Choice of Ecole Maternelle

Dear all,

My name is Danijela and I recently moved to Brussels with my familiy. Since we are new to Brussels we would very much appreciate your possible views on the choice of Ecole Maternelle for our 2.5 years old daughter. We have been offered places at:

- Ecole Sacre Coeur (Stockel)
- Institute Saint-Georges
- Ecole Communale de Stockel.

All schools are walking distance from our new home and they all have their pros et cons. We were able to visit Ecole Sacre Coeur and ECdS, however, due to Covid 19, we are unable to visit ISG. It would be most helpful for us to hear your views on what these schools are know for (reputation), which of the three could be considered the best school (in terms of learning, extra activities, friendly environment, etc)?

We will stay in Belgium for four years and would wish for our daughter to be placed in a stimulating environment, where various guided activities would be offered and where at the same time the atmosphere would be friendly. Our daughter is yet to learn French.

We heard positive things about Ecole Sacre Coeur with respect to how much teachers interact with children, however, there does not seem to be any green surfaces or playground on the premises (only tarmac).

On the other hand, ECdS does have a nicer outdoor area, however, the school seems to be quite large, class rooms rather small and, judging from how the school presented its activities, it would appear that the school offers less of them.

The ISG is a smaller school with a nice garden, it thus appears friendlier, however, we have not been able to form any views on how the school engages with children or what methods of learning they use.

We would very much appreciate to hear your views.

Kind regards,

Danijela

Hello and welcome on our forum,

While understanding your apprehension, you designate a school is very difficult.  Because everyone's feelings can be very different.  It is normal for you to watch the program, but rather trust your instincts and that of your child.  Besides, there are many answers in the old discussions.  Read them using the magnifying glass next to your avatar.  In addition, you must contact the state children's service.

https://be.brussels/living-in-brussels/ … e/children

Thank you very much for your reply.

I appreciate that the questions posed might not have single answers, however, various schools can have different reputations, specificities or qualities within a community. While we are naturally familiar with schools in our surroundings in our home country, we lack such knowledge/experience in Belgium.

Indeed, we read the previously published relevant posts, however, seeing that they offered very limited descriptions of experiences with these schools/local insight, we wanted to seek any possible further useful views.