What areas of dakar are good to live???

.Please can anyone place these place from good to not so good: Keur  Pikine, Mermoz, Thies ..got these names form the homes for sale pages. thank you

Hi PapaAko. It really depends on what you are looking for, where you going to work and your budget. Road traffic might be really intense here, especially during the rain season, so believe me you do not want to live too far from your workplace.

For me best areas are Point E, Fann Residence, Fenetre Mermoz, Mamelles - there are lots of expatriates, and you are pretty close to everything you might need. You are close to Ngor and Almadies (probably second best options with lots of expatriates living there, restaurants, night clubs, etc) and you are not from Plateau (good and calm administrative district, ministries, banks, offices, lots of expatriates, but no so many things to do). These are also the most expensive areas in terms of the cost.

Yoff, Virage are a bit cheaper but also good. Anything that is close to the ocean is going to deteriorate really fast (especially Virage), so be ready to change your split systems, metal furniture etc every 3-5 years.

Other districts do not gave that much of expatriate presence but are cheaper as well - Colobane, HLM, Medina etc. The level of security decreases as well.

Keur Massar, Thies, Pikine are pretty far from the center and provide affordable prices, the density of population is very high, and these are mostly for the locals. If you choose among those I would look at Thies. Pikine is not really the most secure area.

If you have more questions do not hesitate to ask.***

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed, please register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Great thorough reply, especially the information about living near the water.

Thank you, MyAfric. . One more question, supposing one wants t buy a house, and has the funds necessary. How long will it normally take for the paper work to be completed so he can move in?

Hello,

Well it really depends on the set of documents available. Practice shows that it might take for a week or two. Anyway the owner may let you move in once the contract is signed and the money (or part of it) is paid. Unfortunately, not all the owners have the necessary set of documents and it may take longer to sort everything out.

I'm living in HLM right now, it's true there is very little foreigner here. It is a very lively area for the market but the prices per apartment are lower and it is central. security, well, today I have not had any problem, that does not matter the senegal area that at night I do not usually go alone and in the car I always give security. for me the best area for price and amenities is Mermoz / Mamelles / yof.
Of the best Ngor and almadies but also of the most expensive. Also now it is adapting and selling land on the outskirts, we hope in a few years to go to yenne.
It is difficult to better advise to come see and then each with their needs, you have to be careful with the deceptions.

Please kindly reply messages on your inbox

@MaríaGGB I am new in Dakar and looking for an apartment to rent from 1 October 2022, please assist.

My number is *** and my budget is USD***per month. The apartment must be two bedroom, air-conditioned, fully fitted and have security or safe to stay at.

Moderated by Bhavna 2 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@musafikile i recommend you Ngor ,Almadies,Mermoz, Mamelles...Oakam !

Nice places ,security , close to everything you may need !

Hello everyone,

@Musafikile, could you please drop an advert in the Housing in Dakar section of the website ?

Thanks in advance,

Bhavna

@Aissa Catalina Also Liberte? Sacre coeur and Point A

@PapaAko Mermoz is a good place to live