Carpooling in China

Hello everyone,

In order to move around in China, you will have to spend time on the road; for your work commute, to drop your children off at school or for everyday trips. Carpooling could be the right option for you. We would like to know your views on carpooling as a means of transport, and whether it is a practical and cost-effective option.

Is carpooling and cost-sharing common practice in China? What about the regulations in force?

For which types of journey does carpooling seem more suitable in China? How much is the cost of a carpool trip?

Is there an app or other means available to connect people looking to carpool? How do you find other carpoolers?

If you are carpooling in China, what precautions should you take to travel safely?

According to you, what are the advantages and disadvantages of carpooling?

Thank you for sharing your experience,
Diksha

Hello there. Carpooling was common in China a couple of years ago before weird incidents started happening. Nowadays it's not possible to carpool as an expat without the help from a local, or a good knowledge of Chinese. If you're using Didi (Chinese version of Uber) by yourself with limited Chinese communication skills, it is impossible. 2 weeks ago I carpooled to my supplier's factory from Yantai city to Longkou city. That's about 2 hours ride and the cost was 50RMB which is like US$7. My supplier helped me arranging the car to pick me up at the train station, but I am not sure how did he contact them. It was better and just a bit more expensive than waiting for the next train between the two cities which usually runs for about 37RMB and they only have 2 trips a day, hence making the carpool option more attractive.
Taxi services in China are generally affordable (not to say cheap)

Oh one thing I noticed when carpooling was that all customers but me were very beautiful young women. All three in the back of the car seemed to come from different places. Like they were not friends. But I was curious as I noticed all of them were remarkably beautiful, and nice. Made me thing carpooling is becoming safer and safer again, at least in the north of China.

DiDi is most common in Tier1/Tier2 cities. Car sharing is not always easy like DiDi and responsibilities and risks for the car itself are given and for other passengers. To get picked up in Beijing by DiDi - anywhere - is done in 2-15 Minutes. Kids go to school by bus - door to door - from 3 or more kids on it maybe cheaper to hire a driver inclusive car, depending on the "luxury" you want to spend. Shopping without searching for a parking lot saves life time and recently also parking costs or penalties. Heavy/Large duties are always low costs delivered in China and a small shopping bag can be taken to the taxi/DiDi.