Does a Preschool need to be registered?

Hello, posting to hopefully get some info. A friend of mine from Haiti wants me to go into business with her; she wants to open a daycare. My friend is a lawyer and claims that the business would not need to be registered as it will be run from home. I cannot find anything to support this so wanted to see if anyone has heard of this, as I would like everything to be done properly.

Thanks in advance!

It will need to have a corporation!  You will need.proper insurance etc but as.its not a school won't need licensing as a school.

Your friend will need to have a valid cedula in order.to work in the day care. 

Will you be.living here?  If not, be very careful.

Hello Planner, Thanks for your response. My friend has a cedula and I already live here and am in the residency process. Am I right in understanding that to register as a corporation, we would need a board of directors? If so is there another way as we would want to run the daycare ourselves. Would the best bet be to do this via a lawyer or is the registration/insurance process something one could do easily enough? Thanks again!

No honey,  things have changed.  For an SRL you need two shareholders and they do not need to be equal. 

Setting up a corporation is not easy and getting the insurance in place will be.  First you need the corp, then the corp gets the insurance. That gets the shareholders protected!

I will send you a private message with more info.

Hi there. I don't know the rules, but  I will find out.

I do know you need a corporation and insurance. Let me find out the rest!

We are working on it!

We are still researching. Hang tight!

There are several govt departments involved so we are making sure we have it right! Thanks hon!

Just to add to Planner's comments about opening a corporation.  It's not an easy process, most likely it will take you a year of running around to the right offices and getting signatures and approvals.  Mine was on the more complicated side because it was an Association and a Board of Directors was involved.  However, with the exception of going through the process to gain some understanding, I would not hesitate to pay a lawyer 1-2K USD to get it done... probably cost me that much in gasoline and expenses doing it ourselves...

Opening a corporation is not easy but is done regularly in a month. A non profit is a whole other animal.

As for adopting - forget about adopting here. It is rarely permitted.

Day care centers:  Here is what wee found out

1. you need a correctly set up and registered corporation.
  2. You need a Local with enough space for the toddlers. This local must be approved by “Salud Publica”.
  3. Location MUST have the following:

Working tables for the kids

Chairs

Early Stimulation materials

AC for the rooms

Small beds

Cribs

Baby chairs for eating

Blankets

Very good condition Kitchen and bathrooms (not all locations will be accepted)

Cleaners, fire extinguisher, etc

Washer and dryer.

Staffing  will depend on the number of children present!

All staff must be up to date on vaccines and have no contagious diseases.

I have opened similar  types of businesses before. There is always something "missing" or "additional" needed. If you need help  reach out to me.