Menu
Expat.com

Why Move From Thailand To Vietnam?

Last activity 16 May 2020 by KruChris

OceanBeach92107

The question arose in the New Members thread as to why a person was choosing to relocate from Thailand to Vietnam, as many people have done in the not-too-distant past before COVID-19 travel restrictions began.

If you've made that move fairly recently, please share your thoughts as to your reasoning.

I've been in close contact with numerous people who've made the move and they all tend to mention the exchange rate and the visa situation (new regulations) as prime reasons.

The Thai Bhat has grown much stronger since the days when you could get over 40 THB for 1 USD:

screenshot_20200505-082147_google.jpg

What used to be a fairly simple and affordable retirement visa option has now been put out of reach for many people by increasing the requirements for monthly income and/or funds on deposit in a Thai bank.

Canman62

I spoke with many in Danang, it was various reasons.
Poor currency exchange
VISA regs,
Keeping $800 k in the bank
Poor air quality
Prices rising( not cheap anymore) and then the scams, trying to bleed every cent from the tourists, from the taxi from the airport. It never ends.
One of the main reasons was the attitude of the Thais towards western people. And people not being treated very well anymore, other than your cash, they just don't seem to want us there anymore.
Ocean, you speak of the US currency, it has been strong, other currencies have been decimated there.
I call it the trifecta, my currency has gone down 25 percent, prices have risen 25 percent, food portions have gone down 25 percent, etc etc etc.
Overall it's just better value in Vietnam, people far friendlier.
They actually seem to want me there, happy to serve me , and I feel wanted.
For the first time tourist, it may not be apparent, but travelling there for 10 years, I have truly seen the demise of Thailand.
I'll never return.

VietCanada

Back when red shirts and yellow shirts were fighting some tourist blogs reported that the Thais weren't as friendly any more.

Anyone I've met here that went to Thailand and came back complained that the wages for teaching were barely enough to cover the rent and basic expenses. There was no money left to have fun.

jayrozzetti23

I think most people will agree that Thailand has been in decline during the last couple decades while Vietnam has been improving.

Vietnam becomes the obvious first choice for those who wish to remain in Southeast Asia when you start looking at the other countries in the region for various reasons such as safety, culture, cost of living, level of development, etc.

However, most people who have lived years in Thailand are genuinely shocked by the contrasts on their first trip to Vietnam.

Yes, VN offers a low cost of living, the mostly friendly people, the same tropical weather, and relative safety, stability and security, but not much else.

If you've made the move, it's something you need to accept. For those who are planning on changing to VN, it is something you must expect.

Best to make a preliminary trip or two to have a look around and try to get used to the place first.

gobot

I moved to Saigon 5 years ago and married. In 2016-2018 we spent 15 months in Bangkok for my wife to go to a very good university. If she could get a job there, we would move back tomorrow.

I like Thailand better.
Standard of living is a step up from Vietnam. In fact one drawback is some streets off Sukhumvit are too modern and clean, feels like being in California, not exotic enough for me!
City transport is a big step up, probably beats all cities in the US. Since we were there, they've added many more lines and stations. Makes it convenient and cheaper to live farther out. Saigon metro - yeah right, waiting.

Bangkok waterfront and water transport is all developed. Beautiful.
Waterfront property in Saigon is derelict with Thao Dien the exception. The canal system is tin shack on sewers, I live near one, reminds me of Manila. Yes there are plans to remove the shacks, someday.

I've grown to like malls; for restaurants and food courts, international grocery stores, shopping, to escape hot weather. Bangkok, hotter than here, has dozens, far more modern than Vietnam. And the discount clothes shopping is unbelievable.

Bangkok has many parks, some huge parks, manicured, trash free. Saigon has a few small parks, not so well maintained because, it is poorer here.
Apartments there are smaller but same $400-$600 price range as urban Saigon. Same with condos in towers, $100k-$150k price range in both cities, again smaller there.

City traffic is heavier in Bangkok, there are too many cars. As Saigon middle class continues to buy cars, it is becoming same same here.
Thai drivers actually obey stoplights and most other road rules. Just feels more like the US on the road, civilized, not the anarchy and shoving here. Yes more get killed on the highways, I blame their fatalistic superstitions trumping personal responsibility.

We wouldn't have to live in Bangkok either. There are lots of beach towns, even islands. I doubt I will ever learn enough Vietnamese language. Thai seemed a little easier to pick up, tones yes, but less Chinese sounds, less yelling. The Thai people we met seemed pleasant enough, we had mostly good experiences, but I would certainly not call it Land of Smiles. Vietnamese are not that different in my experience. You have to break through deflector shields before one will be friendly, at least in Saigon.

