Menu
Expat.com

New members of the Tanzania forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Last activity 26 December 2021 by festogoodluck

Julien

Hi all,

Newbie on the Tanzania forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you wink.png

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Tanzania if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Tanja69

Hi there, we currently live in Perth, but are originally from P.E. in South Africa. We emigrated 10 years ago and although life is great and we are happy here, we do miss Africa and are for various reasons considering potentially moving back there. While we absolutely would LOVE to live somewhere on the Garden Route, it does not look as if things in S.A. have improved at all since we left and that the reasons for us leaving there in the first place sadly still remain, which is why we are wondering if Tanzania might be a great alternative. We love living by the sea but also love the African wildlife - going on safaris are still one of our favourite things to do when visiting South Africa and obviously Tanzania has both in abundance.

If there were no travel restrictions in place (and by the looks of it they will still remain for a long time), we could just hop on a plane and have a look at Tanzania ourselves, but that's unfortunately not possible. That's why I am here now, hoping to get some idea of what life is like in Tanzania - in general and compared to South Africa, and just have all the many many questions answered that come when one thinks of moving to another country.... e.g. best areas to live if you want to live in a quiet area as close to the beach as possible, safety aspects to consider - is it much safer than South Africa, can you go to the beach on your own without stressing, Climate? Health Care? How easy is it to get visas to move there? And so on and so forth.....

Thanks.    smile.png

Raypaco

Hello

Thanks for your message!

Tanzania is one of the most coolest country to live and have fun with no restrictions.

Depending on what are your purposes for visiting, getting a visa is not an issue with zero complications as we attract tourisim. There are prenty of place to live along the beach side, there a lot of apartments that can be rented through AirBnB or local middle people.

Its a free country you can go to the beach at your own peacefully no need of extra security, Tanzanians have hospitality and nice to foreigners.

Feel free to come and enjoy the beuty of our country, apart from the beach you can visit Zanzibar and some of the national game reserves, hiking some mountains, sightseeing in Dar es salaam, there are a lot you can do while you are here.

Should you need my support kindly get intouch.

Thanks

Davi Any

Heyya,

give thanks for the nice welcoming!
I'm Any from Germany but live currently in the UK.

I'm planning to relocate to Tanzania asap. Unfortunately it's not that easy at the moment because of the covid regulations in this country.

My four kids (aged from 1-9 years) want to leave Europe and go home to our beloved motherland and live peacefully connected to mother earth...
My dad is from Ghana where I actually wanted to move but due to different circumstances like  for example political reasons Tanzania really caught my eye.
I think the best chance for me to stay any longer than 3 months would finding a job and to get a 12 months business visa!?

I'm in my end 30ies got 2 apprentice ships as a secretary and educater (mainly preschool teacher and after schools club)
The last 3 years I worked as a refugee care worker for the council. My job was equal to the work of a social worker.

I'm paying attention to detail and learn quick I'm opened to any job opportunities. So someone has got any ideas I highly appreciate... (anything to do from home, would suit me aswell)
I'm looking on different websites for jobs but most things I see, bachelor degree is minimum...

So that's my little introduction, I've got lots of expierence and life stories to tell.
Thank you for taking time.
Badaaye

Any

Guest657863

Sister Any,

You have made the right decision - coming to Tanzania. You're warmly welcome!
There are currently many job opportunities, both in the government and the private sector. Since you've previously worked as a secretary and an educator, you may probably get a job sooner than you think.

You could work in schools, refugee organizations, project-based organizations, etc. I don't know which websites did you check, but there are several convenient websites, telegram channels and groups as well as WhatsApp groups - where you'll find a lot of job postings, almost everyday! Feel free to reach out to me for more help.
I'd love to hear your experiences and life stories!

Karibu Tanzania!

Joseph

LingThiau

Hi,

About myself
I am from Austria - not to be confused with Australia. No cangaroos here :-) I am 34 years old, self employed in IT. I had been living abroad before for three years, so I am somewhat aware of the challenges that poses.

Why I want to move abroad?
My country (similar to most European countries) is going through an endless cycle of lockdowns and openings, leaning more and more towards openings. Hotels, restaurants, bars, cafes, entertainment venues, sports facilities, etc. are closed for months without end in sight. It's even difficult to get a haircut nowadays. Even if the lockdown was lifted tomorrow, the outlook is bleek. Not only is there a high chance of an economic downturn once bankrupcy law is reinstated, but more important fear has gripped peoples hearts and minds. People don't even WANT to go outside anymore. Anyone could spread some disease afterall.

The other reasons are the obvious ones. Taxes in my country are confiscatory, the weather is cold (in my area we hardly see the sun during the whole winter), my country is landlocked with no sea-side, etc.

Why Tanzania?
Until last year I had been preparing to move to an Asian country. Due to the various travel restrictions, this has become somewhat impossible.
Tanzania is said to be one of the only countries that had a common sense approach to current challenges. If Tanzania is indeed the right place for me, I don't know yet, but it looks promising.

