What is your Electric Bill like ?

@Timo62 you're not reading it right.. I said Electricity, Water and Maintenance (HOA security, etc.) fees are $200 a month total (all together).. I seriously don't think you would find that price in Fla for all of that or, in that case- not even in Louisiana which is the lowest kw/rate in the US.

What is our electric bill like?

We live in Quezon City. Our provider is Meralco.

In our last bill, billed June 17,  2022 for the period May 18 - June 17, 2022. our usage was 926kWh. The billing period usually starts on the 18th of the month to the 17th of the following month. For that June 2022 billing, we were charged PhP10,824.86.

In the bill, there's a bar graph. Our usage for this billing period is less than the previous one. As per the bar graph, usage peaks during May billing, October billing, and January billing, the highest of which is for the May billing. Every year it follows that pattern. I'm guessing it's because we use aircon more during May billing period and October billing period due to hot weather and Christmas lights in January billing period.

Our house faces northeast, gets lots of natural light, has large windows and has good air circulation. Where we live in Metro Manila is cooler than most parts. We live close to a watershed. There's a breeze coming from the mountains of Bulacan that passes through the front of our house. We rely mostly on fans for cooling during the day. But at night, and sometimes early afternoon, we turn on the aircons in three rooms. (Only the four bedrooms have aircon units installed. No aircon units for the living room, dining, den, etc.) But still our usage is quite high at 926kWh, because all the little things add up, like the filter for the fish pond, our cats' water fountains, tv, laptops, air purifier, water cooler, appliances on stand-by, etc.

As our kids grew up, our electric bill also grew. In the past, I, my husband and our two kids used to sleep together in the masters bedroom. It's a large room. We used to use just one 2hp inverter aircon. But when my son became a teenager and preferred to sleep in his own room, which has a 1.5hp aircon, our aircon usage increased. Now my daughter sleeps half of the time in her own room, which also has a 1.5hp aircon. So, more aircon use over time.
I have a 5 bedroom, 5 1/2 bath, plus maids room and bath. It's about 350 sqm using US sizing and 438 sqm measured thee filipino way. My 2 kids rooms upstairs each have a 1.5 HP split inverter AC. They turned 10 about 3 months ago but still sleep together. In the bedroom their AC is on about 10 hours each day. In the other room which they are using for online classes the AC is on about 7 hours a day. The MBR has a 2.5 hp SI AC that is on 24/7. My wife's walk in closet has a 1 HP SI AC but it's rarely on. The family room, dining room and living room each have a 3 Ton standing inverter AC, generally only 1 of these is on sporadically. The 2 guest rooms downstairs each have a 1 HP SI AC. My father and mother in law use 1 room and mostly just use a wall mounted fan. The other guest room is used sporadically. The dirty kitchen and maids room also have wall mounted fans. The 3 bedrooms upstairs have DC overhead fans. All lighting is LED. We have a large 3 door inverter ref. We also have a standing inverter freezer in the dirty kitchen. Our clothes washer is inverter, the dryer uses a heat pump. Of course the rice cooker is on generally, induction style. The coffee maker is well used. We have a 900 watt smart microwave and also an electric oven. The twins are on their laptops all the time, either for school or games. I have a 17" Alienware gaming laptop, the brick is rated 330 watts!  My last electric bill was 13,685 pesos for 1120 kwh.
- @pilotdrh

I forgot to add that all the full baths have on demand heaters. My 10 year old daughter loves her shower, she stays in there about 30 minutes every night! I'm sure that adds to the bill. My 10 year old son kind of makes up for it a little, he is probably in the shower for 10 minutes..max! I'm interested in seeing my usage changes once the twins start going to physical school. Of course I won't actually save any ₱ since I'll be paying for their school bus service.
@capricornrising

Sounds like me. Living in the province 1-hour north of Cebu with my lady. Two kids in household with us.
Even though fuel prices have dropped the cost of electricity per KWH increased again this month. I paid 18.9 per KWH last month and this month the cost was P19,4 per KWH based on 945 KWHs of usage. The in laws used about half that much and were charged P19.7 per KWH.
Even though fuel prices have dropped the cost of electricity per KWH increased again this month. I paid 18.9 per KWH last month and this month the cost was P19,4 per KWH based on 945 KWHs of usage. The in laws used about half that much and were charged P19.7 per KWH.
- @Moon Dog

Wow. . . .was your bill P18,616.5?

Received my bill today from Meralco . . . . . . P10,654.34

990 kwh of usage. . . . . cost:  P10.76 kwh

@Moon Dog Electricity rates in the Philippines, with all surcharges etc. included, are usually around 10-12 php/kwh. The highest I know of are at our Siquijor home (PROSIELCO uses diesel) at 12 php. At our Valencia Negros Oriental home (NORECO uses geothermal) it is around 10 php. I have never heard of anything near 19 php. Wow.

- @Moon Dog

Wow. . . .was your bill P18,616.5?

Received my bill today from Meralco . . . . . . P10,654.34

990 kwh of usage. . . . . cost:  P10.76 kwh

- @Enzyte Bob

Meralco rate for the last billing period for our place in Quezon City is the same as Enzyte Bob's. Our bill total was 7,858.98 for 732kWh. I'm surprised that Moon Dog's rate is at 19.4 - 19.7 / kWh. Perhaps you might want to check if your residence was registered as commercial instead of residential. Commercial rate is higher than residential.
Actual numbers from bill P18,051.01 for 929 KWH. I put in the KWH usage from memory in OP. Memory is not what it used to be.

My in laws have an even higher rate, P11,424.26 for 579 KWHs = P19.73 per KWH
Just got another bill the other day for the small 3 bedroom two story home we're renting. AC in two bedrooms, inverter fridge, all LED lighting, hot water in main bathroom - 2500p for month of July usage.

The month before (June usage) it was 2900p.

@pnwcyclist What was your cost per KWH?

I don't have it in front of me but I have a pic of the one from last month (June). The total was 2814p for 252kWh, so 11.17 per kWh.This is Noreco, on Negros Oriental.

EDIT - found this latest bill - it was 2624pp for 221 kWh this past month (for July), so roughly 11.87p per kWh this time around.

Bill was a bit lower this past month because it was cooler with all the rain, and it's a slightly higher rate because.. I guess  the fixed surcharges being spread across fewer kilowatts.... this bill looks like a large grocery store receipt..
My last bill from July was 14.07 per kWH (1089 kWH) P15,322. So more than last month while using 31 kWH less. I have all of the big stuff for my solar system ordered...hoping to get rid of the electric bill.

@pilotdrh Generally, it has been taking 6 months for the electric coops to approve the grid ties. You may wish to ask the solar contractor about that because I think their ads do not mention that and some owners are miffed when they find they cannot save money right away. And what do you do with the excess power in the meantime, assuming you have no battery storage? Well, I guess during the day when the sun is shining you could run it through a transfer switch as you do a generator and run the house on it...if it's not overcast and you have enough panels. Doesn't seem practical.

@pilotdrh Generally, it has been taking 6 months for the electric coops to approve the grid ties. You may wish to ask the solar contractor about that because I think their ads do not mention that and some owners are miffed when they find they cannot save money right away. And what do you do with the excess power in the meantime, assuming you have no battery storage? Well, I guess during the day when the sun is shining you could run it through a transfer switch as you do a generator and run the house on it...if it's not overcast and you have enough panels. Doesn't seem practical.

- @danfinn

Yes, I'm aware of the 6 months. Everything takes time in the PI, not that we don't have issues in the US sometimes. But I'm hoping my system will carry everything. I'm going to run as a whole house system with a 30 kWH battery and 21 kWp of panels on a ground mount. I'm doing almost everything myself as a project, just farming a little small stuff out. I wasn't impressed with the replies I got back from 3 solar installers so I found my own guy. He is experienced with the inverter I'm using so I'm having his team do the 20-22 meters of conduit and the wiring from the array and the AC tie in wiring inside to the inverter.
I posted a message on the Biliran Facebook page about Bileco increasing the rate to almost P20 per KWH in spite of lower fuel cost. So far the post has received 555 likes, 205 comments and 116 shares. I also messaged the CEO of Bileco and Governor Espina but no replies so far.
Did you use Moon Dog as your handle?
No, it is facebook so it is my name, David
To bad.
My electric bill received today from (surneco/surigao city) just breached 19p/KWH....the highest ever. However not unexpected.
Meantime I have self installed a few low cost solar panels bought from shopee (screwed them onto my roof facia/sanipa...I know it's not the best location but it still gets the job done pretty well) then I wired it to a charge controller which was then also wired to my 3yr old refurbished multicab 12v battery with enough juice to run some indoor offgrid solar lighting at nights & it even manages to run my outdoor 12v sound woofer system which I blast off during the day...(Very helpful when there's a Black/Brown out.)

1f600.svg

- @danfinn

Yes, I'm aware of the 6 months. Everything takes time in the PI, not that we don't have issues in the US sometimes. But I'm hoping my system will carry everything. I'm going to run as a whole house system with a 30 kWH battery and 21 kWp of panels on a ground mount. I'm doing almost everything myself as a project, just farming a little small stuff out. I wasn't impressed with the replies I got back from 3 solar installers so I found my own guy. He is experienced with the inverter I'm using so I'm having his team do the 20-22 meters of conduit and the wiring from the array and the AC tie in wiring inside to the inverter.
- @pilotdrh

OK, so you will have both batteries and grid-tie. That is fantastic because you can get through the brownouts for a while with 30KWH depending on current draw. But while you are selling back to noreco II on the grid, you would not necessarily be charging the battery. Have you automated the grid-tie vs battery charge cycle timing, or do you just do both in parallel but prevent the battery from discharging power to the grid or would it be manual? Up to now I have only considered stand alone power, or grid-tie, but not both together.
I'm still waiting for my components to arrive. But I'll definitely have it setup to charge the batteries before exporting. And we're on Batelec 2 here in Batangas. And the locals don't show them any respect on their FB page. Not that I've seen they deservè much. I know I wouldn't want to work on that spaghetti grid.

Well my latest Meralco Sept 2022 electric bill.

P10,839.99 ($184.51 US)

891 kph

Cost: P11.15 kph (20.7 cents US)

Using today's rate $1 equals P58.75

Just received my Bileco bill. P24,979 for 1,186 KWHs, P21.06 per KWH.

Just received my Bileco bill. P24,979 for 1,186 KWHs, P21.06 per KWH.
-@Moon Dog

WOW. . . .My fuzzy math converts that to: $425.17 USD  at 35.8 US Cents per KWH

@Enzyte Bob OMG... 35.8 cents per is like paying in the States... thought it was cheaper here.. :)

@tpiro 35.8 cents is about 3 times what I was paying in Georgia. The rate per KWH was 12 cents a year ago.

@Enzyte Bob OMG... 35.8 cents per is like paying in the States... thought it was cheaper here.. smile.png
-@tpiro

In the US Connecticut pays the highest 25.43 KWH

In the US Washington State pays the lowest 10.49 KWH

These figures exclude Alaska & Hawaii.

Guess I should consider myself Lucky. Bill received today is 13,000 PHP at about 15.5 PHP per KWHR. I have quit trying to Cut Back on Comfort. Bedroom AC now runs 24/7 @ 25C; but I open door to Living Room/Kitchen and try to avoid also running the window unit in that room except during any sit-down Dinners.

P10,839.99 ($184.51 US)
891 kph

-@Enzyte Bob

Isn't it 12.17?

@pilotdrh Yes, I also calculate 12.17 PHP/KWHR for Bob...

P10,839.99 ($184.51 US)
891 kph
-@Enzyte Bob

Isn't it 12.17?
-@pilotdrh

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

pilotdrh your math is correct, I errored by putting down the wrong usage.

Update: My usage was 972 KPH

Bill: is correct P10,839.99

Cost isStill 11.15 KPH

On a different thread, I recently said that my girlfriend had asked me to pay for her monthly Electricity bill of 9000 pesos and I refused. I do not know her unit rate or all the details but do know she runs an air conditioner in the main bedroom, has broadband, TV, washer/dryer, cooker or stove, kettle, etc. I refused to pay but was advised that 9000 pesos a month seemed a little steep. Reading through this post it seems like there are people paying more than her so I was wondering, how much as a percentage does the aircon contribute towards the monthly bill.

I am in the UK at the moment and pay a daily standing charge of 26.82 per day and 19.73p per kwh used. These figures are in UK money so 19.73 pence a unit used. I was lucky enough to lock into a Fixed 3 year deal with my energy provider a year ago so I know these rates will stay the same until Sep 24. I pay by direct debit, £64 per month which seems a bit cheaper than what most of you guys are paying. I took and entered an energy reading a few days ago and I am now about £140 in credit on my account. Winter is obviously approaching now so my usage will go up in a couple of months when I need to use the heaters. (I only have electric, no gas).

Two more questions - Is there such a thing as a Fixed Price Energy Deal in the Philippines where you can agree to pay a little more per kwh, knowing that you have fixed in the price for a set amount of time? Also in the UK there are various grants available to help people with insulation and other ways to keep the heat from escaping, I know we have the opposite problem to over there, we want to keep the heat in mostly and you want to cool the house and let the heat escape. Is there any schemes for the locals there to help, maybe partially to fund the installation of aircon or something similar (obviously for the locals who cannot afford or struggle to afford the cost of aircon? Silly question I guess, but just wondered if there was help for the poorer locals there.

@Cherryann01 From what I understand the poorer locals have a fan, a few lights and maybe a cell phone charger. Not much of an electric bill and not much money to pay one anyway.

@pilotdrh

Yeh that is what I thought, shame they get no other help. Still they do seem to love their cell phones. I would swap the cell phone for aircon any day.

Amongst all this Electric Bill discussion, I just read a Facebook Article: Paganga Electric Cooperative II said the August cost of P13.081 kwh will increase to P13.975 kwh this month.

Amongst all this Electric Bill discussion, I just read a Facebook Article: Paganga Electric Cooperative II said the August cost of P13.081 kwh will increase to P13.975 kwh this month.
-@Enzyte Bob

Might be a good idea take take a meter reading just before so you know they only charge you at the new rate from the date advertised.

Ours is actually going down by 0.2482.

@Cherryann01

PHP 9000 (£138) per month?! Sounds like your GF is taking you for the proverbial 'scenic tour' First Class. The average annual energy bill in the UK last year was about £1,200. (Circa $1600 - using Big Mac index figures as £ in freefall :( )

I would ask to see the bill. You could be funding an extravagant lifestyle for her and ahem the extended family (including the neighbours and their neighbours :) )

I use gas central heating (80% of UK households use gas) so I am going to get clobbered this year by Mr Putin. My projected annual bill will be £2,800 (-£400 govt subsidy) so will be paying more than double from last year but I have a 3 bedroom property and do like a warm house.

@Cherryann01
PHP 9000 (£138) per month?! Sounds like your GF is taking you for the proverbial 'scenic tour' First Class.
-@Lotus Eater

Omo : The bill amount could be real...but having said that many of my province richer families have illegal extension wires that run from their homes to their poorer neighbours homes whom pay a small fixed amount of money per month for the fixed hourly electricity usage...(nibor hood)