New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

I've not been to Vietnam yet dear

angeasquare2018 wrote:

Thanks alot for the warm welcome Expats, I am Angel or you can call me Angie, I would like to work in Vietnam

Your profile says you are in Vietnam? which city?
angeasquare2018
Ugandan expat in Vietnam
What work can you do?

Hi Andy thanks for your response! I can do customer service, digital graphics and singing!
Am not living in Vietnam yet though, but seeking to live and work there. Any assistance will be highly appreciated dear. Thanks

angeasquare2018 wrote:

Hi Andy thanks for your response! I can do customer service, digital graphics and singing!
Am not living in Vietnam yet though, but seeking to live and work there. Any assistance will be highly appreciated dear. Thanks

Any qualifications? Here a degree is pretty much mandatory

angeasquare2018 wrote:

Until the country opens the only way here is to be sponsored by a company wanting "experts" they can not find here.

Most are people with degrees in fields Vietnam does not have and the company does the paperwork and visa etc.

Most of the country is in hard lock down at the moment so not many flights in.

There is talk of MAYBE international flights after mid Jan 2022 but its just talk at the moment nothing set in stone.

Hi
I am Ibrahim from Ghana. I was recently motivated by a fellow Ghanaian about work and life in Vietnam. I am here looking for an opportunity to live and work in this beautiful country.

kacheyaa4x wrote:

Hi
I am Ibrahim from Ghana. I was recently motivated by a fellow Ghanaian about work and life in Vietnam. I am here looking for an opportunity to live and work in this beautiful country.

All answered in the post above.

"Until the country opens the only way here is to be sponsored by a company wanting "experts" they can not find here.

Most are people with degrees in fields Vietnam does not have and the company does the paperwork and visa etc.

There is talk of MAYBE international flights after mid Jan 2022 but its just talk at the moment nothing set in stone."

Thanks for the reply.
I have a Diploma in Education and a Bachelors Degree in Agriculture.

kacheyaa4x wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
I have a Diploma in Education and a Bachelors Degree in Agriculture.

There is talk of MAYBE international flights after mid Jan 2022 but its just talk at the moment nothing set in stone."

The first hurdle would be to get a visa..which is very hard to get at the moment.

I can tell from experience:
my employer is a Vietnamese company sponsoring me as an expert.
But even they are struggling to get a visa for me due to the lockdown.

Getting a flight to Vietnam would be the second hurdle :)

Hi Julien,

I am new to the site and forum, so I hope you all excuse my clumsiness.
and Dear all,

I'm new here and would love your tips/help/feedback.

I am potentially moving to Hanoi for work in January, and having done some research, I have come across 2 things that might be 'deal breakers'.
1. I have heard that transferring money internationally can be a problem. I will set up a basic HSBC account and I need to make a monthly payment to the UK. I will have a work contract and the company will be paying my salary into my HSBC Vietnam account. (So not cash). My personal experience is online banking where it is easy to make International transfers.

2. I currently take s prescription drug for Crohn's disease. It's called Mesalamine. I have searched for a definitive answer online, but nothing definite. It seems it will be ok, but I find it difficult to uproot myself, without solid information.

Thank you all so much for your help and advice!
Very much appreciated.
Mitch

GOOD 🌄 MORNING VIETNAM
SOUND OFF!
WHY DO YOU LOVE LIVING IN
VIETNAM???

Andrew A22 wrote:

GOOD 🌄 MORNING VIETNAM
SOUND OFF!
WHY DO YOU LOVE LIVING IN
VIETNAM???

Because all the locals know how to use lowercase?  :lol:
Great people, great food, nice weather when it's not raining.

mitchellvassie wrote:

Hi Julien,

I am new to the site and forum, so I hope you all excuse my clumsiness.
and Dear all,

I'm new here and would love your tips/help/feedback.

I am potentially moving to Hanoi for work in January, and having done some research, I have come across 2 things that might be 'deal breakers'.
1. I have heard that transferring money internationally can be a problem. I will set up a basic HSBC account and I need to make a monthly payment to the UK. I will have a work contract and the company will be paying my salary into my HSBC Vietnam account. (So not cash). My personal experience is online banking where it is easy to make International transfers.

2. I currently take s prescription drug for Crohn's disease. It's called Mesalamine. I have searched for a definitive answer online, but nothing definite. It seems it will be ok, but I find it difficult to uproot myself, without solid information.