I have enough money that exchange rate and retirement visa aren't issues. A TRC married to a Vietnamese in Vietnam is equivalent to the stability of living in a country with a retirement visa. Anyway, life is a journey. I like moving around.  cool.png
Can we get the jets back up, please?

Guest2023
gobot wrote:

I moved to Saigon 5 years ago and married. In 2016-2018 we spent 15 months in Bangkok for my wife to go to a very good university. If she could get a job there, we would move back tomorrow.

I like Thailand better.
Standard of living is a step up from Vietnam. In fact one drawback is some streets off Sukhumvit are too modern and clean, feels like being in California, not exotic enough for me!
City transport is a big step up, probably beats all cities in the US. Since we were there, they've added many more lines and stations. Makes it convenient and cheaper to live farther out. Saigon metro - yeah right, waiting.

Bangkok waterfront and water transport is all developed. Beautiful.
Waterfront property in Saigon is derelict with Thao Dien the exception. The canal system is tin shack on sewers, I live near one, reminds me of Manila. Yes there are plans to remove the shacks, someday.

I've grown to like malls; for restaurants and food courts, international grocery stores, shopping, to escape hot weather. Bangkok, hotter than here, has dozens, far more modern than Vietnam. And the discount clothes shopping is unbelievable.

Bangkok has many parks, some huge parks, manicured, trash free. Saigon has a few small parks, not so well maintained because, it is poorer here.
Apartments there are smaller but same $400-$600 price range as urban Saigon. Same with condos in towers, $100k-$150k price range in both cities, again smaller there.

City traffic is heavier in Bangkok, there are too many cars. As Saigon middle class continues to buy cars, it is becoming same same here.
Thai drivers actually obey stoplights and most other road rules. Just feels more like the US on the road, civilized, not the anarchy and shoving here. Yes more get killed on the highways, I blame their fatalistic superstitions trumping personal responsibility.

We wouldn't have to live in Bangkok either. There are lots of beach towns, even islands. I doubt I will ever learn enough Vietnamese language. Thai seemed a little easier to pick up, tones yes, but less Chinese sounds, less yelling. The Thai people we met seemed pleasant enough, we had mostly good experiences, but I would certainly not call it Land of Smiles. Vietnamese are not that different in my experience. You have to break through deflector shields before one will be friendly, at least in Saigon.

I have enough money that exchange rate and retirement visa aren't issues. A TRC married to a Vietnamese in Vietnam is equivalent to the stability of living in a country with a retirement visa. Anyway, life is a journey. I like moving around.  cool.png
Can we get the jets back up, please?

I concur.

vndreamer

Maybe this is why smile.pnghttps://www.theguardian.com/education/2 … -off-penis

But based on my research into VN marriage and infidelity, you are not going to escape the wrath if you don't change your ways.  smile.png

jayrozzetti23
gobot wrote:

I like Thailand better.

On the surface, Thailand is quite appealing but the deep-rooted ongoing political problems involving the military and monarchy make it an undesirable place to live, for me at least. People often say "it doesn't affect foreigners" but it holds the country back in terms of development and the economy and ruins the mood of the entire nation, and also provides me with a headache I don't need.

You must have gained some awareness of this during your 15 months there.

In VN, you only see tanks at the museum, not on your way to work.

gobot
johnross23 wrote:

On the surface, Thailand is quite appealing but the deep-rooted ongoing political problems involving the military and monarchy make it an undesirable place to live, for me at least. People often say "it doesn't affect foreigners" but it holds the country back in terms of development and the economy and ruins the mood of the entire nation, and also provides me with a headache I don't need.

You must have gained some awareness of this during your 15 months there.

In VN, you only see tanks at the museum, not on your way to work.

I agree Thai politics is a mess, a military dictatorship un-democracy, volatile because the people will actually demonstrate and fight. I think capitalism will trump increasing authoritarianism though. Vietnam is far more stable because the government is so predictable and people don't object except in conversation. Philippines, I would actually fear for my life, and Malaysian govt can't decide whether to respect its citizens or be a caliphate.

jayrozzetti23
gobot wrote:

Philippines, I would actually fear for my life, and Malaysian govt can't decide whether to respect its citizens or be a caliphate.

Meanwhile, in VN, it's sometimes difficult to tell if you're still alive or not.

sleep.png

KruChris

VISA cregulations. thailand doesn't want long-term tourists... J

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles