Menu
Expat.com

Importing Dogs to Mauritius

Last activity 19 November 2019 by NS808

NS808

Dear all,

I recently moved to Mauritius from S Africa and went through the long and protracted process of importing my 2 dogs.  Just at the final hurdles, I was informed by the pet travel agency that the Mauritian Veterinary Service (Ministry of Agri I believe) had recently changed the regulations and now they were only issuing permits for 1 dog per request.
This was an obvious shock as we could not leave one of our dogs behind. It would have meant we did not go through with the move.
I appealed to the Chief Veterinary Doctor and thankfully they agreed that as I was in the process whilst the rules changes, they would allow my permit.

Worth noting for others.

Natalie_Sloane

Hi there
We are looking at taking our two dogs with us to Mauritius. Please can you advise as to where I can find that one dog is allowed per request? Would you advise that two separate requests (one from each person) be sent ? What company did you use to help with sending pets? And, if you don’t mind my asking, what was the cost.
I am just terrified that something goes wrong in the process
Many thanks
Nats

NS808

Hi Natalie,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I am only on the site infrequently.
I am told that the rule has now been revoked. I did have an email showing where the new regulations were, but I cant find it... It is worth checking on their website. I have added the contact details below. Most will speak good English if you need to call them.
Contact Person: Dr. D. MEENOWA
Position: Assistant Director ,
              Livestock and Veterinary
Tel: (230) 454 1016/17
Fax: (230) 464 2210
Email:moa-dvs@govmu.org

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Education in Mauritius
    Education in Mauritius

The Mauritian school system is based on the Anglo-Saxon model and is divided, as is often the case elsewhere, into ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles