Citizenship by marriage in Cape Verde

Hi there,

I am a British citIzen and my partner is a Cape Verdean citizen we are due to get married here in Cape Verde next week. I am looking to apply for a Cape Verdean passport once we are married, please can someone tell me if this can be done online or where I need to go & what I need for this process?

Any help is appreciated,

Many Thanks

Jasmine

I believe I beed to go to Praia for this, how do I book an appointment, here do I find the application form? Do I need  a police document?

Hello Jasmine,

You cannot simply get married to a Cape Verdean and apply for a passport. There's a whole process involved. Yet, you may not need to come to Praia to do any of this.

First of all, I take it that you have gone through the very intensive and excrutiating process of obtaining the various foreign documents needed for getting married in CV and that you've been issued the local Certificate of Freedom to Marry. I also assume that you've obtained your marriage license (extremely painful to obtain if your country of nationality does not issue a government proof that you are single) and that a date has already been officially given for the marriage. I also trust that you got married under the special regime, otherwise under CV law, your spouse will be automatically entitled to 50% of ALL of your local assets.

By the way, there is a foreign document that you are asked to submit for obtaining the marriage license but DO NOT SUBMIT THE ORIGINAL! The original will not be returned to you as it is submitted to the national archives and it will be impossible to have it returned. There is a special procedure that you must use to submit that document so that it is returned as you will have to use it again when you request citizenship (and it may take time, money and a lot of inconvenience to have another original sent to you).

Once you get married, you must first apply for citizenship and obtain the certificate of citizenship before you can request a CV passport. You will need to submit a host of documents with your application for citizenship plus pay the fee. One of the documents is a foreign document which you must obtain before submitting your application. They will then give you a date for an interview to ensure it was not a marriage of convenience. After you have recieved the certificate of citizenship, you can proceed to the process of applying for the passport (which requires another set of documents).

Go to the local Conservatório and ask about the process of applying for citizenship. They will be able to tell you if you will need to go to Praia (or Mindelo) for this.

Be careful with the procedures. I've seen too many people do this and mess up the documents along the way causing huge delays, unnecessary expenses and lots of grief. Make sure this does not happen to you.

If you need any further information or you want to speak with me personally about any of this, please feel free to contact me via the private chat. I will provide you with my local number (which is also my Whatsapp number).

Best regards,

Angelo

Jasminec wrote:

Hi there,

I am a British citIzen and my partner is a Cape Verdean citizen we are due to get married here in Cape Verde next week. I am looking to apply for a Cape Verdean passport once we are married, please can someone tell me if this can be done online or where I need to go & what I need for this process?

Any help is appreciated,

Many Thanks

Jasmine

Please provide me your whatsapp number. My whatsapp number is ***

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please do not post contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Murali,

First of all, your post is going to soon be flagged by the forum moderators as personal information such as phone number and email address are not allowed to be posted on the public forum for your own privacy/safety. (A random person who comes across your post will have your number and can start annoying you, or may send harmful attachments/links to your Whatsapp).

Second, I absolutely do not provide my Whatsapp contact (even in private) to random people who ask for it. I'd suggest that you either post your question here on the public forum or send me a private message with whatever queston you have. I will respond with an answer but my response will NOT include my Whatsapp number.

Best regards,

Angelo

muralicmd wrote:

Please provide me your whatsapp number. My whatsapp number is xxxxxxxxxx

Hello sir I'm from Pakistan i want marry with a cape Verden girl can I live there legally with her in cape Verde?

Hello sir have you get married now in cape Verde?

Jasmine,

Only just seeing your 2nd question below. You never posted further about getting married which you were going to do in a week. So were you able to get married...not as easy as you might have imagined, was it? The documents are the key, but few know what documents are required and how to authenticate them.

Anyway, it is indeed in Praia that you must make your citizenship application and attend the citizenship interview (provided you have the necessary documents to submit). Then after a couple months, they wll request another set of documents from you. Best of luck, and keep us posted on about your experience with the citizenship process.

Cheers,

Angelo

Jasminec wrote:

I believe I beed to go to Praia for this, how do I book an appointment, here do I find the application form? Do I need  a police document?

i need to contact you as very sone  send ur email.com

People are free to live with each other in Cape Verde, whether or not they are married.

A foreigner can live legally in Cape Verde provided they obtain a residency visa. You will not be automatically issued a residency visa if you marry a Cape Verdean citizen (or a legal resident). In this case, you are entitled to residency but you must apply for the residency visa and it will be granted to you.

Cheers,

Angelo

hashimbajwa021 wrote:

Hello sir I'm from Pakistan i want marry with a cape Verden girl can I live there legally with her in cape Verde?

Hi Sun9929082

You can contact me via private message. Stop posting your personal information on the forum.

Cheers,

Angelo

Hi Adam,

I can provide you with a very detailed info guide about every step in the process and every document that will be needed.

Cheers,

Angelo

adamsmith1886 wrote:

Hi Angelo,

Thanks for the useful insight. Would it be possible to receive more information regarding marrying in CV? I've sent you a private message.

Many thanks

Hello, I am very keen to gain residency in Cape Verde, as well as marry my Cape Verdean boyfriend. I have a few documents in place, but would really appreciate a complete breakdown of what exactly will be needed. Please can you advise Angelo? Kind regards, D

Hello, I am very keen to gain residency in Cape Verde, as well as marry my Cape Verdean boyfriend. I have a few documents in place, but would really appreciate a complete breakdown of what exactly will be needed. Please can you advise Angelo? Kind regards, D
-@demelzaknights

Hi Demelza,

A complete breakdown would take several pages of details. I've sent you a private message.

Angelo

Thank you Angelo.

Hy Angelo, I am from Australia and I am planning to marry cape verde lady in couple of months. Can I get a passport of cape verde we marry? How long that will take? And do we have to marry in cape verde or any other country marriage certificate is acceptable?

Thanks

Steve

@CVAngelo. Hy Angelo, I am from Australia and I am planning to marry cape verde lady in couple of months. Can I get a passport of cape verde we marry? How long that will take? And do we have to marry in cape verde or any other country marriage certificate is acceptable?

Thanks

Steve

Hy Angelo, I am from Australia and I am planning to marry cape verde lady in couple of months. Can I get a passport of cape verde we marry? How long that will take? And do we have to marry in cape verde or any other country marriage certificate is acceptable?
Thanks

Steve

-@Ibigcse

Hello Steve,

Can I get a passport of cape verde we marry? Yes, you can get a Cape Verde passport if you marry a citizen of Cape Verde.

How long that will take? It now takes 5 years to receive citizenship.

And do we have to marry in cape verde or any other country marriage certificate is acceptable? You do not have to get married in Cape Verde. You can marry in any country as long as it is a marriage that is legally recognized in that country and you are provided with a marriage certificate that is issued by that country.

Best of luck,

Angelo

Hello Angelo

Sir if i marry with cape varde citizen

how much time it will take to obtain cape varde passport

thanks

bhadre

Hello Angelo
Sir if i marry with cape varde citizen
how much time it will take to obtain cape varde passport
thanks
bhadre

-@sb53

It now takes FIVE years. Please read all of the posts. This question has been answer several times.

Cheers,

Angelo

@CVAngelo

Thank You Very Much For Your reply Sir