Buying a car in Bulgaria, then drive it to Hungary.

Hello,

I'd like to buy a camper in Sofia, which is on bulgarian plates. May I ask you about the formalities of having an export plate, insurance etc. to drive it back to Hungary? The seller tells me it can be done by either a purchase contract or with a "power of attorney"....Also, is there a way to check if the seller is legit?

Thanks for taking time to answer, or if this question has been answered somewhere, just let me know the thread!

Hi,

You can drive the Camper to Hungary on Bulgarian plates. It si no problem. Then you can reregister it in Hungary or continue to drive it with its BG plates.
As for the insurance - it it has a valid Third party liability insurance, then everything is o.k. Additionally you can ask for Green card from the insurance company.
Purchase contract is o.k. - this is the normal way. Power of attorney - probably you could do it this way, but better use the first option.

Checking the seller is not what you need in this case. You'd better check the Camper - dose it have all the necessary documents and is it really owned by the seller. This will also be done at the moment of purchase when you go to a public notary to sign the purchase contract. Afterwards it will be checked again by the road police administration.

Wow, many thanks for the quick reply!

So, basically the process is like this:

- Check the car, the car documents, agree the price with the owner
- Go to a public notary to sign the purchase contract
- Go to the road police administration to register the purchase contract
- Then - assume the car has a valid insurance - drive back home.

Am I right, or do I missed anything? How much is the fee for the public notary, and usually who bear's it, the seller or the buyer?

Hello,
I want to purchase an X UK registered van  in Bulgaria and Export/drive  it back to the uk but as it is  a RHD vehicle the owner tells me the police want let him Register it  as its de registerd so without me having to put it on a trailer at a high cost anybody got any answers.

Cheers JC.

JEC 1949 wrote:

Hello,
I want to purchase an X UK registered van  in Bulgaria and Export/drive  it back to the uk but as it is  a RHD vehicle the owner tells me the police want let him Register it  as its de registerd so without me having to put it on a trailer at a high cost anybody got any answers.

Cheers JC.

At the moment you can't do anything due to lockdown.

Yes I know all about the 14 day quarantine but I needed advice on the Export...

You can, of course, register UK cars in Bulgaria!

But there is a cost, and, at the minimum, you have to change the lights over.

If the owner didn't register in Bulgaria, there might be a fault with the paperwork, or maybe he's just a cheapskate and was just driving it around on UK plates without bothering. (I think quite a few folks have done this, but I assume Bulgaria is tightening up now.)

If all the paperwork is in order, you could change the lights over, and pay to get it registered in Bulgaria. This will involve transfer fees, inspection (for the lights), and another inspection (MOT equivalent), and annual tax, vignette, and insurance. It's probably rather expensive, overall, and not worth it to then drive over and re-register (and switch the lights back) in the UK. (Where, if it's not SORN - and it probably isn't - you'll need to go through the faff of re-registering it in the UK.)

If it's on UK plates, you could buy a UK insurance so it's insured, and you could buy road tax online. BUT... the MOT is almost certainly expired, and you can't renew this until you're back in the UK. Therefore, car would be illegal, and insurance would not be valid in case of accident (because of no MOT). Driving it back would therefore be pretty risky. I've never been stopped and asked for my MOT or UK documents, so you might well make it OK... but if you were stopped, I'd guess the penalty might be pretty stiff (depending on whether it's here in Bulgaria, or Germany, or getting off the ferry in UK).

Unless you LOOOOVVVVVEEE this van, you're probably better off looking elsewhere.

Thanks  4 the reply,

The owner  said the traffic police would not let him register it  because its RHD as they have now changed the law for imported  RHD  vehicles ..

I am now looking to buy from a dealer because they can do the legal bit etc  but now looking for a lhd VW..

No problem, 
A) after  contract
B) notary
C) insurance 
D) tax
E) now you  can drive 😊😍❤❤

I bought a Piaggio Hexagon scooter and  so I KNOW the  way  , I did it exactly this  way  !

What costs did you pay for the Notary  etc and are you a resident .

I  am going to ask you something completely different I will be coming over to purchase honey that I have arranged to buy from a producer and my intention was to get a transport company in Bulgaria that goes to the UK to deliver it  but I cant find one that does this route only to Germany  that's why I am going to buy a van and load up and drive back maybe if you are in Bulgaria you could do a bit of research on  my behalf  if it works out I would gladly buy you a few beers when i come over.,

Hi,

Probably finding a transport company is a better idea, and it might cost less, though as far as I know presently the prices for international transport are quite high, because the companies cannot find return loads. I can ask for some possible options for transport to the UK. How many tons is going to be the load and approximate volume ?

On the other hand, since you're going to buy honey, probably it is a good idea to come to Bulgaria, see the honey, take a sample and have it checked at a certified laboratory. Otherwise you face the risk of purchasing honey made in China or honey of a low quality. I have some experience with honey and would strongly advise on checking it before the purchase.

Hi Kristiann,

Thanks for your reply  yes I have found a genuine supplier on BAZAR who has sent me samples of honey and yes I am coming over to meet the guy we have been  in contact for many weeks so I will come over very soon but I need to find a transport company to collect and deliver it back to the UK I was quoted here in the UK from a Bulgarian company £1 a kg but they have bad Feedback my 1st purcase will be  250kg of honey if you can help me it would be most appreciated.

Cheers Jim,.

So YOU  visit  Bulgaria  ? At which time  / month  / day ? Which city  ? So we can meet and speak  better than by typing all the things in the keyboard  . . .
Even by phone I am reachable  , I think you have my number  . . .

Hi Jim,

There are a number of shipping companies, that can do the job. I've checked for TNT - they would deliver 300 kg. to London area(just as an example) for about 300 BGN  (though this price has to be checked again). Another company is  ggbg.bg, I think they have better prices. Worth checking both of these, but there are many others too.

Regs,

Kris

Thanks  kris for your reply and sorry it's a very late reply  I will make some enquiries .

Would you the know the answer to this I am buying a car from a dealer in Sofie and having it Trailered back to the UK but is it possible to put the car  onto Bulgarian Export plates  which you can get for 110€  which lasts for 30days with insurance   is this still possible as the transition period comes to an end in January and the dealer is not sure if I can do this as we have left the EU which like a fool I voted to leave and now wish I could vote again to stay..

Cheers Jim...

Not sure about this. However you can definately buy the car in Bulgaria and put export plates to it. When back to the UK you will see what needs to be done with this.

As for exiting the EU, I would also vote for an exit for BG, because the EU money is bringing tons of corruption to my country. This is not what we need. Better no EU money than uncontrollable imported corruption and all the funds stolen.

Hi Guys,

I am also planning to buy a car registered in Bulgaria from a company but I have some issues since I am not really familiar with the paper work.
I heard different things such us:
-a contract between me as a privat buyer and the seller which is a company should be validated by a notary office
-some other people say that all I need is the invoice from the seller, car document, insurance, vignet and export/transit plates.
Can anyone state what is actually the right way of buying a car from Bulgary and than exported in Europe?

Thank you!