Menu
Expat.com

Satnav that works well in Cyprus?

Last activity 08 December 2019 by Toon

shotokan101

Hi again - you never know what my next question is going to be do you?

Right - on our first viewing trip to Cyprus - Paphos area only - we hired a car to allow us to basically just drive around to get an idea of the various villages that we had spotted interesting properties advertised.

We got the car hire company to provide a satnav (garmin) but found it pretty useless for getting around and it seemed to constantly "dead end" us pointing into fields from an unfinished Road

Don't know if this was due to outdated maps or what.

So can you nice folks let me know your thoughts on getting a "Useful" satnav for our next visit?

Already own a tomtom so might bring that out next time to see how well it Does but I have heard that getting decent up to date maps for Cyprus can be difficult for some reason?

Thanks

Jim

Toon

I SOLELY USE MY ANDROID PHONE WITH AN APP CALLED MAPS.ME AND IT IS ABSOLUTELY  SUPERB WITH VOICE NAVIGATION TOO, I

t doesnt neeed wifi or internet access it works via GPS it works and is totally free.

even works on the Illegally occupied area of the  Republic of Cyprus....

Graham997

We use Google maps or the Waze app. Both are good and up to date for the whole of Cyprus

shotokan101

Thanks for those suggestions - much appreciated - will check those out  smile.png

Anybody using dedicated GPS units?

Ta

Jim

Toon

Sometimes its good not to have maps and just point the car and see where you end up...   we ve found some little gems of villages and restaurants etc  without knowing that we would end up there,....

shotokan101

Nobody tried the TomTom Maps then? smile.png

Jim

Toon

Cant comment on TomTom but I have been told the Garmin units are not brilliant

Articles to help you in your expat project in Cyprus

All of Cyprus's guide articles