Expat.com

New members of the Mauritius forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Last activity 31 December 2021 by Ella67

mon73maas
Beemcee wrote:

Am new here,and want to make friends

Hi are you from Mauritius

Ceresiet

To all the new forumites who recently requested information about Schools in Mauritius, take a look at the threads below on this forum to glean some more information:

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/africa/m … itius.html

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=922888

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=916950

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=918471

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=918807

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=919659

RodW

Hi. Retiring to Mauritius end of the year. Know the island quite well already after many visits over the years. Just researching a few specifics like taking pets.

jumanaayman18

Hello. Can we be friends.

Piyari Prithipal

Hi
My husband,58 years and myself 57 years are retired South African teachers...primary and high school experience.  We have taught for over 30 years each.
We would like to relocate to Mauritius permanently.  Are there teaching job opportunities?
Also seeking TEFL JOBS as we both are qualified for it
Kindly email ***
Thanks
Looking forward to hearing from you soon

Regards
Piyari

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
phiriverom

My name is Veronica phiri from zambia, am a Zambian female aged 30years,  I would like to come to maritius as an intern in the health aspect as a nurse. For me to learn more and gain experience.

sleshmookhram90

Exactly where you want to settle in mauritius exactly

shammikapoor

I would like to settle at Quatre Bornes

Dane Doherty-Bigara

Hi all

I am a South African and Mauritian Citizen currently living and working in SA.

I am seeking a job opportunity in Mauritius in the Architecture / construction Project Management Sector.

I am a Pr. Snr Architectural Technologist by trade and been registered as a professional since 2011.
I have been working in the field of architecture and project management since 2008.

My family and I are going to be emigrating to Mauritius soon and I am hoping to secure a job.
We are wanting to be closer to our Mauritian family and feel we will have a better future for our children in Mauritius.

If anyone can help or advise on any job opportunity that would suit me i would greatly appreciate and help or advise available.

Thank you

Rohit Bartake

Hello 👋
Nice to be here in Mauritius
Doctor In Ayurvedic medicine & Transcendental Mediation Teacher

GuestPoster04023

Hi
I have just moved to Mauritius.
Have started a new real estate business - would appreciate any business my fellow expats could offer me.
You welcome to contact me should want to share my experience with residence, investment options etc. my no is ***
I am a mature single man.
Hope to have some contact soon.

Thanks

Clarry

Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
maria khumalo

Hi I'm from Botswana.

I'm about to complete my degree in International Business & French and exploring prospects around moving to Mauritius but wanted to find out ore about living costs, the lifestyle there etc from anyone who lives there?

Thanks in advance!

weenalda

Hi, I’m in the US and have learned a lot from YouTube videos by Lucy Lehelleix, Bryan discover world, Rolfe’s international, Marc Maurel & Will Tevs. Each presents a different perspective on this beautiful island

Estrella798

Hello!

I'm considering moving from the UK to Mauritius, however, I've never been before! So I'm coming to Mauritius in September for 4 months initially on a tourist visa, to see if it is a place that I want to live. If I like Mauritius the plan is to come back on a premium visa.

For my trip in September, I'm wondering where is the best place to book short-term accommodation for 2-3 months? Is Airbnb the only option for this, or do some estate agents also provide short-term lets?

Thanks,

Estelle

maria khumalo

Hello, I'm a student from Botswana weighing my options still but planning to move to Mauritius upon completion of my studies and hopefully do my masters and work in the beautiful country of Mauritius. I would really love to talk to someone who is willing to help me by giving insight to living costs, job hunting, lifestyle, visas etc

Thank you in advance.

simba1965

Hi Everyone. Myself and my wife are finally scheduled to fly back to Perth, Australia on 19 October 2021. We have a few items of home decor and furniture for sale that are in very good condition in Floreal. I have listed these in the classified section. I also have a Nissan Qashqai 1.2L Dec 2015 with just 47,000 kms for sale but we need to keep it till just before we leave though. I will list this in the car section later on. Please have a look at the items we have for sale in the home section and let us know if anything is of interest to you.

We hope your stay as an Expat in Mauritius is great !   

Thank you.
Sunil Shah

shammikapoor

What is price of Nissan Qashqai 1.2L Dec 2015?

Ceresiet

about Rs 625 000 @ShammiKapoor

follow this link:

https://www.lexpresscars.mu/search-vehi … =2015-2015

Macmac0065

I had another account here which i lost access to so i created a new. Heres my story (again). I had a massive stroke 2014 which left me paralyzed in my left side. I have recovered some, so i can walk very short distances (not fast, not pretty or safe, but at least forward. Will probably continue to make progress & think its realistic to be able to walk reasonably well again, even though not like before stroke, which is not necessarily needed for a good life. Ive been to Mauritius twice. Once 2010, before stroke on a honeymoon & in 2019 on holiday (after stroke). I plan to relocate permanently to Mauritius with my companion Who is healthy & younger than me. A good thing since i wouldnt dare relocating on my own, even though it might be possible. Hoping to get early retirenment & move to Mauritius within the next few 3 to 4 years. Where do you think would be the best area to live for a disabled middleaged man? Im open to any area from beach to the plateau. But since i know my companion wants to live at the beach so i guess the beach it Will be.  She should be well rewarded for making this possible for me & i definitely dont mind living at the beach & i assume well have AC in case it gets too warm for me. At the Coast im considering grand baie, flic en flac, tamarin & mahebourg. Which of these (or any else would you recommend for a person in my situation? I know mauritius is fairly disable friendly overall & i feel safe there with the friendly & helpful People. I found it easier to get around than where i live now (sweden). I accept i cant be so adventorous anymore, but of course i need to be able to get to shops /restaurants easily. Have you ever had a tsunami in mauritius? If so, i guess they would occur on the eastern side due to geological activity in South east asia? Or are these thoughts some thing you think i could completely disregard from. Also a question about cyclons. Are there areas that usually are more affected from them than others & if so which areas. As i understand cyclones do occur on a somewhat reglar basis, but are not usually life threatening, but do cause damage like flood, power shortage etc. Please correct me if im wrong. Big decision & many questions, but i plan to go though with my plans. I survived the stroke & aim to make the best of my second chance. Sorry for long post

pete_m

I found both my lodgings in Mauritius through Booking.com.
I was based in Grand Baie and then Mahebourg.
My 3 months tourist trip got agreeably extended to 6.

Macmac0065

Yes, ill definitely check out flic en flac when ill go on a recon trip feb to march 23. Its definitely on The top of my interest list. Also found a house for a reasonable price to buy there accessible to foreigners (even though it might be wiser to start with renting) . As i understand theres both a nice beach & nice mountainview there & quite close to gorges national park which i really liked

Macmac0065

Might be of big interest to me when i go to Mauritius feb to april 23. Is the house also available for short term rent? I plan to check out places i havent seen yet, but ill probably stay in pereybere & do some physiotherapy with a physiotherapist im in contact with. But ill stay for at least two months (probably longer), & plan to move around in different areas

sdzimpex

Hello. I have been living in Mauritius since 2009. Great place. I wanted to sell my 2 cars. Both are Nissan March year 2013. Anyone interested please email me

tashwilmot

Hi, please share the information with me.  Thank you, Natasha

staravirock510

Namste Dear Medam,
My name is Hemraj, I am a resident of India, I have been working in Mauritius since my very time ***

Thanks

poojasarswat496

Hey I am a Music Teacher in a private reputed organization. I have done graduation in dance ( Indian classical) also. Wants to shift in moritius. Is there any scope?
Regards
Pooja Sarswat

amauremootoopermall

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed on Expat.com, thanks to get registered in the business directory
sandmak2

Hi Clarry,

Nice meeting you here. I would like a chance to chat with you more about the real estate market in Mauritius and explore options to purchase and whether it’s a good idea from an investment perspective for an expat. I’m also considering relocating from from where I currently reside (in the center) when my current lease expires.

Regards,
Sands

Frischmuth Aisha2

Hello my name is Aisha and am from Ghana.
Planning to visit Mauritius by February next year.i believe I will get help from here .

Frischmuth Aisha2

Ok dear thanks

osbornisobel

Thanks for the welcome. i am going to Mauritius 1 October and need a notary near Black River. Anybody know of one?

elkazbarbara0709

Hi all, i am here 2 years now ( i know , i am a let joiner) and am from Croatia , living in East of Mauritius.
It is my 2nd "round " in Mauritius since have lived here 2009 to 2011.  Have Mauritian partner so that helped in settling in , work in hospitality, and in free time assist with animal welfare/foster dogs. Glad to assist anybody with any info if needed

Macmac0065

Agree on that.  All the major vloggers put up very informative videos on Mauritius.  Very good for me who is planning to relocate there in a few years. Ive been to Mauritius a couple of times on holiday (& honeymoon). Im actually thinking about putting up my own channel with a very different angle.  Im a disabled stroke survivor & would love to inspire other disabled people that you should never give up your dreams & hopefully my rehabilitation will get a boost from being able to train all year around.  Thats not possible in Sweden during winter.  Too cold & i get severe muscle tension which affects my ability to walk badly. No meaning to compete with those magnificent vloggers. I cant be as adventurous as them.  Heck,  ill be happy if i can make it to the beach, which might inspire fellow disabled people if i make it. Sorry for long post.  Its not my intention to steal your thread.  Just got so enthusiastic when someone used the same strategy as me.