What am I looking for right now?
I do have a remote job, my client contracts, and some more obligations at home. Therefore I am carfully considering my next steps. My idea is to come for three months first and get a better idea about living in Tanzania.

Therefore ...
- I am unsure if it would be more better to go to Dar-es-Salaam or Zanzibar.
- Another concern is if it is possible to get an internet connection up and running that is fast and reliable enough to have uninterupted online meetings.

Regards,
Ling

Lorenzo Ursano

Hello everybody this is Lorenzo from Italy.
I would like to know more about moving and living in Tanzania.
I am single and have a cat coming with me from Italy.
Still looking fof a destination to choose because on one hand I would love to stay close to the seaside, maybe on an island, while on the other I feel very attracted from the inland areas and their wild nature and environment.
Try to undrest what kind of options I could find in both situations in terms of daily life costs and possible job, or investment, opportunities.
Any advice or indication is very welcome.
Thank you everybody for paying attention to my introduction and reading these lines.
Asante sana.

Mattgreeff

Hi

I'm Matthew from South Africa.

I'm in the tourism industry and looking to work in Tanzania. I've extensive knowledge and experience running a Hotel, Game Lodge and a Lodge. Been also working in Botswana for 7 years.

Had visited Dar Es Salaam and it was a great experience..

Would love to relocate to Tanzania

Leen en Tom

Dear Raypaco,

Thank you for your welcoming message. I’m looking for a plot at the beach of Matemwe but i’m wondering how local people react to dogs. I would love that my (sweet) dog can run freely on the beach. Do you have an idea if this is possible?

Kind regards,
Lee

Witnessa

Hello Lee, it's actually possible, not everyone reacts that way with dogs, but it's really possible here

MelanatedBuddafly

Peace and light to everyone,
I go by the name of Melanated Buddafly and my daughter and I are considering repatriating to  Tanzania hopefully in May 2021. We have never been to the continent so we never visited Tanzania, but after countless months, days and hours of researching and watching youtube videos we have decided that we're going to take a leap of faith and go without visiting. Even though we have decided to take this leap there are some things we are still nervous about and can't truly prepare for until we get there. If anyone can refer or suggest a realtor or a reputable dalalali to assist with housing on a budget and certain areas to consider I'd greatly appreciate it. And any other suggestion for housing accommodations including airbnb will also be appreciated.

ocb84

Hi

My name is cato and im from norway im 37 years old.

My main goal in life is to buy my own farm,but as we all know,land prices anywhere in europe is beyond the limit for normal people.

Have been a farm helper for close to 20 years,part time of course,as my main job over the last 20 years has been construction,building roads and housing estates and other infrastructure projects.
i love to teach others my experiences,both in farming and construction.

i have some friends of friends who used to be farmers in SA,but for political reasons they are not there anymore,and they all have said how impressive africa is and how much potential lies unused.

so this is me smile.png
hope you all are well and safe smile.png

Cato

mselikibinga

Hi Julien,
My name is Mseli,a tanzanian living in Austria.I would like to reply to you and welcoming in Tanzania.
-Accomodation,u don't need to worry about visiting there as accodation willl depend on your budget as Tanzanian i would suggest you to Visit Tanzania it is a very nice place to be.If you need more informations please contact me by [link moderated]

I will assist you with everything you want to know.
Thanks.
Mseli.

JenTheBiologist

Hello everyone and thanks for adding me to this group!

I am from the USA (born and raised), but I left 16 years ago to start my adventure abroad. Now I have lived in 5 different countries, currently in the Dominican Republic.

I am talking with a company at the moment about a possible job in Arusha, and doing a lot of research for moving/ living there in the meantime... it looks amazing!

As my username implies, I am a biologist smile.png I love nature and the outdoors, and conservation is my passion. I share my interests through teaching the younger generations to love this planet as much as I do.

I am looking forward to (hopefully) making Tanzania my next home!

VnsDavnlsn

I have good friends in Tanzania, they are very friendly and kind to the soul!

ollisilli

Olga, from Estonia, 42 yo, planning to relocate to Dar Es Salaam in september. Looking for a job and for a good school fo my son (10). A little dog and a cat are coming too. 😊. I have been in Tanzania twice: this year and 5 years ago, have an idea f how life is there. Jobs i can do: teaching piano, restaurants, hotels, cleaning.

VnsDavnlsn
VnsDavnlsn wrote:

I have good friends in Tanzania, they are very friendly and kind to the soul!

In November 2020, we went on a weeklong safari with our Guide Terry. We visited the national parks Arusha, Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater natureswonderlandsafaris. It was an absolutely incredible safari! We saw so many kinds of animals and in large numbers such as wildebeest, zebras, and elephants as well as many predators.We just wanted to thank you for an incredible week on safari. We had guide and driver Lazaro and he was just fantastic. We saw everything, learnd a lot, had so much fun and the Kubu Kubu Lodge was great.

Temeke45

You are welcome again

Anowa

Hello,
I want to know more about Tanzania. I am currently studying Pharmacy in Malawi. If anyone can be able to connect me with pharmacists from Tanzania can be great. My wish is to live in Tanzania after I am done with the studies.

chrisstapleton5057

Hi all.

