Recommended Pick up truck

Need to buy a pick up truck and would like recommendations. Diesel or petroleum?

Diesel....

Which manufacture would you recommend

Toyota.

First question: What is the purpose for the truck? What is the size?
Are you hauling produce or materials? What's the weight of the load and how far?

Jackson4 wrote:

First question: What is the purpose for the truck? What is the size?
Are you hauling produce or materials? What's the weight of the load and how far?

There goes the clever questions. Like anything, you have to know what you're going to do with something before you can decide upon the best option.

Long distance usually says DERV
Local hopping usually says petrol

But that varies depending upon other factors

Good questions. Will be used for hauling everyday items from Wilcon or moving items between the in-laws house and ours. Nothing really heavy unless we pick up a new fridge or something like that. We are in Carcar so Cebu would be the farthest we would travel.

The described (worse case) trip is 90 minutes on a flat coast road with a light load, the rest sounding like local hopping with light loads.
If the loads are 'dirty', high, or long, Daihatsu have their very nice, very cheap 1300 and 1500 Gran Max pick up trucks but, if small, clean loads,  a gran max van or even a luxio car would work fine and do the job.
I bought a Luxio 5 years ago - Great for travel with a family, but I also used it to move house as even a 3 seat sofa will pop into the back if you whip the seats out. The larger of my fridges had to lay on its side, but that just means it had to sit for 24 hours before I could use it. No big deal.

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated

There's always your CHEAP philippine assembled (surplus) multicab :
Keep your options open & your bank account intact!
It works for me & its CHEAP to maintain!

Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H2_sj8 … ture=share

Mhammond40 wrote:

Need to buy a pick up truck and would like recommendations. Diesel or petroleum?

Hi and welcome to the forum, hope you find some answers here. There has been some good replies that have plenty logic probably from experience here in PH.
We were going to buy a dual cab ute/truck when we moved permanently and top of the line with all the creature comforts etc. Expensive.
We moved our furniture from Manila to San Fernando City 7 years ago, some 6 hours by car. Used a moving company, driver, 3 guys was P12,500, we travelled in the cab with the driver (saved bus fares) and the workers crammed into the back of the truck........ Cheap. A 7 hour trip in the truck each way plus loading and unload, they had a long day and a mid morning arrival back in Manila.
Most things here are delivered free especially big ticket items, even the local hardware and furniture shops deliver free.
We ended up buying a mid size SUV and a Mio, the combo works perfectly as every thing here so far is delivered at no charge.
The SUV is a Haima S5 CTV Noble, PHP 1,080,000 including 3 years reg and 1 year comp insurance, much easier for the better half to get around in (smaller) and saved about PHP 700,000 on a truck with all the bells and whistles that would have been a waste for us. 1 year on we have only clocked up 6,500 Kilometres so the extra cost of a diesel would be wasted for us but as Fred said if you plan to do a lot of touring go for diesel as it's 25% cheaper.

This was only what we did and glad we went this way but everyone has different needs.

BTW given the current climate I probably wouldn't purchase a vehicle from this country again.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

manwonder wrote:

Enjoy...

Ha ha! Very nice. I wouldn´t mind having a trip from house to the market and even to the beach with it. And 2 jumper seats - an extra convenience where you´d put 2 obnoxious friends! For extra long distances, I´d drive a Toyota SUV diesel...

robal

robal wrote:
manwonder wrote:

Enjoy...

Ha ha! Very nice. I wouldn´t mind having a trip from house to the market and even to the beach with it. And 2 jumper seats - an extra convenience where you´d put 2 obnoxious friends! For extra long distances, I´d drive a Toyota SUV diesel...

robal

:D  It does have a v.small 680cc/3 cylinder engine wif a top speed only 50-60km/h....I managed to travel 180km (surigao/santiago & back) in 4hrs flat out (total 9 adults)...No issues either!

Here in Philippines the Isuzu Dmax and Toyota Hilux are generally the most reliable. Some prefer the Ford Ranger which is more powerful and luxurious. I priced the Hilux earlier this year and it was about 1.2m for the mid level 4 x 2 (manual trans). Add 200k for 4 x 4. The Isuzu was about the same. Those are the only two I would personally consider for my end goal to live on the mountain in the province.  Tough, rugged and fuel efficient. City use our Mazda is fine.

I drive a 2019 Nissan Navara 4x2 Crewcab automatic turbodiesel.  Gets about 22mpg in the city, and about 35mpg on a trip.  This is the base version, cloth seats, basic transportation.  The truck has not changed since 2005, just updates and trim changes.  I think they have it about right.

