Moving to London with 14yr old daughter & 12yr old son - please guide

Heya All,

We lived in London from 2010-2015 previously.

I work in Risk Management & Compliance, my wife in Learning & Development and both of us are hoping to be working. We really enjoy the South West London area and will hopefully be looking for a place in Surrey. I love riding my motorbike, cricket and hockey. My wife loves books, art and desserts. Recommendations for a chocolate mousse places are always welcomed.

I am looking forward to get some guidance and thoughts from the members on the transition back for the kids in as far as schooling is concerned. 

My daughter started grade 9 in September which I believe would be a year prior to O-levels. My son started grade 7 and is in a gifted program (intellectually gifted). Not worried about the baby as we have experienced the primary school benefits in the UK already.

Have any of the members moved with a 14 and 12 year old? Are you able to provide insights on their challenges in moving from the Ontario, Canada curriculum to UK?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Mithu

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I don't think your 2 youngest will have a problem.  However, that's probably not the ideal time to move your daughter into a UK High school; she will have already missed an entire years course work, these courses are designed to help her get the appropriate A levels and then onto Uni.

My gut feeling is that if you have to do this, then nothing I say will affect your decision.  However, if you're doing this just because you fancy a couple of years in London, then wait until your kids education is sorted out, you're not helping them in indulging in this type of thing.

Just my opinion.  I'm assuming that you have your visas sorted out, but if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I'm happy to see this reply as I already have plans to move to England July 2020. At that time my boys will be 4yr old and 11yrs old. I hope that gives me enough time to signed up for September school start. Thoughts?

Christalen wrote:

I'm happy to see this reply as I already have plans to move to England July 2020. At that time my boys will be 4yr old and 11yrs old. I hope that gives me enough time to signed up for September school start. Thoughts?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

If you have children and have aspirations for them to take advantage of higher education anywhere in the world, then it's always best to consider the system in the countries where you are thinking of becoming an Expat.

The one thing that is screwing up things for most people is the COVID pandemic and its effect on all aspects of Education (so both from those receiving and giving).  Children have only been back at school for a couple of weeks; we are still to judge the implications for those currently in the system and those about to enter it.

My thoughts on your question are that the sooner the better but bear in mind that school place allocation is not granted on your wish, but on whether the school has the capacity, some call it a post-code lottery.

Except in Northern Ireland, there is zero provision in the state school system for the intellectually gifted.

Just my opinion.  I'm assuming that you have your visas sorted out, but if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.