I’m a Canadian moving to Tanzania likely to Mwanza. I welcome all comments about life in Tanzania.  Best places to live, best way to learn Swahili. My wife is Tanzanian so we're a mixed couple so anything on this will be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Chris

Guest657863

Hi,

I am from India, recently shifted to Dar es Salaam, please guide me from where I can buy industrial cake mix and other bakery items.
If I wanna start bakery what all formalities I have to do with government

Guest657863

Best way to learn swahili is google translator and its free also smile.png

Jacob Mrema

Mostly welcome,And will give my friend who is % expert working at muhimbili hospital

Jacob Mrema

Tanzania have plenty production activities,it depends what is ur focus...and will guide you location... perhaps could express what activities then will help you to select

michaelknopf

Greetings and blessings to all!  My name is Michael and just joined tonight. I am curious and interested in learning about Zanzibar from a local expats experience. I live on the ocean at home and operate a charter boat in the waters of the Queen Charolet islands in northern British Columbia. BUT I love everything about ,,,warm waters, good fishing, slower pace, unpretentious human interaction and friendship's. I am wondering if there are any members that might have connections in the fishing charter business in Zanzibar or else ware in Tanzania or just hear in general how a big old Canadian would get along with the local vibe.  THANKS!!  Cant wait to hear from ya!

devisnyagawa

What is your nàtionality and when are  you going to finish your course?

aminanyimbile21

Hi my name is Amina would love to make forgners friends, exchange languages, create job connection (still non empyeed) and am ready to show around for who's not familiar in Tanzania 😊🇹🇿

Lorenzo Ursano

Hello Cato, this is Lorenzo from Italy planning to move away from this nightmare Europe has become in the last year soon. I have read about your plans and background and found them interesting and quite close to mine. Actually I am 41 and unemployed but with a little money saved and some experience as a woodcutter, in cleaning uncultivated land and as a farm worker (mostly in cultivation, maintenance and harvesting of olive trees and wine grapes). I rather prefer to do manual labour instead of working  with mechanical tools and machines in general. I am considering Tanzania as well as other African countries, as Ethiopia for example, for a possibile move and future plans.
If you like to know more or to share informations write me private message.

elaispanzic

Hi guys ! I’m Ela from Argentina! I’m an agronomist but been working as a flight attendant most of my time. I’m a nature and ocean lover so i was considering Zanzibar as a possible place to live. I was stuck for 6 months last year in seychelles during the pandemic and since then I decided that I want to live the island type of life. I never been to zanzi but heard beautiful comments about the island and its people. My idea is to work in hospitality and tourism and would like to know despite of the crisis if there is still chances to find a job?
I’m actually planning to go within a month so any help and job portals would be appreciated
Thanks a lot ☺️

Moving M

Hello everyone,

My husband and I, along with our 2 teenage boys, are moving from Thailand to Tanzania (Morogoro) to work - we're both teachers.
My boys are really keen sports people - football/tennis/golf/swimming.  What are the options for them? Are there any clubs that they can join in/around the area? 
We're very much looking forward to a different way of life.
We're English, but would love to meet up with expats in the area any time from late August onwards.
We can't find much information about Morogoro - getting a house in a good area is important with the children - what would you all advise?
Thanks - we're glad to be part of the group and we are all looking forward to our African adventure!

Fadhilimohamedi

Welcome 😊

samchef1988

I'm also planning to move to Zanzibar next moth, I live in southeast Asia, and i work in the hotel sector as an executive chef, i plan to open small restaurant specializing in Mediterranean and middle eastern cuisine, but this needs some time to get to know the possibilities available from where the good location, area, suppliers, check the market needs there,  how this much with market there,

toniemak3

Thank you.

tanzaniasafariradar

hello welcome to Tanzania, the place is amazing and the people are all together kind, the landscape is just spectacular and you will  find new interesting things everyday. I'm currently living in moshi , a town just two hours away from arusha , for any questions do not hesitate to directly contact me .

Antipas

Hi welcome Tanzania,

But please be specific where you want to stay? If is Arusha or Moshi i will Help!!

Sntipas

Antipas

Hi,

I like your skills ,(Expirience) can you inbox Me?

Your welcome Tanzania

Antipas

Hi Julien!!

Mambo vp? Habar ya Huko? Nafurai kuona unatuwakilisha kama hutojali ibox bas!!

Antipas

Welcome Tanzania!!

If any question please DM

Antipas

Antipas

Wekcome Tanzania!

If you want any thing let me know im not in Morogoro but i have friends There!!

Antipas

boschm2

Good morning Julian

We are from South Africa and will be moving to Tanzania in the next couple of months. I wil be working in the hotel industry in Zanzibar. Would absolutely love to meet more expats as well.

I have the normal questions of where to get the best uncapped data/wifi/internet. Doctors and hospitals as well as pharmacy. Best places to buy fresh produce and food. Hair salon and vets.

Thank you again🤗

Marlene Bosch

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Tanzania

All of Tanzania's guide articles