Thank you all so much for your help and advice!
Very much appreciated.
Mitch

PM sent

dannycsz wrote:

Hi all,

Singaporean here.. I have been here staying in HCMC for the past 1 year, life's good.

Just have a kid and got married in Vietnam.

@dannycsz
This is Gary, also from Singapore. Hope to touch base with you
Building my network of local Singaporean living in VN

Just PM you. please check. Thanks

Hi everyone
I am Gary, from Singapore. Hope to be arrived at Saigon when its border open to foreigners
Stay safe and take care

Big changes have happened around lockdowns in HCMC, barriers gone and new rules and directives in place.

So far no additional news re international travel has been announced other than MAYBE opening Nha Trang, Da Nang, Ha Long Bay at some time as a pilot scheme, Phu Quoc was supposed to opened but it was delayed.

Only other date that has been talked about was mid-January but ONLY A RUMOUR so nothing firm about tourist travel.

Until they put things in writing as a directive no one knows anything more.

RCP79 wrote:

The first hurdle would be to get a visa..which is very hard to get at the moment.

I can tell from experience:
my employer is a Vietnamese company sponsoring me as an expert.
But even they are struggling to get a visa for me due to the lockdown.

Getting a flight to Vietnam would be the second hurdle :)

Hi RCP79

Understand that you are employed by local Vietnamese company
Dont mind I ask do they pay reasonably well as compared to MNC ?
How about the corporate culture?
Anything else you can share, pls do.

I am asking so because I have been applying for jobs in Vietnam for years (mainly non-Vietnamese companies) so that I can stay closer to my girlfriend, but in vain so far

Thanks. Gary

Hi Gary,

About the salary:
Keep in mind this is Vietnam and all is relative.
For example, 50kUSD a year in the UK is under average and won't bring you far, while most Vietnamese would dream of a salary like that.
(They make rougly 200USD a month)

In my case, compared to my previous 'western' salary I made a consession because I saw this as a huge challenge and opportunity. And also I love the Vietnamese lifestyle.
Though Vietnamese are excellent negotiators .. so maybe more would have been possible :)

About the culture:
Be prepared to work hard. 6 day work weeks are quite normal. The work culture is a little comparable to Japanese. (Though less crazy hours)

Also the mentality.
In my experience Vietnamese are very loyal and strongly task oriented. Sometimes struggling to focus on the bigger picture. But then again...don't we all sometimes :)

Also Vietnamese value relationships most and your word.
If you promise something (even only verbally) be prepared to do it.
The atmosphere in the company I work is really optimistic and friendly. With most people working there long term. (Impressive low attricion rate)
Which I find very important because I don't like switching jobs.

How to find a job? Just keep trying...
Sorry I haven't got any better tips than that.
Though I found the Vietnamworks website really useful.
English can be a serious barrier. Most of them struggle with it...
Just like we struggle speaking Vietnamese :)

And lastly..perhaps needles to say..but if you do find a job:
- Make sure your contract is in English and payment in USD.

Cheers,
Robert

RCP79 wrote:

Hi Gary,

About the salary:
Keep in mind this is Vietnam and all is relative.
For example, 50kUSD a year in the UK is under average and won't bring you far, while most Vietnamese would dream of a salary like that.
(They make rougly 200USD a month)

In my case, compared to my previous 'western' salary I made a consession because I saw this as a huge challenge and opportunity. And also I love the Vietnamese lifestyle.
Though Vietnamese are excellent negotiators .. so maybe more would have been possible :)

About the culture:
Be prepared to work hard. 6 day work weeks are quite normal. The work culture is a little comparable to Japanese. (Though less crazy hours)

Also the mentality.
In my experience Vietnamese are very loyal and strongly task oriented. Sometimes struggling to focus on the bigger picture. But then again...don't we all sometimes :)

Also Vietnamese value relationships most and your word.
If you promise something (even only verbally) be prepared to do it.
The atmosphere in the company I work is really optimistic and friendly. With most people working there long term. (Impressive low attricion rate)
Which I find very important because I don't like switching jobs.

How to find a job? Just keep trying...
Sorry I haven't got any better tips than that.
Though I found the Vietnamworks website really useful.
English can be a serious barrier. Most of them struggle with it...
Just like we struggle speaking Vietnamese :)

And lastly..perhaps needles to say..but if you do find a job:
- Make sure your contract is in English and payment in USD.