Empty it rides hard, due to rear springs rated for hauling  and towing.  Probably 500 pounds in the bed would smooth it out somewhat.  I have 3 fused vertebrae in my neck, so I am very ride sensitive.

I bought one not long after I first arrived in the Philippines. It was assembled for me and I am the first registered owner in the Philippines. The model year is somewhere between 2008-2012.

I bought a van type not a pickup. The car has done its job for me over the last 18 months or so. On the flat, its 660cc engine performs well even with 12 people and a couple of bags of pig feed in the back. When lightly loaded, it will cruise along at 80km/h with no bother. However, there are few roads here where speeds above 60km is safe. It does struggle a bit on steep inclines. Here on Bohol a 4x4 is essential and I have needed this to get out of situations on several occasions. Haa! If anybody wants one, I'm open to offers. PM me for details.

On the down side. I gave the supplying company an extra 2 weeks to build the car, to ensure good quality. When I collected the car, it looked great. However, it was not long before I discovered that the build quality was very poor. Luckily the engine and drive train are good.

Even though there are hundreds of these things on the road here, Suzuki has never exported them to the Philippines. Here in the provinces, spare parts, including sundries like drive belts, are very difficult to source. Because the cars are made from bits and pieces, Often the only way to identify a part is to take it to the shop for comparison. Having said that, its been a good workhorse and, if you can find thespare parts, they are very inexpensive.

I have recently bought a Mitsubishi Strada as a replacement. Its a low mileage 2013 model with on lady doctor owner. It had never been outside Tagbilaran and has full Mitsubishi service history. I did not want to splash out on a new car because I know there is a very good chance that it will get trashed here. I've not had the car very long but, so far, I'm very pleased. I looked at the Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux, Nissan Navara and Izusu D-Max. All have their pros and cons. Of these, for me, the strada was a good compromise of all features.

Good luck with your choice

Steve

I would suggest if you looking for a used pick up look at a Mazda BT-50 its the same engine and drive train as Ford Ranger and they came with all accesories only difference is they are around 500,000 less in cost new then the Ranger The main reason to buy a used one is that they came with a 3 Year bumper to bumper warranty including free Oil Changes so you Know that it has been well maintained by the dealer you can get a good 3 year old low Mileage unit from 500 - 800K parts and service is not a problem with the others try to see the maintenance book to see if they were serviced most are not as the cost of the oil change is around 10,000 piso so many people do not change the oil in them

Great advice... thank you

Another thought is to make sure there is a dealer of the vehicle reasonably close by, in case service or replacement parts are needed.

To get to the dealer for service here in Ormoc, we have to drive 2-1/2 hours each way before CV19.  Now, that trip would require a 14 day quarantine in Tacloban, then another 14 day quarantine upon our return to Ormoc.  My sister in law purchased the Nissan, so I had no say in the make, but this is something to consider.

Great advice, many thanks

moonunit0103 wrote:

Another thought is to make sure there is a dealer of the vehicle reasonably close by, in case service or replacement parts are needed.

To get to the dealer for service here in Ormoc, we have to drive 2-1/2 hours each way before CV19.  Now, that trip would require a 14 day quarantine in Tacloban, then another 14 day quarantine upon our return to Ormoc.  My sister in law purchased the Nissan, so I had no say in the make, but this is something to consider.

Lucky us we only need to take a 75 minute ride into Ilocos Norte to get to our Nissan dealer.  All the dealers are in Ilocos Norte, so it was our best choice, 15 seater van, two years of no problems.

mugtech wrote:
moonunit0103 wrote:

Lucky us we only need to take a 75 minute ride into Ilocos Norte to get to our Nissan dealer.  All the dealers are in Ilocos Norte, so it was our best choice, 15 seater van, two years of no problems.

Do you have a large family?  Was concerned if I bought a large van, I would be using it more as a taxi and shuttle than for immediate family transportation.

moonunit0103 wrote:

Do you have a large family?  Was concerned if I bought a large van, I would be using it more as a taxi and shuttle than for immediate family transportation.

We have a sister next door who has 6 daughters and a son, on the other side is a brother with 2 sons and two daughters.  These sons and daughters all have children.  We have a nearby nephew who has 2 daughters with children.  We often take trips with at least 15 people, also use the van to haul large supplies of rice or building products.  We allow others to use the van, but they must fill the tank at the end of the day.  It does not get used much when we are out of country.

I will be doing the same thing so will look into getting a van also. Thank you