Menu
Expat.com

Mailing documents between Colombia and Florida

Last activity 18 August 2020 by CanadaDoug

davepero

Hello,

I am new to this site and soon will be new to living in Medellin. I am from Florida and have chosen early retirement.   I found a nice apartment and I'm working with a local real estate attorney on the purchase.  My main question really is just the best way to get documents back and forth between Colombia and United States? I understand there's some companies that specialize in that and then there's always DHL which I understand is pretty reliable and quick. If anyone has any advice,  I would greatly appreciate it.

David

cccmedia

Dear Dave,

Yes, DHL has historically been reliable.

----

Why not rent a place starting out instead of planning to buy?  You can potentially qualify for a longterm visa arrangement without investing more than $30,000.  However, as medellinguru.com has detailed, covid has affected the immigration process and temporarily closed inmigración offices. 

Colombia has been a volatile place even decades after the infamous Pablo .. and situations are exacerbated worldwide during covid.  Anything you would buy in Colombia can probably be rented with a lesser financial and time commitment.

cccmedia

davepero

Thank you for that reply. Yes people are telling me to rent for awhile instead of buying immediately. I only know Poblado so the place that I chose is in Poblado.  But I know that is not the only safe area in all of Medellin. I could certainly get a lot more for my money outside of Poblado.  I do hope they open the borders in September which is what I am hearing right now.

David

cccmedia
davepero wrote:

Thank you for that reply. Yes people are telling me to rent for awhile instead of buying immediately. I only know Poblado so the place that I chose is in Poblado.  But I know that is not the only safe area in all of Medellin. I could certainly get a lot more for my money outside of Poblado.

I love Poblado, Dave, and I think that's a great place for USA Expats, with its health care, restaurants, shopping, landmarks and beauty.  I always stay in Poblado when I am in MDE, including early this year pre-pandemic, and would live in that sector if I moved longterm to the city.  Some call Poblado the Beverly Hills of Colombia.

Your uncertainty about whether to live in Poblado is another reason to rent at your new home when you arrive in the Paisa capital.  You might eventually find another sector where your housing money would go further, but as a newcomer of course you don't know which sector that would be.  You'd need time to explore some.

cccmedia

CanadaDoug

I agree with cccmedia. Take it slow by renting. Relax a while. Check things out at a leisurely pace. You're retired now right?
I spent 4 months checking Colombia out before deciding to rent and settle in Armenia (coffee zone). Now I am happy about my slow pace in the beginning. It paid off big time because it's really great here.
I too like Pablado. Medellin is a great expat target. As for myself, I chose a smaller city because of the pollution issue.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Medellin

All of Medellin's guide articles