Busy Bee29

Hi all,
we are German, currently living in Spain and will make Mauritius our new home for retirement by September next year. After working long times overseas all the time and having less of a private time, we are looking forward to start our "new life" on this beautiful island.  After all this Corona time we got aware of that one should cherish every single moment in life. Not to wait for doing things - just DO IT!
And for us Mauritius as a new home it is. smile.png
We hope to find every smallest information which might help us for a "smooth" relocation.

infomclennan

Greetings all!. cheers.png

We are a family from South Africa, currently living in Constantia in the beautiful Western Cape. We are currently applying for my retirement VISA in Mauritius and if my VISA is approved and all goes well, we will  be moving to Mauritius in Jan/Feb of 2022. We have 2 boys, Tristan 11 and Ethan 7. We are bringing our other family member, Ranger our Golden Retriever with us.

We are both excited and little anxious as we do not know really what to expect. We have read a ton of information on Mauritius and so far feel its a place that we should be ale to call home one day.

Thank you for this platform [expat] as we find it very informative and the go-to for advise. All the best and see you soon!   cool.png

VISH01

Hi,
I do have apartments for rent on a short term or long term basis.
They are located in East side of the island.
If you are interested in knowing more, let me know.

Thanks.
Vishaal.

pixiewhyte

Hello, we’re moving in October, we’re in Cape Town at present, but are ex Zimbabweans and have lived in many countries! So looking forward to the warm sea and weather all year round😊 we don’t know where to live😆it all looks so beautiful! I love to hike, and swim and walk a lot, my 21 year old son loves water sports and my husband likes to work😉 we’ll be working in IT , is the internet the same everywhere, we need super fast connection.

sandmak2
maria khumalo wrote:

Hi I'm from Botswana.

I'm about to complete my degree in International Business & French and exploring prospects around moving to Mauritius but wanted to find out ore about living costs, the lifestyle there etc from anyone who lives there?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Maria,

Nice meeting you here! I have lived in Botswana for a short stint and would be excited to meet you if you end up relocating to Mauritius.

To answer your questions. I think it all depends with your perspective. I have lived in a few African countries before relocating to Mauritius and my perspective is formed from my previous experiences. I find Mauritius a bit more expensive than the average southern African countries I have lived in including Botswana. But I think that’s understandable, it’s a tiny island (albeit with population numbers close to those of Botswana) and most things to sustain human livelihood is actually imported onto the island, so things tend to be expensive. Maybe also being a holiday resort drives up costs of things like accommodation and such. But I find services (e.g. internet, water and sanitation, electricity etc) reasonably cheap.

In general the lifestyle is very laid back. If you were coming for retirement to the island, I would say it’s a perfect place for you. Not really sure it’s the best place for a young graduate starting out a career! There’s not much to learn or experience on the island! It’s not hustling and bustling with activity, or events really. Infact within 3months you’ll likely have experienced every tourist and interesting attraction there is on the island and left with nothing to do. But it’s safe and the people are warm and friendly.

Wishing you all the best with your decision making.

Regards,
Sands

Mumbi Nyirongo

Hello my name is Mumbi Nyirongo  29 years of age

In line with above mentioned ,i am hereby a Zambian female  with keen interest currently seeking employment or any form of attachments or internship, I would love to grow, learn ,experience new things and be a part of
your organization in the position having  worked in the same capacity  I find myself to be the right person and ready for a new challenge in my profession.

A quick and high response would be appreciated
Thank you for your time.
Yours Sincerely

ssaib219

live in the north no question... we live in Grand Bay , and can honestly say there can be a temp difference between north and south of anything up to 6-8 degrees . the south is very cold in winter  . north nights in winter are about 24

MYt is best for wi fi  . problem with emtel  its line if sight and they dont have enough mast for demand . we tried them , lasted 2 weeks cancelled speed was rubbish

Reason : Please post your offer in the Housing section.
Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Education in Mauritius
    Education in Mauritius

The Mauritian school system is based on the Anglo-Saxon model and is divided, as is often the case elsewhere, into ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles