Menu
Expat.com

What struck you about the Philippines?

Last activity 18 May 2021 by capricornrising

Cheryl

Hello everybody,

When you first settled in the Philippines, you might have been struck by cultural aspects of life in the Philippines and you might even have anecdotes about your integration here.
We would like you to share with expats-to-be what you discovered once you arrived in the Philippines: customs, traditions, interesting or fun facts etc.

What were the things that surprised you the most after your arrival?

Are there any practices that are particularly out of step with your culture of origin? If so, what are they?

What do you think about them?

Did you get used to these and adopt some of these traditions or norms?

Do you think you would take some of the customs of the Philippines with you if you were to return to your home country or move to another country?

Thank you!

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

pnwcyclist

Hi Cheryl,

There is a lot more respect for elders in the Philippines. This cultural tradition is taught from an early age and is represented not just by the overall respect given to older people, but by specific words used to greet elders such as Po (an older person), Kuya (older male relative/friend) and Ate (older female relative/friend).

There is also a greeting where younger people will greet an elder with a ritual called Mano, where they bow and touch the hand of the older person to their forehead. I have experienced this myself.

Beyond this, there are many other ways that respect for older people is obvious - elderly family members generally live with their younger families, so many households are multi-generational. Old people are not put into old age homes or retirement facilities as in the West, but kept in the household, and there is much more appreciation of the knowledge and experience that an older person has.

It is also somewhat more common, perhaps for this reason, to find relationships with larger age gaps than the West, both with foreigners and Filipinos.

Cookieduster

It has been almost 50 years since my wife and I lived in the Philippines as Peace Corp volunteers. We have visited several time since to celebrate the weddings and birthdays of some of our Filipino “family”. I totally agree with the comments of pnwcyclist. I would like to speak about the famous Filipino generosity and to warn about potential negative impacts of accepting that generosity. I learned early during my posting in Bacolod that there are limits and you need to carefully assess the ability of those providing the generosity and their financial ability to do so. I worked in an office with several Filipino coworkers. We would go to the in-house cafeteria twice a day on breaks. I was NEVER allowed to pay, a cultural thing. These were low wage government workers with families. A little math on my part quickly determined that my co-workers could not afford to buy my snacks twice a day. Solution:  I stopped going to the cafeteria WITH my co-workers. Instead I would follow about 5 minutes later therefore avoiding being on location when purchases were made and I was allowed to buy my own food and drink. My point is be prepared to pay your own way despite the generous nature of the Filipino culture. Don’t take unnecessary advantage. Everyone will be a winner.

manwonder

OMO : With reference to my limited time (2yrs) spent/living in one of the backwater provinces.
I do sense a worrying trend amongst this younger generation (<30).
They seem ONLY to seek instant gratification with their very limited resources & leave almost everything else to chance.
They all do aspire for a better life which is good, but sadly many lack any form of plan/commitment/perserverence in getting there.
Family gatherings/respect for elders is important, but that alone is just not enough.
Again OMO

coach53
manwonder wrote:

OMO : With reference to my limited time (2yrs) spent/living in one of the backwater provinces.
I do sense a worrying trend amongst this younger generation (<30).
They seem ONLY to seek instant gratification with their very limited resources & leave almost everything else to chance.
They all do aspire for a better life which is good, but sadly many lack any form of plan/commitment/perserverence in getting there.

Isn't it same for the elder Filiipinos too?  smile.png

I have found some but very few Filipinpos in any age planning ahead any longer. I have even made an expression for it   smile.png

Filippinos plan ahead until tomorrow.
Swedes plan ahead until next long vacation.
While Chineese plan generations ahead...   smile.png

Among successful businessmen in Phils it's common with chineese blood e g the foundet of Cebu Pacific and Globe.

Miguk

Why / what is in the filipino cultural upbringing that they will not go anywhere or stay in a place alone?  If I go somewhere by myself I am always asked who is with me (I'm a big boy i don't need a chaperone!)  I also spent a great deal of money to add a second floor to my house which is a really comfortable family room with large screen TV / video games / karaoke, etc....but NO ONE will stay  there by themselves....really strange to me.  Just curious what in the pinoy psyche prevents that. 
Concur with the bahala-ka-one-day-millionaire-sa-awa-ng-diyos mentality...if you don't have enough money to pay your electric bill  then don't be gambling!

Glen Adkins

I have noticed the same thing and find it worrisome.  Collecting plastic bottles, in the street, is not a smart job choice.  Opportunities, for the young, are very limited.

rcvining

I've been here (Cagayan de Oro) full-time for 9 months now, and am very lucky that I spend a lot of time with my wife's large, loving family. Yes, we spend a lot (relatively speaking) on them, but they are constantly doing things for us, so I consider it a healthy situation. I agree with the sentiments on the elderly; while my wife and I are both 65 we qualify, we don't feel, look, or act old, but we still get the noted reverence when meeting an extended family member for the 1st time.

What's different from life in the US? Driving (hard to compare it to anywhere else I've been - maybe Italy comes closest). My wife keeps telling me to "do this" or "don't do that", but since she refuses to get behind the wheel I mostly ignore it.

Patience is a must in all things - especially at the supermarket and in any dealings with the government. The food choices are different, but it's easy to find western selections - but good beef (imported) is expensive. It took a while to accept that eggs and milk are not refrigerated (they are once I get them home).

Other than that, if you can get a decent internet connection, life is pretty much the same. Try to live near activities that you enjoy (for me, it's golf twice a week). If you have a good family, or find a good local ex-pat community (we did), all the better.

Wayne 07

I first arrive in Philippines in 1972. I was 20 years old and came to Subic bay headed to Vietnam. At that time the first biggest cultural difference I notice was in the ladies. They were very possessive at least the ones I can across. Those were my days of partying and having a good time.

I came back here in 1987-1989 to be station in Subic Bay. During this time I was more observant of the culture vice first time. In USA we have what’s called public space. Which no one owns but respect is given to fact that we do not own it. For example if my vehicle brakes down in public space I move it way off road to give space to traffic because it’s a public space. Here in Philippines the mind set of locals were different. Let’s say a jeepney brakes down in street. They don’t move it along side but fix it in that spot. They do not see public space but wherever they are they own that spot. That took getting use to.

Another thing was driving. I brought my 1985 toyota supra here. In USA the lines on the road and driving rules apply. Well I find out that cultural differences about driving were 180 degrees different than USA. And that took a lot time getting use to.

The last thing I will comment on is the family difference. Filipino’s are very close in family values unlike the west. Here you married the whole family not just one individual. In some ways Filipino’s family values are better but not in all the ways.

I came to retire here in 2015 with my Filipino wife of 31 years. We live in province and I see so much more that I did being station here. I  stop with this. Karaoke here and in the west is 180 degrees and I will end on that note😂

blacksheepjuno

Some things that struck me here, that are so much different from what I was used to. Not good or bad, just different
Taxes included in the posted price most everywhere. In the US, taxes are always added on to the bill.
Public transportation is everywhere. Jeepneys, buses, tricycles, taxis in the metro, UV express, it’s cheap and easy to find a way to get somewhere. But traffic is also everywhere, lol.
Motorcycle drivers will weave in and out at will.
Selecting your seat when you buy your ticket for a movie. Being able to bring food and drink into a movie.
Every shopping cart in every market has four directional wheels. In the states, the back two wheels are fixed.
All the helpers who will assist you in backing up and getting your car out of a parking space and onto the street. (Always remember to tip them!)
Never having to pump my own gas!
Buying a single cigarette from a street vendor.
So many things sold in single serve, coffee, toothpaste, peanuts, tiny sodas, the variety seems endless
Dr. Pepper is difficult to find, and expensive! (Try Shopee or Lazada. Or in the S & R, sometimes in Shopwise markets)
Finding out most places don’t have flushing toilets or hot showers as standard equipment. (Don’t worry, they are easy to get, and can be bought and installed fairly cheaply, just don’t assume a place you are looking to move into will have them)
Bars on most every window.
Not every home has a TV, but just about every home has kareoke. Pinoys love to sing!
As mentioned, everyone calling me Sir, or Po. Sometimes I forget my own name, lol.
Security guards at every mall entrance.
Street vendors, that will also jump onto buses
The amazing ingenuity of the people here in solving problems with limited resources
Barbecue pork on a stick! Gotta have it! So sarap!
Rice with every meal. I grew up with French fries. Now I need my kanin.
Having to duck my head getting in and out of jeepneys. And limited leg room on the bus, jeepney or UV express.
Finding the best onion rings in the world, and one of the most delicious burgers at 8 Cuts.  (In MOA and also Greenbelt).
I’m sure I’m missing many things. But I do know that I love the Philippines!

rcvining

I will add the one thing that really bothers me about the Philippines (at least here in CDO). Many of my neighbors have large, beautiful dogs that they keep in small cages 24/7. Very cruel. They bark (loudly) at anything that passes, which makes them useless as a security alarm but excellent at being an alarm clock that you shouldn't need here. I don't get it.

Lotus Eater
Miguk wrote:

Why / what is in the filipino cultural upbringing that they will not go anywhere or stay in a place alone?  If I go somewhere by myself I am always asked who is with me (I'm a big boy i don't need a chaperone!)  I also spent a great deal of money to add a second floor to my house which is a really comfortable family room with large screen TV / video games / karaoke, etc....but NO ONE will stay  there by themselves....really strange to me.  Just curious what in the pinoy psyche prevents that. 
Concur with the bahala-ka-one-day-millionaire-sa-awa-ng-diyos mentality...if you don't have enough money to pay your electric bill  then don't be gambling!

"just curious what in the pinoy psyche" This is a Pandora's box question but here goes.
There are many attributes that sadly absent themselves in the average Filipino's psyche (I say average meaning not all)

1.Lack of self confidence will answer your first query.
2. The inability to think for ones self.
3. The dearth of lateral thinking.
4. Common sense I'm sure does not have a direct translation in Tagalog.
5. A prevailing herd mentality. Filipinos take criticism personally not objectively. Don't ever get into a heated debate on any issue with Filipino's as they will gang up against you.

Perhaps the above illustrate why the Philippines has not developed as fast as other A.S.E.A.N countries. A controversial topic that's not relevant here but perhaps can be explored in a future thread.

To balance the above critique and credit the positives:

1. A cheeky sometimes wicked sense of humour - love it!
2. A childish intellect that lends itself to easy going company on a night out when you just want to forget about lifes problems.
3. Tactile lovemaking; at least as far as the female species go  smile.png
4. When they put their mind to it a sartorial elegance second to none particularly among Filipina's who have the knack of making simple apparel incredibly stylish.

Oh and throw in some of the worlds most beautiful islands and beaches, a beautiful woman and accept the above 5 shortcomings and its not surprising that western males are attracted to these islands.

manwonder

Yup...most vocal and visual signals become less important as 'tactile' signals intensify.

big_smile.png

moonunit0103

A complaint I have is with the littering, trash all over the place. Folks don't think twice about pitching wrappers, cups, most anything lacking value.  Once I was snorkeling near a resort, and trash covered the bottom.  A real shame to see that in person.

If a Filipino is not confident speaking English, they tend to ignore you, treating you like you are a ghost, even if you directly speak to them. 

Things here are much more communal than in the West.  People are not as possessive or materialistic for the most part.  Still, you see folks driving 4x4 trucks and SUVs with jacked up suspensions, monster Mudder tires, and every accessory imaginable, and never leave a paved road.

Smartphones are a real problem.  People are choosing to text instead of direct conversation with the people with them.

Enzyte Bob
moonunit0103 wrote:

Smartphones are a real problem.  People are choosing to text instead of direct conversation with the people with them.

A trend I'm associating with smart phone users: When a person I've haven't heard from in quite a while or visa versa contacts me and asks about my life in the Philippines, I respond with a lengthy email sometimes taking an hour.

Then I get a 12 word reply. Some people on this forum also give short replies to posts. Now I associate that trend with people using smart phones with little little buttons instead of a keyboard.

Filipinos send more texts messages than the whole world combined and don't have a load to make phone calls.

pnwcyclist

The littering and trash really bothers me too. It's shocking to watch people just throw their wrapper on the street, and it's made worse by all the single-use plastic for everything - coffee, laundry detergent, snacks, shampoo, and on and on. No concept whatsoever about the environment.

bigpearl

Agree with the rubbish problem here and it's been mentioned on lots of forums over the years, like everything the fix starts with educating both young and old.

We are beachfront and maybe once a week I litter pick the immediate area in front and generally only half a dozen things.
What is good is that every 3 to 4 weeks some 15 to 20 locals comb the whole beach collecting rubbish and take it away, they laugh and have fun but I'm not brave enough to join the group and really have no idea where they are from or who organises them, a question for our local Capitan next time we see him.

We thought about a steel rubbish bin fixed to a concrete base that we would empty and will run that by Capitan also and hear his advice on the ramifications.

Cheers, Steve.

Jackson4

Steel rubbish bin is a great idea.
You will have to teach the people to put their rubbish inside the bin, not beside it.😷

manwonder

I hope you are aware that there is a huge market for used steel/metal which may include rubbish bins & manhole covers.
Not too sure about the market for used concrete which is also being used as landfill.

Enzyte Bob
manwonder wrote:

I hope you are aware that there is a huge market for used steel/metal which may include rubbish bins & manhole covers.
Not too sure about the market for used concrete which is also being used as landfill.

In the states stealing copper & copper wire has been a problem for year. Fools would get electrocuted stealing wire off utility poles. People would go on vacation and find their house wiring and copper pipes stolen when they come home.

With the price of copper at $4.06 USD per pound and using my Fuzzy Math, that's close to 436 PHP per kilo.

A way for the Philippines to pay for the Covid vaccine for all, is remove all that useless copper wire that goes nowhere.

manwonder
Enzyte Bob wrote:
manwonder wrote:

In the states stealing copper & copper wire has been a problem for year. Fools would get electrocuted stealing wire off utility poles. People would go on vacation and find their house wiring and copper pipes stolen when they come home.

With the price of copper at $4.06 USD per pound and using my Fuzzy Math, that's close to 436 PHP per kilo.

A way for the Philippines to pay for the Covid vaccine for all, is remove all that useless copper wire that goes nowhere.

Agree... the maths appears correct provided we are talking about *real copper (tested)....there is also a huge market here for both real/fake copper...I am not too sure if fake copper found here in many items can buy you very much.

https://youtu.be/Zzc4-hnm0YM

coach53
bigpearl wrote:

What is good is that every 3 to 4 weeks some 15 to 20 locals comb the whole beach collecting rubbish and take it away, they laugh and have fun but I'm not brave enough to join the group

Why not??  Seem to be an excelent group to become friend with specialy if they are volontairs.  Instead of them, who just sit and drink beer   smile.png
I know a Filipina in such volontary cleaning group in Puerto Princesa city. It has reputation to be one of the cleanest cities in Phils - although the competition isn't so hard   smile.png

bigpearl wrote:

We thought about a steel rubbish bin fixed to a concrete base that we would empty and will run that by Capitan also and hear his advice on the ramifications.

I doubt that would function. 
A foreigner gave candy to relatiives to his Filipna wife - and the wrapes "of course" were just thrown where the eater stood in that nice nature where the family farm is.  They took up when the foreiner saw and told them, but he had big problem to try to change their terrible habbit even with he has the candy to motivate them with....