Cheers,
Robert

Curious lots of general advice some easily copied and pasted from Google

And you claim to live here and your profile shows you're still in Holland..🤔

On top of which less than three week ago you posted you are still waiting to come to Vietnam which make me suspect you're not as honest as you claim.

Please bear in mind people use this site seeking factual answers from people with real feet on the ground experience

If you're not here please do not pretend to be

Hey Jigarbutt,

Relax, just trying to help Gary with my experiences. There is nothing in it for me.
Please do help in case what I wrote isn't correct.

In the past I spend plenty of time in Vietnam.
But you are right, at the moment due to covid I'm indeed in the Netherlands. And don't think ever said I was in Vietnam now?
I did find a new job in Vietnam and waiting for my work visa.

RCP79 wrote:

Hey Jigarbutt,

Relax, just trying to help Gary with my experiences. There is nothing in it for me.
Please do help in case what I wrote isn't correct.

In the past I spend plenty of time in Vietnam.
But you are right, at the moment due to covid I'm indeed in the Netherlands. And don't think ever said I was in Vietnam now?
I did find a new job in Vietnam and waiting for my work visa.

You understand my concerns about your advice for working life here.. you talk as though you are here working, but you are not.

Hello,

It's nice to meet you. I'm new here, If you don't mind I would like to be your friend and get to know you more better, though

I'm not not very much active here but nevertheless we can still keep in touch by email or whatsApp, please leave me your

email address/whatsApp number or reach me on mine at.
*** and I would be very happy to keep in touch and tell you more about

myself.
I look forward to your response soon,

Regards,
Teodor.

Moderated by Priscilla 2 years ago
Reason : Please do not share any private details on the forum for your own security
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Well..i work with Vietnamese every day.
In the past in real life and remote for the moment.

So I think I know how it is to work with them and believe that was Garry's question.

Happy to catch up over a beer once I'm over to tell you my whole story :)

@teodorberbatov

Hi Very please to meet you,

Please do not put your private contact info on the forum.
If anyone wishes to contact of talk to you direct they can use the Private Message function.

Hi everyone,

I would like to welcome all our new members.

Please note that a few posts have been removed from this thread.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team  :cheers:

[Post under review]

Hi William,

When did you get here and where from? were you sponsored by a company?

MorningSun75 wrote:

G'day to all of you,

my name is William. Just arrived over here...

I need some advice for surviving in this country... What are you dudes doing for a living?

To me it seems kind a difficult - maybe I am wrong... dunno.

Just arrived? How? The orders are closed to anyone that isn't here as an "expert" - if you fit that criteria then life should be easy on a decent salary.

If you are here with no job it would alike maybe you fell fowl of some dodgy visa

I'd be interested to know how

[Post under review]

[Post under review]

MorningSun75 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
MorningSun75 wrote:

G'day to all of you,

my name is William. Just arrived over here...

I need some advice for surviving in this country... What are you dudes doing for a living?

To me it seems kind a difficult - maybe I am wrong... dunno.

Just arrived? How? The orders are closed to anyone that isn't here as an "expert" - if you fit that criteria then life should be easy on a decent salary.

If you are here with no job it would alike maybe you fell fowl of some dodgy visa

Which orders are closed - and for what?

Sorry my bad... Borders are closed. So how did you get here? Legally no job.. no sponsor.. no Visa... No international flights? Are you superman by any chance?

I suspect one of two things... You've been here longer or you're still overseas.

[Post under review]

Jlgarbutt wrote:
MorningSun75 wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Sorry my bad... Borders are closed. So how did you get here? Legally no job.. no sponsor.. no Visa... No international flights? Are you superman by any chance?

I suspect one of two things... You've been here longer or you're still overseas.

Or, the same as Igor or Beaverbrisvegas.

Hi William,

Where did you come from? How did you get here?

colinoscapee wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:
MorningSun75 wrote:

Or, the same as Igor or Beaverbrisvegas.

Different day.. same trolls?

Andybris2020 wrote:

Hi William,

I come from South Africa, directly, by aircraft.

Hi Expat members,

Please dont feed trolls it's what they live on.

MorningSun75 wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:

Hi William,

I come from South Africa, directly, by aircraft.

Yawn zzzz move along nothing to see.

[Post under review]

Closed