Menu
Expat.com

Interreligious marriage

Last activity 08 March 2021 by Petar64

Elbacha917

Can I circumvent marrying a mulim indonesian without changing my christian faith?

Fred

Razi Mandala

Mr:Fred answered you right..   really very hard so many paper work....also I think no possible marry with Muslim without you convert......

Petar64

Yes, in general you can and it's possible as I did in my case. Marriage different religion in case one is Moslem is not possible in Indonesia. In case you are coming from Europe ( independent which country ) your Indonesian Girlfriend shall prepare all document requested in your country according to national law which is huge amount of documents, that all those documents need to confirmed by stamp from Indonesian Ministry of Law and Ministry of Foreign offers when all this done, than you need high probably to translate all document to your language and confirm validity by stamping all that documents in your Embassy which is responsible for Indonesia, in my case it was in Jakarta. Once you organize and perform successful marriage in your country ( outside Indonesia) all the same ... all documents shall be stamped in ministry of law and foreign offers of your country, stamped in Indonesian Embassy responsible for your country (in case doesn't exist in your), with all that DOCUMENT the best and simplest way is to apply for VITAS in your country but due to corona they are not issuing any visa, all have to be applied online, so take Time. I have had valid KITAS so I entered and solved here VITAS. For VITAS application, your marriage certificate have to be recognized by Indonesian local A/authority which will need again translation of all documents to Bahasa included your passport, national ID, marriage certificate which is stamped by all authority above mentioned translate to Bahasa ... photos with your wife together with red background and, and, and .... YES you can and it is possible but independent how your Indonesian Girlfriend or Wife is liberal, their Family will never accept you as NON Muslim together with unbelievable differences which you'll become aware after marriage. Ask yourself why and do you need to do all this. I am religious a part from any Religion but still won't to change even for formal reason as marriage. Marriage will bring you nothing, believe me.

Fred

Petar64

It is possible, I did it. Yes it is huge amount of paper work, Yes it isn't recommended for guys who are changing believes as per Weather forecast and just a by the way, why is never a option for Muslim girl to convert to Christian? In that case you can Married in Indonesia without any problem and if Family is that liberal they will accept and support both of you. Or even simplest and middle way to convert both to by Indonesian Law recognized independent religion as Hindi just example than very low paper work and all legal? If you start your Marriage with change of religion just because you are under pressure, than you'll do it every time when necessary and that's more question about character than Religion and believes. I am talking as somebody who experienced all this on my own, not theoretician  as some other commentators

Bali Frog

"If you start your Marriage with change of religion just because you are under pressure, than you'll do it every time when necessary and that's more question about character than Religion and believes"

Spot on. And it likely will go South after some time.
"Love should not make you blind"

Elbacha917

Thanks for the informations, It seems a long tedious process. As I am an arab speaking person living in a mutireligious country, I am aware of muslim practices and their rituals and the differences. Theres this hair in the soup, which is adapting to the environment, does it   it affect your relationships with your spouse, coworkers and friends?
Does your spouse conform and practice christian beliefs or she is still practicing mulsim beliefs and how does it affect your beliefs?

My gf isnt putting pressure on me, she's requesting to keep an open mind, we're not going to live there for the rest of our lives, she wants to move out in the future. I think marriage add something to your life.

Petar64

only reason why I am participating on this topics is because I am self involved and have real experience which are good and not so good as well consequences which are coming with, all of this is my obligation to present on as objective as possible way even everybody of us is more subjective by analyzing. Anyhow, respect between different religion as example in Syria, Lebanon or Iran are depend of where are you living in Indonesia. Kapulau Riau as Batam and  of course Bali according to my own experience are acceptable so far everybody is respecting others but even that is limited to public and work spaces as soon you enter Family all change. It is much simple to live with somebody who have different religion in Europe that in Indonesia, or any other Moslem country. It is the fact.
Conclusion, depend of the reason for Marriage ( at first place Marriage bring NO advantage to foreigners when they Married Indonesian Wife) a part from optional & eventual application for Indonesian Citizenship which take a Time ( many Years) and additional knowledge of Bahasa, Money, assimilation etc.
Insisting on any of religion just bring troubles, to be honest my own opinion is that religion are made only to make control and nothing else then for my connection with God, I don't need rules, translator or special places for praying and just to finish, our lovely God is in any case only one gave us all we need so praying isn't option that Thankfulness.
What ever you decide is correct, it's your Life.

Elbacha917

Thanks for sharing your experience, I agree with you on many points, God is in people with good deeds and hearts regardless of their faith, People are busy looking for God outside and making laws to control others, and forcing their beliefs. You're right.

Petar64

Whish you all best my friend, if I can help you anyhow, just let me know.
Actually I used recommendation from Indonesian Embassy in Serbia and used www.imigrasi.go.id to support me for all occasion relevant to VITAS, KITAS and Family joining in Indonesia according to Married Indonesian wife.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Indonesia

• Moving to Indonesia with your pet
    Moving to Indonesia with your pet

Moving to Indonesia with a pet is not a risk-free operation, mainly due to stray animals and rabies. ...

• Moving to Indonesia
    Moving to Indonesia

Planning is essential before any relocation project, including moving to Indonesia. It can take several ...

• Working in Bali
    Working in Bali

The multi-faceted island of Bali offers many opportunities for those who wish to move from tourist to ...

• Driving in Indonesia
    Driving in Indonesia

Traffic in Indonesia can be very overwhelming, particularly since the discipline and road conditions can ...

• Having a baby in Indonesia
    Having a baby in Indonesia

If you are about to have a baby in Indonesia, you should be aware that the medical services available to pregnant ...

• Accommodation in Bali
    Accommodation in Bali

If you are planning to relocate to Bali, housing is a critical part of your project. So how to find your ...

• Buying property in Bali
    Buying property in Bali

Should your experience as an expatriate in Bali make you want to settle down permanently, you might want ...

• Accommodation in Indonesia
    Accommodation in Indonesia

Many of the expatriates living in Indonesia prefer renting accommodation owing to the generally limited ...

All of Indonesia's guide articles