A possitive example, although it wasn't ment to be:
A Swede told where he lived back then everything lose got stolen even when things were at their yard outsde their house in a village.  So he did put out a plasttic bag with garbage and that got stolen too   lol.png

blacksheepjuno

I’ve seen it mentioned or complained about many times that there is a huge rubbish problem here, and many of us foreigners from first world countries tend to look down our noses at the people, without taking the time to become aware of some of the issues involved that lead to this.
Having been born and raised in the states, I was taught from a young age to clean up after myself. That was reinforced in my working life, (I once remember a supervisor tracking me down to tell me “Your mother doesn’t work here, you need to clean up the mess you left in my area, lol). That extends to fast food places, where I was expected to dump my own trash.
But here, there is massive underemployment. Any McDo or Jollibee you walk into have people whose  daily job is cleaning up the trays and trash from the customers. More than once, when I’ve started to clean up my own table, an employee has come to ask me not to do it, because if their boss sees it, they could get in trouble. These employees maybe make 50 pesos per hour, if their lucky. Most local cities employ street cleaners who don’t make much either. Many homes and families have yayas, many of them younger relatives who are being raised by a slightly more wealthier aunt or uncle. In return, they do maid work, usually in exchange for room and board. Everywhere you go, someone is being paid to pick up after you. This is what they grow up learning, someone else will pick it up. Nobody teaches that, it’s just learned from experience.
Just like we learned that in fancy restaurants, someone will seat us, take our order, and clean up our table when we leave, here it happens everywhere. Those people on the beach are probably paid to do that work.
That’s not to try to excuse the issue, but perhaps bring some perspective on why it’s so difficult to combat. People here don’t purposely decide they are going to throw their trash wherever, it’s actually a more unconscious reflex, just like a smoker who tosses their butt without thinking, or a gum chewer who just spits it out.
I’m also inclined to just try to help by picking up trash upon occasion. I would rather try to set an example than add to the perception of the complaining outsider. Because that perception definitely exists here.

And one more item I discovered here, did you know that employees here only get paid until closing, but after closing, they spend another hour or more cleaning up, unpaid? I knew of a manager at one medium class restaurant chain that took a cut of their employees commissions and tips. I doubt if it was an isolated incident. Ok, so that was two.

I fall back on the old saying, never judge someone until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.

Now I’ll get off my soapbox and apologize for preaching.

smile.png

pnwcyclist

Valid points and very insightful, blacksheep. There is definitely a strong cultural component. There is also a lack of basic infrastructure in many areas (receptacles and pickup) compared to western countries.

Miguk
Lotus Eater wrote:
Miguk wrote:

"just curious what in the pinoy psyche" This is a Pandora's box question but here goes.
There are many attributes that sadly absent themselves in the average Filipino's psyche (I say average meaning not all)

1.Lack of self confidence will answer your first query.
2. The inability to think for ones self.
3. The dearth of lateral thinking.
4. Common sense I'm sure does not have a direct translation in Tagalog.
5. A prevailing herd mentality. Filipinos take criticism personally not objectively. Don't ever get into a heated debate on any issue with Filipino's as they will gang up against you.

Perhaps the above illustrate why the Philippines has not developed as fast as other A.S.E.A.N countries. A controversial topic that's not relevant here but perhaps can be explored in a future thread.

To balance the above critique and credit the positives:

1. A cheeky sometimes wicked sense of humour - love it!
2. A childish intellect that lends itself to easy going company on a night out when you just want to forget about lifes problems.
3. Tactile lovemaking; at least as far as the female species go  smile.png
4. When they put their mind to it a sartorial elegance second to none particularly among Filipina's who have the knack of making simple apparel incredibly stylish.

Oh and throw in some of the worlds most beautiful islands and beaches, a beautiful woman and accept the above 5 shortcomings and its not surprising that western males are attracted to these islands.

Thanks for the input but it doesn't really address why Filipinos won't normally go anywhere without a companion and will not normally stay in a place by themselves.  Is it the conditioning from the earliest age that the the group is more important than the individual?  Scaring children not to go into another room/place with ghosts that continues into adulthood?  Just very curious about this cultural phenomenon.  And of course when it comes to "Tactile Lovemaking" we are all delighted they don't want to be by themselves! tongue.png

pnwcyclist

Yes, lots of superstitions among Filipinos.

Lotus Eater

"Thanks for the input but it doesn't really address why Filipinos won't normally go anywhere without a companion and will not normally stay in a place by themselves."

Precisely the point I made Miguk - a lack of self confidence

coach53
pnwcyclist wrote:

Not much, just need to hurry geting inside the house from own yard when it become dark so wak-wak don'r come and take you   smile.png

bigpearl
coach53 wrote:
pnwcyclist wrote:

Not much, just need to hurry geting inside the house from own yard when it become dark so wak-wak don'r come and take you   smile.png

LMAO. Too true but I see the same in many cultures, even western but to lesser degrees.

Cheers, Steve.

FilAmericanMom
Miguk wrote:

I also spent a great deal of money to add a second floor to my house which is a really comfortable family room with large screen TV / video games / karaoke, etc....but NO ONE will stay  there by themselves....really strange to me.  Just curious what in the pinoy psyche prevents that.

Maybe they are just being respectful.

Have you asked the people who live with you why they don't want to be alone in the family room? You put a large screen TV / video games / karaoke, etc. there. People probably assume it's YOUR room and YOUR space. Like your own man-cave. Maybe they're afraid of damaging things. Games can be addicting. Maybe they are avoiding getting addicted to a game.

Consider these:

1. Does your tv have access to Filipino / Korean telenovelas? Or Filipino variety / game shows / news?

2. Karaoke is done with a group, usually with a side of alcohol. It's not done alone. Except maybe if someone's heart just got broken and he/she wants to let it all out by singing Adele's songs.

3. Regarding video games, would you mind if someone beat your high score? Maybe they're seen you play and are better than you.  It's more fun to play a video game with another person than alone. (Dance Central 2, anyone?)

If you do want people to use that room, invite them. Subscribe to a channel with telenovelas. Buy a few beers and sing karaoke with them. Be prepared though, because people might start hogging your family room.

FilAmericanMom
moonunit0103 wrote:

It's because most pre-paid text plans are cheaper than pre-paid call plans. And in some pre-paid plans, one cannot make calls to people who are subscribed to other networks / providers.  Text only. That's why there's a lot more texting than calling.

Like with my plan, I can make an unlimited number of calls and text to Sun subscribers and up to 250 texts to other networks without being charged extra. But calls to other networks and landline phones will cost me between 7 to 13 pesos per minute.

FilAmericanMom
pnwcyclist wrote:

The littering and trash really bothers me too. It's shocking to watch people just throw their wrapper on the street, and it's made worse by all the single-use plastic for everything - coffee, laundry detergent, snacks, shampoo, and on and on. No concept whatsoever about the environment.

I too don't like the single use plastics and sachets. Even if they are disposed of properly, they're still a menace. They damage the environment. But they're still being produced because they're more profitable for the multi-billion dollar companies.

Here's a petition to ban single-use plastics here in the Philippines:

https://www.breakfreefromplastic.org/pe … ngress-ph/

FilAmericanMom
coach53 wrote:
pnwcyclist wrote:

LOL. That's something grown-ups use to scare little kids so they would come inside the house when it's starting to get dark. But kids are smarter now. If you tell them that the wak-wak (comes from the word "uwak" which means crow) will get them, they'll probably search the internet to prove you wrong.

It's also like when grown-ups tell their kids not to sleep with their hair wet, because if they do, they could go blind. Parents just want to avoid having damp pillows which could smell muggy and moldy.

Enzyte Bob
FilAmericanMom wrote:

It's also like when grown-ups tell their kids not to sleep with their hair wet, because if they do, they could go blind.

That's not how you go blind or get hairy knuckles, it's something else.

FilAmericanMom
Enzyte Bob wrote:
FilAmericanMom wrote:

It's also like when grown-ups tell their kids not to sleep with their hair wet, because if they do, they could go blind.

That's not how you go blind or get hairy knuckles, it's something else.

I do know that sleeping with your hair wet would not make you go blind. It's just a scare tactic used by parents.

Sometimes, my daughter would sleep with her hair wet because she likes taking a shower at night. And it's annoying when she sleeps with her long hair wet, because pillows would smell damp, and I would have to hang them out to dry. I told my daughter that my mom told me that one would go blind if he / she sleeps with his / her hair wet.  I thought it would stop her bad habit, and that she would dry her hair first before going to bed. But instead she looked it up on the internet and told me it wasn't true.

Jackson4

Getting rid of grocery plastics bags and other plastic for food packaging is a good thing, but banning it outright isn't going to successful.
There needs to have a viable replacement before one can start reducing/removing plastic bags. Plastic bags are cheap and readily available. It will very challenging to change the use of these plastics in the Philippines. The big grocery chains should take the lead, then trickle down to the wet markets. Vote Jackson4 for president, we'll git it done. 😂

FilAmericanMom
Jackson4 wrote:

Getting rid of grocery plastics bags and other plastic for food packaging is a good thing, but banning it outright isn't going to successful.
There needs to have a viable replacement before one can start reducing/removing plastic bags. Plastic bags are cheap and readily available. It will very challenging to change the use of these plastics in the Philippines. The big grocery chains should take the lead, then trickle down to the wet markets. Vote Jackson4 for president, we'll git it done. 😂

Plastic bags are not allowed anymore at supermarkets. You have to bring an eco-bag.

The product packaging that needs to get banned are the small sachets for single-serve instant coffee, peanuts, shampoo, toothpaste, ketchup, laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, etc. I was surprised to see a very small plastic bottle for C2 iced tea called "baon" size. 2-3 gulps' amount of liquid in it.

Jackson4
FilAmericanMom wrote:

Plastic bags are not allowed anymore at supermarkets. You have to bring an eco-bag.

This must have happened in the last year.
When I visited in October 2019, I stayed at an SMDC condo near the airport, the SM grocery store used plastic bags back then.

bigpearl
FilAmericanMom wrote:
Jackson4 wrote:

The product packaging that needs to get banned are the small sachets for single-serve instant coffee, peanuts, shampoo, toothpaste, ketchup, laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, etc. I was surprised to see a very small plastic bottle for C2 iced tea called "baon" size. 2-3 gulps' amount of liquid in it.

100% agree but a difficult task given these small packs are made for those with little money living day to day and cannot afford a stocked pantry. We buy the large coffee, dish and washing liquids etc and refill, same with plastic water bottles, refill and when we go out two bottles go in the car with us, sanitized regularly most of these are up to 2 years young. Our local supermarket (Puregold) is still using plastic bags sadly but we have green bags (eco) we sent over with our stuff from Oz that are appreciated by the packers.
A larger supermarket we use from time  to time pack into cardboard boxes and only plastic for detergents etc.

Cheers, Steve.

Miguk
FilAmericanMom wrote:
Miguk wrote:

I also spent a great deal of money to add a second floor to my house which is a really comfortable family room with large screen TV / video games / karaoke, etc....but NO ONE will stay  there by themselves....really strange to me.  Just curious what in the pinoy psyche prevents that.

Maybe they are just being respectful.

Have you asked the people who live with you why they don't want to be alone in the family room? You put a large screen TV / video games / karaoke, etc. there. People probably assume it's YOUR room and YOUR space. Like your own man-cave. Maybe they're afraid of damaging things. Games can be addicting. Maybe they are avoiding getting addicted to a game.

Consider these:

1. Does your tv have access to Filipino / Korean telenovelas? Or Filipino variety / game shows / news?

2. Karaoke is done with a group, usually with a side of alcohol. It's not done alone. Except maybe if someone's heart just got broken and he/she wants to let it all out by singing Adele's songs.

3. Regarding video games, would you mind if someone beat your high score? Maybe they're seen you play and are better than you.  It's more fun to play a video game with another person than alone. (Dance Central 2, anyone?)

If you do want people to use that room, invite them. Subscribe to a channel with telenovelas. Buy a few beers and sing karaoke with them. Be prepared though, because people might start hogging your family room.

I have a separate man cave lol so that isn’t an issue.  I do not use the room at all. Of course it has all tv channels along with Netflix, etc.  There is a refrigerator with all the selections of alcohol available. I don’t play video games so that isn’t an issue either. There is even a small bedroom for napping/sleeping...but no one will stay there by themselves. That was the original inquiry...why pinoys/pinays will not go anywhere or stay somewhere by themselves.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles