American Applying for Dutch Masters Program

Hello, I am an American applying for masters programs at the University of Leiden and the University of Tilburg. Both applications require a personal statement. I want advice on how to approach writing the statement. For an American uni, I would include personal things about myself like my background, how and why I am passionate about this field of study, etc. I have heard that Dutch Universities prefer less sentimental and more academic personal statements. Therefore personal statements should be more like a sample of your academic writing. Is this true? Could someone with experience in the Dutch university system enlighten me? Thanks!

Hello,

In Europe, we are more pragmatic. What you do with your free time do not look at us, what you like either.

What the school wants to understand is why are you crossing the ocean to study? What are you looking for exactly? What will you bring to school? Why should we give you a place for you instead of someone who lives next door? What can guarantee that your academic background is sufficient for you to attend classes without any problem? Why train someone who will go back home? Where is the benefit for the school? Are you ready to learn other languages?

Do not waste your time making lyrical literary writings. Be factual in your arguments.

Thanks for your insight. I take a more pragmatic approach.

Just to add, when I wrote mine (some years ago now), I didn't ask for advice and when I subsequently attended for my face to face interview, was told that my non-pragmatic style was refreshing and made them smile.  Funny enough, I got similar comments at the end and was awarded my diploma.

Thanks!

Cynic wrote:

Just to add, when I wrote mine (some years ago now), I didn't ask for advice and when I subsequently attended for my face to face interview, was told that my non-pragmatic style was refreshing and made them smile.  Funny enough, I got similar comments at the end and was awarded my diploma.

Hi,

A grain of madness in a document works a few times. I did it also in my youth ... :joking::joking:

But it's not because it worked one day that it will work again ... :dumbom: