Menu
Expat.com

Can I open a bank account from abroad?

Last activity 01 July 2020 by birdfather

birdfather

Hello all,

Is it possible to open a Cypriot bank account from abroad? My wife and I are moving to Cyprus this year and we would like to have a bank account waiting when we arrive. It will make moving money easier. We'll need to take several thousand with us for rental deposits, etc.

I've been on various banks' websites but I can't find this information. Only the Bank of Cyprus has replied to my emails and they said I would have to attend an appointment at an International Business Unit. OK, I thought, I'll have a day trip to London. However, it turns out that all of their IBUs are in Cyprus... Not very helpful for me!

If not, I suppose we'll have to carry cash, though I'd rather not.

Toon

I believe you must attend in person.. TBF it doesnt take long to set it up.. and get cards etc  - - just remember to bring evidence of previous accounts etc 

why not get a starling card for each of you whilst you are in UK load them with pounds then exchange to euros with a top rate  and then use that to get cash out atms here without charges.... or maybe revolut but I think starling is a better option for you to have before you leave UK

birdfather

Thanks, Toon. You're helpful as ever! I'll try that instead.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Cyprus

All of Cyprus's guide articles