Menu
Expat.com

Hoping to make the move....

Last activity 01 February 2021 by Ali.Gray

rettobl

Hi,
I'm a teacher currently stuck in Thailand (for obvious reasons) but rapidly becoming disenchanted here. I have great memories of life in Belize and am hoping to get back there soon.

belizefarmer

Hey Teacher,
I just posted an ad for a house to rent and your posting popped up, so saying Hello. 
What area of Belize do you favor and hope to settle in ?
I am in the north, Corozal District for the past 20 years, do farming and construction of small homes. 
Stay safe over there and look forward to meeting you when your feet land in Belize.

TeamMee

Hi, we are also looking to relocate to Belize in a couple of years time. We have narrowed it down to Corozal district - for many reasons, and we would be planning to buy about 5 acres, build our dream house (already designed) and set up an organic homestead and maybe run the occasional retreat there if/when we gain resident status.

crzyboiz

What area are you considering? We are moving, hopefully this summer, to a WONDERFUL community. Self-sufficient, off-grid, people taking care of people. This community does not wait for government assistance. It's in the Cayo District...let me know if you would like to chat.

keatsbelize

We have land already purchased and are setting up a homesteading community there. Healing Roots Homestead. Hit me up on here, Whats app, or facebook.com/HRHBelize.

Cj4liberty

Just starting my research re Belize.  I want to be near, perhaps walking distance to coffee shops and other markets.  Any suggestions of online resources regarding property ownership versus renting would also be helpful.  Looking forward.

Chris

crzyboiz

Where are you considering moving to in Belize?
Obviously different areas will provide you with a different experience.
We are moving the Belize hopefully this summer. We bought some lots in a beautiful community, but there are also places to rent there for those that head out either to visit, or to live while building.
Let me know where your primary area of interest is in moving there and I'll do what I can to help.

Cj4liberty

Some questions on buying land/house.  How difficult is it for an American?  If I wanted to purchase a lot with a view or access to ocean near a city, what am I looking at for prices?

Chris

Cj4liberty

What community are you in or near?

Ali.Gray

I bought a house in Cayo last February, use a Realty Company that handles everything, It is not expensive & they handle everything - receiving a land title does take time. Mine took 4 months, bought house in February, luckily owner was from US so money transferred US bank to US bank. Made things much easier. Land title went to Lands Commission mid-March, there are 10 areas it must go through, COVID-19 hit & everything closed for 2 weeks, I got my title mid-July. My neighbor’s went to Lands Commission mid-January, he got his end of August. There are no mortgages, you can negotiate-govt has just changed parties & investigations are ongoing, use a Realty Company
Ali

Cj4liberty

So it sounds like a lack of mortgage money keeps property prices from skyrocketing.  What is the price range for a home with 2 beds, with or without a little land?

WendyBelize

Have you looked at Caye Caulker? All sandy roads, golf carts n bikes....friendly community. While buying land and having to go through the long process of getting your title, getting approved to build and then doing the actual build...there is a new development on Caye Caulker that has holiday cottages for US$55,000...1 cottage is built now and is available or you can choose your plot in the development and yours is built in around 10 weeks time. I'm here on Caye Caulker now....please message me if you want to chat further

crzyboiz

@cjliberty, it depends on where you are looking to buy, and what kind of community you want to live in. Feel free to message me. We bought about 1 acre of land on the Belizean river and are building in a wonderful community, would be more than happy to talk to you about it if you'd like

Bob schnake

Yes my name is Bob we're planning on moving to Belize very soon also we are waiting on is a Visa to come from China I'm in the US and we are planning to meet at the Airport I would like more information on the houses you were talking about and what the taxes might be on it what what is included with the house and just basic information if you got it I'd really appreciate it thank you very much

Have a great day

Bob

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, contact details should not be posted on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Bob schnake

Yes I was wondering if there was any more information on these homes they're building on Caye Caulker if you would if you have a a real estate agent or anything that might give me information like a like a publication or a bulletin about these homes I would really appreciate getting some more information I thank you so much and I appreciate your help thank you Bob

Ali.Gray

Property prices are very dependent on where you choose to live, size of land lot, size of house, composition of house & whether you live in an expat community or local,

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belize

• Using phones in Belize
    Using phones in Belize

Belize has a national telecommunications company, Belize Telemedia, Limited, and several mobile phone companies ...

• Connecting to the internet in Belize
    Connecting to the internet in Belize

Belize enjoys decent internet coverage. Unfortunately it is slow and expensive. The country has many internet ...

• How to drive in Belize
    How to drive in Belize

In Belize, you can drive with an international driver's license, and you can often drive with a license from ...

• Where's the Beef?
    Where's the Beef?

Before visiting Belize to determine if it was a country we could permanently relocate to, we did an awful lot of ...

• Sports in Belize
    Sports in Belize

Sport has always been a part of Belizean life. Although the country does not have a lot in terms of professional ...

• Banking in Belize
    Banking in Belize

Belize was once known to be a real banking haven, a place where banking secrecy was guaranteed. The situation ...

• Childcare and education in Belize
    Childcare and education in Belize

If you are moving to Belize with your family, you likely have questions about child care and education. There are ...

• Customs in Belize
    Customs in Belize

Every country regulates what can and cannot cross its borders to prevent the spread of disease, adhere to local ...

All of Belize's guide articles