is it hard to adjust?? Cost of living?? Things to do with children?? Please need some help.

Thank you
Ricky

RobinGe

Suzhou is an amazing city to live and to discover, lots of fun and love here.

wakup

I lived in Suzhou for three years. It's full of friendly enough people but the level of English is not very good. Getting to Shanghai is easy, but it involves a patient wait at the local train station and a taxi journey there too. The taxi drives can be chaotic. Make sure you have where you want to go written down on a piece of paper. There's not much to do in the evening, outwith Li Gong Di bar area, and a few other expat spots such as Bookworm, but as you have a family I doubt you will be enjoying the single life. The main employer for expats in Suzhou is XJTLU in the city. Be cautious if this is where her job offer has come from.

VANNROX

China is an enormous nation. Where you live will determine your ability to adjust to China. Since you are from the States, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that China is absolutely NOTHING like the American media says it is like. The bad news is that most Americans (but not all, after all I am an American) have a very difficult time adapting to it.

I have my blog about China that covers many issues and questions that you might have. I suggest you check it out. If you have further questions, you can send me a personal message.

https://metallicman.com/china-related-index/

wakup

I would agree with the above but add that a lot of foreigners in China tend to 'look the other way' to the enormity of the police state, corruption, surveillance and human rights abuses. You only need to take a quick flight to Taiwan to see that China is as close to a modern day 1985 this side of Pyongyang.

Justbrowsing

Hello @Wakup... I'm intrigued at your closing sentence. What is the issue with XJTLU?

TySegurado

Hi there, I know it was a long time ago, but how did you sort the problem? Mu husband was offered a position in Suzhou city, but we are about to refuse since we can not afford the International Schools. All of them cost around 200,000 RBM!!!! Are there other options for foreign children, besides theseexpensive schools? Thank you.

TySegurado

Hi there, could you be more specific about the job at the university? Why should we be cautious, since we are considering accepting an offer?Thanks

El.Gee

@wakup Hi, could you please let me know why a person has to be careful if offered a job at XJTLU? Thanks

MohawkJoe

I taught at World International English learning center for about a year (it's in the New Emerald City walking mall).  But beware, there is a notorious sadistic American-hating police officer in that city that will hound anyone whose paperwork is anything less than perfect.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Suzhou

• Accommodation in Suzhou
    Accommodation in Suzhou

Located in China's Jiangsu province, Suzhou is home to over six million people. The city is often called the ...

• Finding work in Suzhou
    Finding work in Suzhou

Located in Jiangsu province, Suzhou is an important Chinese city. It is just about 100 kilometers away from ...

• Accommodation in Dalian
    Accommodation in Dalian

Dalian is the biggest city in Liaoning province. The city is home to over six million people, many of which are ...

• Accommodation in Chongqing
    Accommodation in Chongqing

Chongqing is an important city in southwest China. It is home to over 30 million people and is considered to be ...

• Accommodation in Tianjin
    Accommodation in Tianjin

Tianjin is a first-tier coastal city in northern China and a busy and crowded metropolis with over 15 million ...

• Buying property in Shanghai
    Buying property in Shanghai

Shanghai has continually appeared close to the top of the list of cities with the most expensive real estate in ...

• Finding work in Shanghai
    Finding work in Shanghai

Shanghai frequently tops the list of the most desirable destinations for expats in China — in no small part ...

• Accommodation in Xiamen
    Accommodation in Xiamen

Xiamen, located in Fujian Province in China, is one of southern China's most picturesque coastal cities and ...

All of Suzhou's guide articles