New members of the China forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi...
Shifting to Dalian for long term work and looking forward to hooking up with some English speaking people. Interested in picking up some learning of Chinese language....Painting or playing Saxophone.
Any teachers :)

Hi, I am Ayu, I am Indonesian from Bali, in Shanghai since January 2020.
Feel free to contact me.

Hello, I'm Sally, I'm Chinese. I was born in Beijing, but now move to Shanghai. I was studying in the UK and France 4 years.
Hope I can make some new friends in Shanghai.

Hi Sally,

My name is Jason.  I am moving to work in Suzhou early next year with my wife.  Do you know how we can learn Chinese?

Best wishes,

Jason

Hi All,
I'm George from Greece, settled since one month in Dalian with my wife after 10 years work as a senior Airport Expert all over the Middle East.
Regards, GK

JasonE wrote:

Hi Sally,

My name is Jason.  I am moving to work in Suzhou early next year with my wife.  Do you know how we can learn Chinese?

Best wishes,

Jason

Hi, Jason.
Firstly you can  download some Apps(ChineseSkill), learn it online for free in advance, at least  know a few useful phrases. Just  learn  the oral, it's difficult to recognize the word in the beginning.  I was a Chinese teacher, if you have any questions about language ,please feel free to contact me, and after  you come, there are some Chinese language schools or agency you can choose.

Pick up a couple of books on basic Chinese before you come.  Concentrate on speaking and listening.  I wouldn't bother with the reading in the writing Until later on after you've been here for a while,  then you can decide if it's important to you or not.  I recommend the website writtenchinese.com And also have a listen to the podcast.   Two white chicks in China. The two girls that were on the podcast are also working at that website. It's a really good learning website for Chinese. And you can learn a lot from their podcast.

Just remember it's not easy language. I've been here 23 years and I'm still working on it

Hi.  I am moving to China in August.  I would love to know which Chinese apps you recommend in order to learn some useful phrases!  Many thanks, Hattie

Hello All,  I'm from the UK and I'm moving to Haikou, Hainan in August next year to start a teaching job in an international school.  Anyone else in Hainan?  Would love to connect to other people in Hainan or teachers elsewhere in China.

Hi all, I'm Barton from Australia, I've been in Sichuan Province for 3.5 years, moving to Hangzhou soon

Hello Keyes12,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

What are your projects?

Are you going to study or work in Hangzhou?

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Season Greetings to All:
I am from Milton Keynes, UK.
I have been living in Shanghai since 2003.
I run a civil engineering business.
Susan

Hi,
I'm Irene, from the US (and currently there), and I'm an English as a Foreign Language Teacher.  I've got a job offer from a language school in Xi'an.  I've been using Duolingo to get the bare basics of Mandarin.

Hi Matilde,

My name is Jason and I am writing from the UK.  My wife and I have taken a job offer in Suzhou (which is around 30 minutes west of Shanghai by fast train) and will be moving there in early 2021 (Covid permitting!).

We too have had a look at the cost of living in that area and have found apartments to rent in the 'Housing' section here for around 6000 RMB a month.  We will also have a housing allowance which covers this.  We have found this website useful:

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

When you enter Shanghai, you are given this information:

Summary about cost of living in Shanghai, China:

Family of four estimated monthly costs are 1,910.08£ (16,973.86¥) without rent (using our estimator).
A single person estimated monthly costs are 516.70£ (4,591.61¥) without rent.
Cost of living index in Shanghai is 37.84% lower than in London.
Rent in Shanghai is, on average, 44.66% lower than in London.

My wife and I think that we will be able to save because the cost of living is cheaper than the UK, although I would not put my actual salary on this website. 

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Jason

Hi Jason,
Thank you very much for your help!
I really appreciate it.
I asked expat.com to remove my post. Can you still see it?

You are right, I shouldn't have written about potential earnings... I am not even working with the said firm, still have to sort out my visa which might take up to 2 months.

Merry X-mas and a Happy New Year!

Hi Jason
Merry Christmas!
Christina here from  suzhou,I'm local suzhou and just live quite close from XJTLU(half hour drive).

so probably I may offer some help if you need. 
the apartment I recommend is called 星湖公馆(star lake residence)15mins to ride from home to university.  price will be 7-8k monthly.

not sure if you use wechat or not if yes add me on wechat I may easily send you more info and photos etc.  my wechat ID: ***

Christina
Nice Day!

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not share any private details on the forum for your own security
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Christina,

Many thanks and Season's Greetings to you!  I am really interested in settling into Suzhou quickly, so finding the right apartment will be essential.  I just added you on Wechat.

Best wishes,

Jason

Hello and Merry Christmas to all, arrived in GZ on Sep-26

Hi,

I'm in the process of, planning to move to Beijing, or some nice city in China.
My salary is good, average $192,000 rmb a month after tax.
And I only need to work an hour a day, at most, during business days (Monday to Friday exclude holidays.)
But I need to execute orders to US banks, so a reliable VPN or disconnect to the US could be a deal breaker for me.

Nice to meet you all,

OmyGod wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the process of, planning to move to Beijing, or some nice city in China.
My salary is good, average $192,000 rmb a month after tax.
And I only need to work an hour a day, at most, during business days (Monday to Friday exclude holidays.)
But I need to execute orders to US banks, so a reliable VPN or disconnect to the US could be a deal breaker for me.

Nice to meet you all,

Here you are - Fly right over the great firewall of China

https://www.groundcontrol.com/one-touch-flyaway_001.htm

hello, everyone!
I'm a Chinese based in beijing, I also work as a recruiter :) welcome to china!

my English name is Eva

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=915943

Thanks!

Closed